Best swaddling solution for 3-month old?

Old May 5th 06, 05:36 AM posted to misc.kids

Default Best swaddling solution for 3-month old?

In article ,
Chookie wrote:

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Crib sheets are common--they're just the fitted
ones with elastic in the corners to fit them over the
mattress. For some reason, flat top sheets are unusual.

What do people use instead of a top sheet, then?
picturing babies being tickled by woollen blankets

I never used a top sheet with my babies. They had baby blankets (which
weren't scratchy) and blanket sleepers for when it was really cold.
Didn't use top sheets until they were into a regular bed instead of a
crib.

Old May 5th 06, 05:47 AM posted to misc.kids

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Crib sheets are common--they're just the fitted
ones with elastic in the corners to fit them over the
mattress. For some reason, flat top sheets are unusual.

What do people use instead of a top sheet, then?
picturing babies being tickled by woollen blankets

Most people use soft blankets. It's rare to
find a woolen crib blanket here too ;-) Many people
use no blankets at all (SIDS risk) and just dress
the child warmly enough.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old May 5th 06, 05:56 AM posted to misc.kids

Have a look at Babies Galore or other baby stores. I'm in the Sutherland
Shire and there is a baby shop in Gymea that sells 1m square muslin wraps as
well as a selection of thicker cotton wraps. You can also get smaller wraps
from Big W and other department stores that carry baby goods.

Another alternative is to go to Home Yardage (do they still exist?) or
another store that sells fabric by length (some K-marts do, check your
local) and buy a length of cotton. A piece 1.2m square should do the trick
for a long time. Just make sure to go over the edge so you don't get loose
fibres.

You sig and email address say that you are in Sydney, Australia. You can buy
flat cot sheets and cot sheets sets from Target, Pumpkin Patch, K-mart,
Myer, David Jones, baby stores, the list just goes on and on and on... Wraps
are also available from most of these stores.

"Chookie" wrote in message

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Parenthood is like the modern stone washing process for denim jeans. You
may
Kerry Cue

Old May 5th 06, 02:00 PM posted to misc.kids

dragonlady wrote:

In article ,
Chookie wrote:

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Crib sheets are common--they're just the fitted
ones with elastic in the corners to fit them over the
mattress. For some reason, flat top sheets are unusual.

What do people use instead of a top sheet, then?
picturing babies being tickled by woollen blankets

I never used a top sheet with my babies. They had baby blankets (which
weren't scratchy) and blanket sleepers for when it was really cold.
Didn't use top sheets until they were into a regular bed instead of a
crib.

My mom made top sheets for my crib which had a hole in them for my
head and the sheet zipped up so just my head was sticking out. She
did this so I couldn't suck my thumb I think. I never saw any of
these sheets, but she told me about them.

I didn't use a top sheet either - mostly because the babies didn't
stay put in the bed in any particular configuration but 'traveled'.
[In those days -1961-1971 they slept on their tummies and not on their
backs] So a top sheet would have been completely useless. Also with
the exception of my last child who was born in January, all my babies
were summer babies and slept in as little as was feasible for quite a
few months. A diaper and maybe a little shirt.

Even in those days we didn't have woolen blankets.

Old May 5th 06, 03:32 PM posted to misc.kids

On Fri, 05 May 2006 14:29:13 +1000, Chookie
wrote:

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Crib sheets are common--they're just the fitted
ones with elastic in the corners to fit them over the
mattress. For some reason, flat top sheets are unusual.

What do people use instead of a top sheet, then?
picturing babies being tickled by woollen blankets

We never used sheets or blankets on top of our babies. We used a
sleep sack in the winter with a regular sleeper underneath. We had
ones that had long sleeves though rather than these.

http://www.babyinabag.com/

http://snipurl.com/q2kk

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old May 5th 06, 06:35 PM posted to misc.kids

In article ,
Rosalie B. wrote:

I didn't use a top sheet either - mostly because the babies didn't
stay put in the bed in any particular configuration but 'traveled'.
[In those days -1961-1971 they slept on their tummies and not on their
backs] So a top sheet would have been completely useless.

I still don't use a top sheet. Various sleepers in our house have a
duvet, polarfleece blankets, and a comforter. The duvet cover, the
comforter, and the blankets all go in the washing machine. (I sleep
under a fleece blanket, and wash it frequently because I have allergies.)
Old May 6th 06, 06:16 AM posted to misc.kids

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Most people use soft blankets. It's rare to
find a woolen crib blanket here too ;-) Many people
use no blankets at all (SIDS risk) and just dress
the child warmly enough.

Blankets are NOT a SIDS risk -- that's doonas/duvets/conforters, things that
you can sink into a bit.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old May 6th 06, 07:34 AM posted to misc.kids

Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward wrote:
Hi,

My daughter who's nearly three months likes to sleep swaddled at night.
Initially we wrapped her in a receiving blanket but as soon as she
started to wriggle it would come undone, so we've been using a
swaddling wrap called Kiddopotamus, which we received as a gift. I
believe it was the smallest size and it's served us well till now -
she's grown too long for it (23 inches, was 20 at birth).

We tried using safety pins with a receiving blanket but that was no
good at all.

We also tried a swaddling wrap by First Years which we found at Target
which is supposed to be one size fits all, and either we couldn't
figure it out or else it's just completely useless at her size (23
inches).

So I was wondering if anyone can recommend something more effective.

Many thanks!

If she is wiggling free maybe she isn't so happy about being swaddled
any more? I know our son's foster Mom swaddled him while she had him -
first 4 weeks. When we got him home it became apparent fairly quickly
that he wanted no part of swaddling. I know babies can change in
what they like and dislike.
-L.

Old May 6th 06, 02:11 PM posted to misc.kids

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Most people use soft blankets. It's rare to
find a woolen crib blanket here too ;-) Many people
use no blankets at all (SIDS risk) and just dress
the child warmly enough.

Blankets are NOT a SIDS risk -- that's doonas/duvets/conforters, things that
you can sink into a bit.

But many organizations are recommending no blankets
as well, and instead encouraging sleeping bags or sleepers
or such appropriate to the season. So, a number of folks
aren't using blankets or sheets.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old May 7th 06, 12:25 PM posted to misc.kids

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Most people use soft blankets. It's rare to
find a woolen crib blanket here too ;-) Many people
use no blankets at all (SIDS risk) and just dress
the child warmly enough.

Blankets are NOT a SIDS risk -- that's doonas/duvets/conforters, things
that
you can sink into a bit.

But many organizations are recommending no blankets
as well, and instead encouraging sleeping bags or sleepers
or such appropriate to the season. So, a number of folks
aren't using blankets or sheets.

That seems to me to go beyond the research evidence! I am surprised it has had
such an effect on the sale of flat sheets, especially as people in mk*
regularly mention bumpers, which are a definite SIDS risk factor. Very odd!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue