Local Scouting Suffers in Constitutional Fight

Old May 10th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.scouting.issues,alt.religion.christianity,misc.kids,misc.education

Default Local Scouting Suffers in Constitutional Fight

In article , toto says...

On Tue, 09 May 2006 20:56:42 -0000, Brian Westley
wrote:

"Stan" writes:
Brian Westley wrote:
"Stan" writes:
Instead of comparing homosexuality to skin color, how about the more
accurate comparison of "same-sex adults sexually attracted to each
other" to "adult siblings sexually attracted to each other". With such
a more accurate comparison, it's clear that the BSA policy makes
complete sense.

Ah, but comparing atheists to Jews is "totally inappropriate",
right, hypocrite?

HUH?

You refuse to answer hypothetical questions where Jewish kids
are treated by public schools in the same way atheist kids are
treated now by public schools that charter Cub Scout Packs by
claiming the analogy is inappropriate. Are you ready to answer
such questions now?

?????

Jewish boys are accepted as Boy Scouts.

http://www.jewishscouting.org/lit/scouting.html

They're arguing about each others' analogies; neither has said that Jewish boys
aren't accepted as Boy Scouts.

Banty

Old May 10th 06, 10:41 AM posted to rec.scouting.issues,alt.religion.christianity,misc.kids,misc.education

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Stan wrote:

Brian Westley wrote:

Stan has been asked what he would do if public schools owned &
operated private, discriminatory clubs that are sponsored by the
public school, yet exclude Jewish boys (and only Jewish boys)
as members, as an analogy to the current situation where public
schools REALLY DO sponsor Cub Scout Packs that exclude atheists.

Stan ducks the question, saying it isn't a fair comparison.

What I say Brian, is that it's not a VALID comparison, and in reply to
a similar invalid comparison by Chimp, I've explained why it's invalid.

Here are two arguments I have come up with concerning the
question of the validity of the hypothetical analogy. One of the
arguments holds that the analogy is valid and the other holds
that it is not valid:

1. It is a valid comparison because in the case of the hypothetical
example a group of boys is being excluded solely on religious
grounds, same as in the case of what is really happening where a
group of boys is being excluded solely on religious grounds.
Same reason, different group (SRDG).

2. It is not a valid comparison because it is "natural?" for "normal?"
people to want to discriminate against atheists, but only some
nutcases such as Nazis and Ku Klux Klansmen and Militant Jihadists
and Aryan Nations types would want to discriminate against Jews.
Being discriminated against by nutcases is much worse and much
more scary than being discriminated against by "normal?" people.

Sam Heywood
-- Message handled by Pine, Version 4.62