A Vent about baby girl clothes.

Old January 15th 04, 02:06 AM
Nic

Default A Vent about baby girl clothes.

I can count on one hand the number of infant dresses we have had for our 3
girls. Babies R Us usually has a good selection of pant sets for baby

girls
that are brighter and not so pepto-bismally.

And FWIW, my 2 year old has pajamas from the Gap that are blue and have
trains all over them. She'll choose those every night if I let her.

yup my dd loves her brothers tomas the tank pjs and would wear these
everynight if given the chance!

Nic

Old January 15th 04, 02:06 AM
HollyLewis

The whole thing about making sure your baby's gender is identifiable early
on is relatively silly, though. It's not as though a 12mo cares whether a
stranger calls him a girl (or vice versa).

Right -- and as a mother I don't care either. Which is why I always found it
amusing that when people guessed wrong and then discovered their error (I
didn't bother correcting a passerby, but if I were having an actual
conversation with someone I'd provide the correct pronoun), they would
unfailingly *apologize*!

I mean, if the baby's dressed in a plain green romper, why would I be offended
that you couldn't tell?

I have a friend who has an older daughter and a younger son. I visited her
last summer when her son was a newborn and wanted to bring her some "boy
clothes" since her DH was having a fit about her dressing the kid in his
sister's hand-me-downs. So I went through the baby clothes I have stored and
it was funny how hard it was for me to gather much that was obviously "boy".
Just as well that she didn't really need any of the smallest sizes, because
*everything* I have in 0-3m is pretty androgynous.

I only started buying "boy" clothes when DS got into the toddler sizes, where
it's harder to find unisex stuff, and DS himself began to have an interest in
trains and trucks. :-)

Holly
Mom to Camden, almost 3
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old January 15th 04, 06:50 AM
CY

"Jill" wrote in message
.com...
I am not
the type to be offended when strangers come up and ask "How old is he?" of
my daughter. In about a year she will look girly enough.

LOL, I didn't think I was too, until I had my beautiful DD and I just
couldn't believe how many people assumed she was a boy, regardless of
whether she was wearing pink or not. I felt that she was too "pretty" to
look like a boy and did find myself getting, if not offended, at least
irritated, *especially* when she *was* wearing pink! So, dress her in
whatever you like IMO, people will get it wrong anyway!!!

Old January 15th 04, 08:34 AM
Cheryl

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:44:12 -0500, "Sophie"
wrote:

I honestly found dresses to be a pain till Charlotte was about 3 or 4 then
they were great (particularly for going to the bathroom). On babies they
look uncomfortable to me, they ride up. Certainly when the baby is crawling
a dress will do nothing but stress her out when she constantly crawls on it
and does a face plant

I liked dresses for the pre-crawling stage because they were easier to
manage and seemed cooler in summer. Now that my daughter is trying to
learn to walk I am using my sister's theory of putting her in dresses
to encourage her to get off the floor and onto her feet. My main
gripe about dresses is that they look so unfinished when people don't
cover up the nappy (diaper) with either some pretty pants or a nappy
cover.

--
Cheryl
Mum to DS#1 (11 Mar 99), DS#2 (4 Oct 00)
Old January 15th 04, 08:34 AM
Cheryl

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:59:44 -0800, "Circe" wrote:

Still, I think it's an odd phenomenon: curly hair = girl, straight hair =
boy.

Bingo. And then you get the people who believe that because their
girl babies were bald that all bald babies are girls, and those who
believe that because their boy babies were bald that all bald babies
are boys. You just can't win.

Personally I bought predominantly navy and white for my first child
without knowing his gender because that was what I wanted to dress my
baby in. There is still a fair amount of non-pink girl clothes
available in the shops near me, my 6 month old niece wears a lot of
purple and green as well as yellow and pink.

Old January 15th 04, 12:16 PM
Sue

Gosh, I never dressed the girls up in dresses when they were babies. It just
wasn't practical. They lived in onsies and sleepers probably their first
year. The only time they wore dresses if we were getting pictures taken or
something really special.

Personally I like pink. I didn't buy everything pink though. Like you said,
there are other pastel colors to choose from and yes you can even get blue
if you want. Although, I will warn you, however you dress your little one
right now as a little baby, she may very well have a preference when she is
a toddler or older child and it might be pink. My last daughter's preference
though is red and isn't into pinky/girly stuff, while the other two girls
went through a pink/girly phase and there was no stopping them. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Jill wrote in message
.com...
Argh! Why does everyone think all little girls and girls baby clothes have
to be pink! There is at least yellow and other colors. All the clothes
people are getting for me and an awful lot of what is in the stores is

pink
pink pink. A lot of them are cute, granted. But if you don't want your

girl
in pink, there's white or cream with pink flowery designs, and yellow

and-
well mainly, it's soft pastel colors.

Blue is my favorite color. I LOVE blue. You can find blue *dresses*, but

if
you dress your baby in blue layettes or onesies or tops and pants, people
will automatically think it is boyish.

My mom got very upset when I bought my not-yet-born daughter a white onsie
with little red and blue cars and tow trucks on it. (DH's husband has a
wrecker service and I thought the onesie was just adorable) but my mom
insisted everyone will think it is a boy and it's not feminine and cute.

She
said I have terrible taste in clothes and no one puts their baby girls in
that.

So!! I do plan to get a few blue layettes for my girl too. I will contain
myself and do the pink dress thing, but I AM going to dress my girl in

blue
and not always dresses!! (It is not such a big deal when they get up to be
older toddlers, the problem area is when they are little babies). I am not

Old January 15th 04, 12:51 PM
Linz

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:35:33 GMT, lynn wrote:

In article ,
"Jill" wrote:

So!! I do plan to get a few blue layettes for my girl too. I will contain
myself and do the pink dress thing, but I AM going to dress my girl in blue
and not always dresses!!

Go for it! When we decorated the nursery I painted the walls yellow and
put in blue carpet. People said, "blue, what if it's a girl?" I said,
"Then she'll be a girl with blue carpeting." Sheesh.

Oh, you have our nursery! We chose primary colours because I'm not
going to redecorate for a few years so it had to last not only a baby
but a toddler and I don't like pastels for toddlers!
--
Linz
YB: 12 weeks, around 13lbs
Old January 15th 04, 12:57 PM
Linz

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:35:40 +0000 (UTC), Jacqui
wrote:

Jill wibbled

Argh! Why does everyone think all little girls and girls baby
clothes have to be pink! There is at least yellow and other
colors. All the clothes people are getting for me and an awful lot
of what is in the stores is pink pink pink. A lot of them are
cute, granted. But if you don't want your girl in pink, there's
white or cream with pink flowery designs, and yellow and- well
mainly, it's soft pastel colors.

Similarly, boys stuff is all blue, khaki or brown. T looks *good* in
red, fuchsia, orange, yellow, heck even salmon pink.

So does YoungBloke. In fact, we've not found a colour he doesn't look
good in yet. My favourite newborn babygrows were the bright red (he
was either a Chelsea pensioner or Santa Claus!); navy and light blue
stripy; and the grey.

The girls here seem to get more choice - the boys' sections in our
local Adams, Mothercare and Debenhams are all very much smaller than
the girls'; and while Next has equal space for each, the colours are
mostly dull on the boys' side.

Boots has some nice stuff. Just got a bright red body-vest in the sale
there.

I bought as much gender-neutral stuff as I could find (mostly white
with or without prints) before he was born, but am quite disappointed
in a lot of the stuff available now. I still look in the girls'
sections (he has a lovely Sheep top from Debenhams) but most of it is
flowery which I don't like. I don't want "Boy Racer" tshirts for him,
that's an image I don't want to project onto him (especially given
exactly where we live, which is a reference lost on most posters here
but the two that know might get why g).

I don't mind some of the stuff I've seen - Bloke's into F1 and we both
go and watch a friend racing his Ford Crapi, so the occasional t-shirt
or vest with cars on is okay.
--
Linz
YB: 12 weeks, around 13lbs
Old January 15th 04, 01:01 PM
Linz

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:11:55 +0000, Susan
wrote:

In article ,
"Jill" wrote:

Argh! Why does everyone think all little girls and girls baby clothes have
to be pink! There is at least yellow and other colors. All the clothes
people are getting for me and an awful lot of what is in the stores is pink
pink pink.

It may not be in the same country as you, but have a look at
www.susumama.co.uk for some great kid clothes. Bright colors, the works.

Woo! Bookmarked!
--
Linz