formula fed, 9 month old baby girl refuses bottle. Low weight gain

Old March 11th 04, 09:17 PM
ur

Default formula fed, 9 month old baby girl refuses bottle. Low weight gain

Birth weight of our little girl was 7lb 5oz. At six month she weighed
13lb 8oz.
She is into 9 th month now. For last couple of weeks she is refusing
to take bottle. She is formula fed. She is barely drinking 12 oz of
formula. Occasionally she spits. We tried mixing flavours like
vanilla, chocolate, strawberry. But no use. She takes 3 ounces of
formula at a time. She takes solids of up to one jar a day. In the 7
the month, she used to drink 28 ounces of formula and eat 1 jar of
solids. So suddenly she has stopped taking formula. Doctor is worried
about dehydration and said that she should at least take 20 ounces of
formula a day and NOT 12 ounces. Otherwise she is active, crawling and
stands with support. Her weight gain also does not seem to be in
correspondence with her birth weight.
I think if we we give her more solid she would definitely take it, but
she might skip on formula. Thats why we are avoiding giving her too
much soild. Though she is very interested in our food, whenever we
eat.
Doctor has put her on Zantac to see if that improves her appetite.
Does any one know, how we can improve her appetitie for formula? Or is
there any medicine we can try?
Note: We use Enfamil Lipil

Thanks a lot
ur
Old March 11th 04, 09:32 PM
Welches

ur wrote in message
om...
[...]

Add formula to the food? Have you tried a cup rather than a bottle? At that
age dd#1 was still breastfed and you don't know what they're taking so I
wouldn't worry unless she seems dehydrated. I wouldn't give a child
medication for that if she seems healthy either. Not every child gains as
their birth weight.
Debbie

Old March 11th 04, 10:05 PM
Sophie

"ur" wrote in message
om...
Birth weight of our little girl was 7lb 5oz. At six month she weighed
13lb 8oz.
She is into 9 th month now. For last couple of weeks she is refusing
to take bottle.

Try a sippy cup, or a cup with a straw?

She is formula fed. She is barely drinking 12 oz of
formula. Occasionally she spits. We tried mixing flavours like
vanilla, chocolate, strawberry. But no use. She takes 3 ounces of
formula at a time. She takes solids of up to one jar a day. In the 7
the month, she used to drink 28 ounces of formula and eat 1 jar of
solids. So suddenly she has stopped taking formula. Doctor is worried
about dehydration and said that she should at least take 20 ounces of
formula a day and NOT 12 ounces.

Is she drinking other things besides formula, like juice, Gatorade, water -
things that are filling her up, making her not want the formula?

Otherwise she is active, crawling and
stands with support.

Those are all things that can thin a child out IME.

Her weight gain also does not seem to be in correspondence with her birth

weight.
I think if we we give her more solid she would definitely take it, but
she might skip on formula. Thats why we are avoiding giving her too
much soild. Though she is very interested in our food, whenever we
eat.
Doctor has put her on Zantac to see if that improves her appetite.
Does any one know, how we can improve her appetitie for formula? Or is
there any medicine we can try?
Note: We use Enfamil Lipil

Thanks a lot
ur

Maybe try a different formula? Are you suddenly mixing it with different
water, making it taste different/bad?

Old March 12th 04, 01:47 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
ur wrote:

*Birth weight of our little girl was 7lb 5oz. At six month she weighed
*13lb 8oz.
*She is into 9 th month now. For last couple of weeks she is refusing
*to take bottle. She is formula fed. She is barely drinking 12 oz of

[snip]

Have you tried just giving her a cup, or a spoon to eat the formula with
like soup? I know my daughter has preferred a cup her entire life and my
son moved from bottle to cup at about 10 mos. They were both breastfed,
though.

Old March 12th 04, 04:22 PM
Stephanie Stowe

"ur" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Does your doc know she is getting Lipil? My doc said that the AAP does not
recommend it as it has not been proven to be safe. Also, if doc is worried
about dehydration, why does it have to be formula? Can a 9 month old drink
water if getting adequate nutrician from solids? This is an honest question
which I do not know the answer to. If it has to be formula, maybe it is the
vessel she objects to, the bottle, and not the contents, the formula. Maybe
she would like a soft spouted sippy.

Old March 12th 04, 05:18 PM
ur

"Welches" wrote in message ...
ur wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thx Debbie for ur kind response. Doctor says she should be taking at
least 20 oz of liquid for not to dehydrate..thats why we are
concerned.
Old March 12th 04, 05:26 PM
ur

"Sophie" wrote in message ...
"ur" wrote in message
om...
Birth weight of our little girl was 7lb 5oz. At six month she weighed
13lb 8oz.
She is into 9 th month now. For last couple of weeks she is refusing
to take bottle.

Try a sippy cup, or a cup with a straw?

Tried..she takes a sip or 2 but not much..

She is formula fed. She is barely drinking 12 oz of
formula. Occasionally she spits. We tried mixing flavours like
vanilla, chocolate, strawberry. But no use. She takes 3 ounces of
formula at a time. She takes solids of up to one jar a day. In the 7
the month, she used to drink 28 ounces of formula and eat 1 jar of
solids. So suddenly she has stopped taking formula. Doctor is worried
about dehydration and said that she should at least take 20 ounces of
formula a day and NOT 12 ounces.

Is she drinking other things besides formula, like juice, Gatorade, water -
things that are filling her up, making her not want the formula?

No..we are not giving her any other liquid at all..to keep her
empty/thirsty and wanting formula...Even we reduced her soild in
take..just in case if that was filling her up..She does not like juice
anyway..Though she loves water

Otherwise she is active, crawling and
stands with support.

Those are all things that can thin a child out IME.

Thats what we tend to think..however couter argument could be that ,
activity should make her hungry and she should drink more which is no
happening

Her weight gain also does not seem to be in correspondence with her birth

weight.
I think if we we give her more solid she would definitely take it, but
she might skip on formula. Thats why we are avoiding giving her too
much soild. Though she is very interested in our food, whenever we
eat.
Doctor has put her on Zantac to see if that improves her appetite.
Does any one know, how we can improve her appetitie for formula? Or is
there any medicine we can try?
Note: We use Enfamil Lipil

Thanks a lot
ur

Maybe try a different formula? Are you suddenly mixing it with different
water, making it taste different/bad?

We tried similac, enfamil lipil, not lipil, flavours.. I am wondering
if we should try tomato powder or flavour if I can get it in grocery
shop..do you know any brand especiall good or made for babies