nanny question

Old June 4th 04, 02:44 PM
Stephanie Stowe

Default nanny question

How would one go about a driver's license and a background check is one were
seeking a nanny? Do you all have any opinion about finding a nanny through
an agency vs by yourself?

I am investigating many child care options right now. I am hating everything
I see in the daycare scene.

Thanks

Old June 6th 04, 05:49 AM
Kara H

"Stephanie Stowe" wrote:

How would one go about a driver's license and a background check is one

were
seeking a nanny? Do you all have any opinion about finding a nanny through
an agency vs by yourself?

I am investigating many child care options right now. I am hating

everything
I see in the daycare scene.

de-lurk

Well, I'm only 18 but I have experience with this on a few levels. First, I
was just hired as a full-time summer nanny. Second, we have had babysitters
my whole life that have come to our house versus any centers or in-home
daycare type situations. It has always been just our family and it worked
and still works out great. My mom found it very important to have the
individual attention and be able to remain in our own home. While they would
have preferred one parent not working at all, it was impractical with our
situation and the in-home sitter has really worked out well. They are very
happy with the way it has all turned out.

I think you most important resource is references, references and more
references. It is important to not let the sitter think you don't trust him
or her but you also need to cover your bases. I would ask them these
questions and then see if their references have anything else to add or any
different information. I was completely shocked that the people I am
babysitting for didn't ask ANYTHING about my driving record, insurance, how
long I've had my license, experiences....nothing. Especially because I'm
basically there to drive the kids around (2 girls ages 10 and 13). Anyway, I
think that if you talk to the references and they don't seem to have
anything negative with regards to the sitter's driving or have any
additional information about their record, you should trust their judgment.
Something that was brought up in the thread about references was to ask the
reference why the sitter isn't with them any more if it applies. This is
VERY important information, I think. It can tell you a lot about the sitter.
I hope you have read that thread or plan to, it has some good things to ask
in it.

Otherwise, I think you should follow your gut and use any and all references
you are provided with! Best of luck and I hope you are happy with your
decision to hire a private nanny. I think it's a great choice.

-Kara.

re-lurk

Old June 6th 04, 07:49 AM
HollyLewis

How would one go about a driver's license and a background check is one were
seeking a nanny? Do you all have any opinion about finding a nanny through
an agency vs by yourself?

Most people I know hire on the basis of personal references, and don't do much
about an official background check, but there is something called Trustline
which has an 800 number you can call. Nannies have to register with them, and
then they maintain basic background info which any caller can check. I don't
know whether it operates only in California, but if it does there are probably
similar services elsewhere.

You can also hire a private investigator to do a basic background check. It
should cost no more than a couple hundred dollars and is a lot easier than
trying to collect much information yourself.

Do you have a local "childcare resource and referral agency"? If you do,
they'll have lots of useful information on hiring nannies and they probably
maintain a file of available people -- you can get a list of referrals for free
-- but they may or may not have done any kind of background check.

I don't know anyone around here who's hired through an agency. Too expensive.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
and Laurel, 1 week

"How to find a nanny" Mike General 0 May 4th 04 03:36 PM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM