fennel during pregnancy, please help

Old February 17th 04, 05:05 PM
Meena

Default fennel during pregnancy, please help

Hi,
I am 30 weeks pregnant and have been eating about 5-9 gms of fennel
everyday for last 6-8 weeks. I was browsing the web and found that
fennel can be harmful during pregnancy.
Does any body have any more information about this. I am worried sick
and would appreciate any information.

thanks,
Meena
Old February 17th 04, 05:24 PM
Threnody

On 17 Feb 2004, (Meena) wrote:

Hi,
I am 30 weeks pregnant and have been eating about 5-9 gms of fennel
everyday for last 6-8 weeks. I was browsing the web and found that
fennel can be harmful during pregnancy.
Does any body have any more information about this. I am worried sick
and would appreciate any information.

First of all, let me tell you that if fennel were truly harmful in the
amounts you eat it, there would be significantly fewer Italians and
Indians in the world.

Secondly, a link for you to read:

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/n...gs/101100.shtm

(or shortened to http://tinyurl.com/2gusw)

The part you may be most interested in reads thus:

Special Information If You Are Pregnant or Breastfeeding
If you are pregnant, avoid any Fennel preparation other than
the herb itself or Fennel tea.

How To Prepare
Crushed or ground Fennel seed can be made into a tea.

Typical Dosage
Fennel is taken orally. The usual daily dosage is:

Fennel oil: 0.1 to 0.6 milliliters (about 2 to 12 d rops)
Fennel seed: 5 to 7 grams (about 1 to 1-1/2 teasp oonfuls)

So go have a big chunk of Italian sausage for me and enjoy yourself.

--Threnody

Old February 17th 04, 08:34 PM
Ilse Witch

What I recall is that fennel can indeed be harmful, but it depends what
you are taking (root, leaves, seeds) and what for. As for me, I drink one
cup of fennel tea a day, and will continue doing so, since it helps me
enormously with morningsickness and IBS. It allows me to keep down food
and liquid, the lack of which would be more harmful to the pregnancy than
any of the effects fennel can have.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (19m)