Appropriate age for Gym

Old July 21st 04, 04:44 PM
Chenthil

Default Appropriate age for Gym

Hello All,

Please pardon me if this question has already been answered. My son is
15 months old. I would like to know when is the appropriate age
(medically recommended) for putting him in a gym that would develop
his muscles, height etc. Any link or info would be very much helpful

Thank You in advance

Old July 22nd 04, 05:31 AM
Kevin Karplus

In article , Louise wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:44:38 EDT, (Chenthil)
wrote:
Please pardon me if this question has already been answered. My son is
15 months old. I would like to know when is the appropriate age
(medically recommended) for putting him in a gym that would develop
his muscles, height etc. Any link or info would be very much helpful

I don't think anything can affect one's height other than getting good
nutrition. Definitely not exercises. (Well, except for human growth
hormone.)

In addition to good nutrition, adequate sleep is important for getting
one's full growth, as is avoiding various diseases. Posture exercises
do contribute to one's height, though not to bone length.

I believe that substantial muscle-building exercises can wait until
the teenage years. Young children (like 15 months) mainly need to
develop control, not strength. Crawling, walking, picking things up,
.... are all appropriate exercises at this age. There are baby gym
classes around with age-appropriate acitivities, but these are mainly
to entertain the parents and kids. Any safe play space with lots of
things to manipulate will provide plenty of exercise at this age.

--
Kevin Karplus
http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus

Old July 28th 04, 11:37 AM
Jennifer Claro

Hi Chenthil,

If there is a YMCA near you, you can check out the programs that they
have for 2-year-olds (your son could go next year). They are great for
activity, fun, and sharing with other 2-year-olds. They do
"gymnastics" and other physical activities as well as a summer swim
program (not really swimming, just having fun in the water and
develpoing water skills). My son is in this program and he really
likes it!

Jennifer