Dodge Caravan ignition problems

Old December 5th 03, 04:39 PM
Leigh Menconi

Default Dodge Caravan ignition problems

I know this isn't a car newsgroup but I figured a lot of others here might
have Caravans, too. We just had to have our ingition cylinder replaced and
the guy that came to tow the van to the dealer said that he sees this same
problem "all the time" and that the cars should be recalled. According to
the dealer, there has not been a recall for this reason. I'm just wondering
how prevalent/common this problem is because I've had previous cars much
longer and have *never* had this problem with a car before (the Caravan is a
'99). It was not an insignificant amount to have it repaired, over $200,
and I read on the cartalk.com website that some people have had their
ignition cylinder fail repeatedly. Any one have any comments on this?

Leigh in raLeigh

ps I'm also concerned that the interlock feature is not used in this
vehicle: our van recently rolled backward when the gear was shifted by a
child who did not have their foot on the brake as is required on most
*other* vehicles. Over $2000 damage when it hit a tree. Luckily it hit the
tree and didn't roll all the way across/into traffic and into the house
across the street!