RSV - how is it different from any other virus?

Old February 1st 07, 02:11 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Default RSV - how is it different from any other virus?

Dd#3 has a baby who is just a year old now, and she writes me that her
youngest child has RSV. I looked it up on the CDC website, but I
don't see how this is that different from any other virus exactly - is
this something that we've had all along, and just now they've given it
a specific name?

She wrote me (and I've substituted dd#2 in the place of the name of
the child, but this is my grandchild, in this section and not my child
- and keep in mind the mother has a very wry sense of humor)

dd #2 has RSV - got her tested last Thurs (after she'd run a fever and was cranky as all get out for 3 days). She's fine now - kicking that virus's butt. When I took her to the doctor she (the doctor) said she wanted to test her for flu, rsv and get a chest x-ray (because of the congestion). Now, when we first came in all the nurses were saying how cute dd#2 was with her bald head and rosy cheeks - what a sweetie. Then they needed to weigh her and dd#2 screamed like we were dipping her in hot oil. They took her temp(under the arm) and Jenna screamed some more. The dr looked at her and when the stethoscope touched dd#2 she screamed again. Was real easy to look at her throat because she was screaming still. I had her quieted down when the nurse came in with the swab for the flu test (nasal swab) - dd#2 started screaming before the nurse even got close. The nurse had to go out to find the rsv test (said she'd never done that one and didn't know where they were) - another nasal swab

and again with the screaming. Then the nurse says that we have to go take the x-ray and I said good luck with that and I don't think there is too much wrong with this kid's lungs - since my ears were now bleeding from her screaming! So I try to help hold dd#2 for the x-ray, but I can't hold the bugger still. She has to go get another nurse to help her and miraculously they do get two good shots (you can see dd#2's wide open mouth in the lateral view - screaming). Nurses not thinking that the demon child is so cute now! Nothing wrong with her lungs - just the rsv (what the dr called fluff) and the rsv test was positive. The good news is that she doesn't have an ear infection or pneumonia - two big side infections related to rsv. But she's better now. She'll even let me put her down sometimes and she's eating solids again.

My dd doesn't seem too concerned - should she be?

I think this dd has been 'blessed' with three very difficult kids. As
an example, her oldest was visiting my ds (his uncle) and they wanted
to give him his birthday presents a few days early - the child refused
to open them because it wasn't his birthday yet, and no one could
persuade him. Her middle one is the one who wanted to be carried in
England.

Old February 1st 07, 02:33 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Dd#3 has a baby who is just a year old now, and she writes me that her
youngest child has RSV. I looked it up on the CDC website, but I
don't see how this is that different from any other virus exactly - is
this something that we've had all along, and just now they've given it
a specific name?

RSV is a virus that virtually every kid gets. Most kids just get a cold,
with running nose, sneezing, feeling a little under the weather.

Unfortunately, a few get problems with airway swelling and inflammation.
They call this "bronchiolitis." Kids with bronchiolitis have wheezing.

Apparently your dgd is one of the ones who had bronchiolitis. However, it
doesn't sound like it was very serious. There was nothing mentioned about
treatments. I suspect that she might have been given some oral treatments.
Your dgd should be just fine. Nothing to worry about.

More serious cases of bronchiolitis require treatment with nebulizers,
hospitalization or even intubation. Fortunately, however, you dgd didn't
require any of this.

Jeff

Old February 1st 07, 03:33 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"Jeff" wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .
Dd#3 has a baby who is just a year old now, and she writes me that her
youngest child has RSV. I looked it up on the CDC website, but I
don't see how this is that different from any other virus exactly - is
this something that we've had all along, and just now they've given it
a specific name?

RSV is a virus that virtually every kid gets. Most kids just get a cold,
with running nose, sneezing, feeling a little under the weather.

Thanks that was what it sounded like to me. It was only mentioned as
an afterthought in her email - we were away at the time it happened,
and she didn't write us at the time.

Old February 1st 07, 11:50 PM posted to misc.kids
Rose Garten

Rosalie B. wrote:
[...]

RSV while for most people shows up as nothing more than a cold it can be
very serious in infants. One article that I read says that it is one of
the leading cause for hospitalization for infants under one year. DD
had RSV when she was around 3 months. She had a horrible barky cough
that made it hard for her to even nurse. In between coughing bouts
though she was a smiley little angel. Dh and I had both had very mild
colds and they said we probably gave it to her. I read somewhere that
there is a suspected link between RSV and asthma. DD has been diagnosed
with illness induced asthma. I think there was a major hype about RSV a
few years back because they were getting kids in who were seriously ill
from what was thought to be a "simple cold". I think they found that it
was RSV and put out the word. It can be easily passed because most
people think oh its just a cold/stuffynose/sinus and don't realize that
it is something that can be serious.

Old February 2nd 07, 10:25 AM posted to misc.kids
Irrational Number

Jeff wrote:

RSV is a virus that virtually every kid gets. Most kids just get a cold,
with running nose, sneezing, feeling a little under the weather.

Unfortunately, a few get problems with airway swelling and inflammation.
They call this "bronchiolitis." Kids with bronchiolitis have wheezing.

Rocky got RSV at 10mo. He wheezed, had a horrible
mucousy runny nose (most of which was sneezed onto
me), and had a high fever for several days.

More serious cases of bronchiolitis require treatment with nebulizers,
hospitalization or even intubation. Fortunately, however, you dgd didn't
require any of this.

I had gotten it first, without knowing what it was.
I just thought I suddenly got asthma, which made
no sense, but I was wheezing. Then, Rocky got it
and he was hospitalized where they gave him oxygen
and nebulizer, then we bought a nebulizer for home.
It was more inconvenient than anything; I had to
wake up every few hours to run the loud, clangy
nebulizer.

-- Anita --
Old February 2nd 07, 01:41 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
news
Jeff wrote:

[...]

Fortunately, most kids do much better and just get a cold. Otherwise,
hospitals would be overun. Pediatrics wards are already busy enough with the
RSV cases that do require hospitalization, and the kids with asthma (which
tends to be worse in winter, esp. with weather changes), influenza and
rotavirus (a nasty diarrhea disease). It's a busy time of the year for
pediatrics and the adult wards, too.

Jeff

-- Anita --

Old February 2nd 07, 09:45 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers

I think there was a major hype about RSV a few years back because they
were getting kids in who were seriously ill from what was thought to be a
"simple cold". I think they found that it was RSV and put out the word.
It can be easily passed because most people think oh its just a
cold/stuffynose/sinus and don't realize that it is something that can be
serious.

I find that quite scary, I don't want to infect other kids, even with a
common cold, and I happily keep my kids away from whatever activity if they
have a cold, they are usually feeling pretty rough at the bad stage anyway,
but what about adults, if my DH stayed of work every time he had a cold,
he'd use up all his sick days and then some (I think we do get more colds
that most adults, as we keep moving around, not because we are compromised
in any way). I guess we just have to continue the hygeine policies of
washing hands and what not, but it does concern me that I or one of my
family could unknowingly pass something on that makes another child
seriously ill.

Anne

Old February 2nd 07, 11:18 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
news ...

I had gotten it first, without knowing what it was.
I just thought I suddenly got asthma, which made
no sense, but I was wheezing. Then, Rocky got it
and he was hospitalized where they gave him oxygen
and nebulizer, then we bought a nebulizer for home.
It was more inconvenient than anything; I had to
wake up every few hours to run the loud, clangy
nebulizer.

Even if stayed in a hotel until you got better and weren't spreading the
virus and bought all new clothes, chances are Rocky would have gotten sick
with it at some point in his first year, anyway. Almost every kid does.

Now, if you go and get one of those incubators boxes with super air
filtration, steralize everything that goes in and only touch him through
plastic gloves, you can protect him from other viruses and bacteria. Of
course, he can't kiss you or his family, real hugs are out and forget about
teaching him to swim.

Bacteria and viruses are part of life.

Jeff

-- Anita --

Old February 3rd 07, 04:30 AM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

wrote in message

My baby caught RSV in the hospital when she was recovering from the heart
surgery she had when she was two weeks old. The RSV reared it's ugly head
one
week after she came home from surgery. She had to be hospitalized for it
but
only because she could not hold her heart medicine down.

That must have been scary, especially after the surgery.

The incubation time for RSV is about four days, so she may have got it at
home. However, I bet she has a runny nose and stuff for a couple days, mean
she may have gotten it at the hospital.

Either way, I am glad that is sounds like your daughter is doing better.

Jeff

Old February 3rd 07, 01:58 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

wrote in message
On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 04:30:12 GMT, in misc.kids "Jeff"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

My baby caught RSV in the hospital when she was recovering from the
heart
surgery she had when she was two weeks old. The RSV reared it's ugly
head
one
week after she came home from surgery. She had to be hospitalized for
it
but
only because she could not hold her heart medicine down.

That must have been scary, especially after the surgery.

The incubation time for RSV is about four days, so she may have got it at
home. However, I bet she has a runny nose and stuff for a couple days,
mean
she may have gotten it at the hospital.

Either way, I am glad that is sounds like your daughter is doing better.

Jeff

She got it in the hospital there is no doub about that.

Whatever. The important thing is that she is doing better now.

Jeff