Child tax credit

Old November 20th 03, 10:57 AM
Joelle

Default Child tax credit

$600 for the year??? Holy crap. I get $461 a month for 2 children. Then
again, I don't get any child support, I wonder if that's taken into account
in the governments calculation.

That's a refund of taxes you have already paid. It's not a support payment of
any kind.

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle
Old November 20th 03, 10:41 PM
CME

"Joelle" wrote in message
$600 for the year??? Holy crap. I get $461 a month for 2 children. Then
again, I don't get any child support, I wonder if that's taken into

account
in the governments calculation.

That's a refund of taxes you have already paid. It's not a support

payment of
any kind.

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle

I don't pay any taxes (well besides GST), I'm a student.

Christine

Old November 21st 03, 01:32 AM
Joelle

I don't pay any taxes (well besides GST), I'm a student

Then you would not get the refund.

Old November 21st 03, 03:27 AM
CME

"Joelle" wrote in message
I don't pay any taxes (well besides GST), I'm a student

Then you would not get the refund.

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle

I only get a GST refund.

Christine

Old November 21st 03, 07:47 AM
Rhonda

"CME" wrote in message news:dEXub.63695$1K.14028@edtnps84...
"Dizzysmamma" wrote in message

"Rhonda" wrote in message
om...
Just curious....Is that $600 for the year? I'm a Canadian and just

curious.

Yep.

Angela

$600 for the year??? Holy crap. I get $461 a month for 2 children. Then
again, I don't get any child support, I wonder if that's taken into account
in the governments calculation.

Christine

That's what I was thinking, Christine. I have EXACTLY the same
situation as you. I have two kids, get $461.21 per month and I also
get no child support. I just figured the difference was because
Canada is different.
Old November 21st 03, 07:49 AM
Rhonda

"Rhonda" wrote in message
om...
Just curious....Is that $600 for the year? I'm a Canadian and just

curious.

Yep.

Angela

$600 for the year??? Holy crap. I get $461 a month for 2 children. Then
again, I don't get any child support, I wonder if that's taken into account
in the governments calculation.

Christine

Oops...no, that's 421.23...I was a little off...but still a lot
different than $1200 a year!
Old November 21st 03, 03:40 PM
CME

"Rhonda" wrote in message
m...

"Rhonda" wrote in message
om...
Just curious....Is that $600 for the year? I'm a Canadian and just
curious.

Yep.

Angela

$600 for the year??? Holy crap. I get $461 a month for 2 children.

Then
again, I don't get any child support, I wonder if that's taken into

account
in the governments calculation.

Christine

Oops...no, that's 421.23...I was a little off...but still a lot
different than $1200 a year!

I just looked at my bank account and it's $416.91 Weird, so I was getting
more LAST year. Ah well, it's a nice little sum to get in the middle of
the month.

Christine

Old November 21st 03, 06:34 PM
kat

"Rhonda" wrote in message
om...

"Rhonda" wrote in message
om...
Just curious....Is that $600 for the year? I'm a Canadian and just
curious.

Yep.

Angela

$600 for the year??? Holy crap. I get $461 a month for 2 children.

Then
again, I don't get any child support, I wonder if that's taken into

account
in the governments calculation.

Christine

That's what I was thinking, Christine. I have EXACTLY the same
situation as you. I have two kids, get $461.21 per month and I also
get no child support. I just figured the difference was because
Canada is different.

I get $211.16 for one, and absolutely no child support, even though I should
be getting it because it's court ordered a year ago last Oct... I don't
think that the child tax credit has anything to do with child support, but I
could be wrong. I get the GST rebate as well, and can't remember how much
that is.

Old November 21st 03, 06:35 PM
kat

"kat" wrote in message

"Tamara" wrote in message

Hello

I'm confused about how the child tax credit will work on the 2003
tax forms. I received a prefund. Will I still be eligible for the
$600-per-child credit or is it subtracted from that? Anyone know?

Thanks for any info

Tamara

Aww... My child tax credit is peanuts compared to that.

My bad...

Old November 21st 03, 11:16 PM
kat

"Nan" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:34:46 GMT, "kat" wrote:

I get $211.16 for one, and absolutely no child support, even though I

should
be getting it because it's court ordered a year ago last Oct... I don't
think that the child tax credit has anything to do with child support,

but I
could be wrong. I get the GST rebate as well, and can't remember how

much
that is.

You're correct... the child tax credit is unrelated to child support
in the US. The child tax credit is nothing more than a tax break for
families to reduce the amount of income tax that we have to pay every
year. Everyone with dependent children received an "advance" in the
form of a check, from the IRS, but that amount will be deducted from
the credit when filing our 2003 income taxes.

Nan

Child tax credit, here anyways, is based on income, so, I found out, it is
related to all income, be it from working, disability, welfare, child
support, etc. If a parent currently gets x amount for their x amount of
children from the child tax benefit, they make a gross income under a
certain amount. Let's say, since I'm not good at explaining things, you
have sole custody of your child, and the non custodial parent pays child
support. If that alimony paying parent, let's say, pays $100 a month, and
let's say you make a total income of $1000/month, then you'd qualify for the
child tax credit because, here anyways, a total of $1100/month total income
isn't high enough to not get the child tax credit. Now, if you make
$1000/month, and your child's mother/father pays $3000/month for child
support, then you have a total income of $4000 a month, and make enough
income to not receive the CTC. So, to my understanding, child support does
play a role, but in most cases, I feel safe enough to assume the majority of
child support paid is not THAT high, although I know it does happen.

Ok, maybe that made no sense. I don't really want to read what I said
because I'm sure I'll be editing until the cows come home.