Kindergarten, Open House -- Opinions?...Long

Old May 7th 04, 06:40 AM
Tina

Default Kindergarten, Open House -- Opinions?...Long

I'm looking for some ideas on how to proceed with my daughter's Kdg.,
which she's scheduled to start in the fall. We had our open house to
meet the teachers and see the classrooms tonight, and I was
disappointed in one of the teachers, and possibly the program as a
whole. I'm not sure what to do, if anything.

Sage is going to be 5 in a few weeks, and she's been in preschool for
2 years. We've recently moved to a new school system that has a good
reputation. Her current Pre-K teacher has talked to us about how what
they teach in Kdg. now is what used to be taught in first grade, and
she's tried to get all the kids ready for this, and Sage is ready.

Beyond ready. She's reading independently, and getting better at it
every day. She's pretty good at addition and subtraction of smaller
numbers and she knows a little bit of multiplication. She's
interested in a lot of different things, and independently
'researches' them, and keeps a 'research book' for her own purposes;
she 'studies' nature (mammals, and birds mostly) and weather, and
recently has become interested in history, so we're reading The Little
House Books together and she's actually learning about the Civil War,
too. She's also very socially able, with many friends, and is able to
play well with all different ages and styles of kids. She's also a
big fan of the Theatre and knows several musicals by heart, and was
recently cast in her first semi-professional show (large community
theatre, some equity actors, but not all).

I was excited that Kdg. would be more like first grade used to be,
because it's very important to me that she be challenged enough to
love learning, and love school as much as possible. Which I know that
every parent wants for their child (to love learning).

Well, it seems that my hopes were a little high for this specific
school. It is a public school, which my husband and I wholeheartedly
support, but there are a lot of private schools around here too, that
might be options. There are two Kdg. teachers at this school, and I
spoke to them both about Sage and what I wanted her to get from
Kindergarten. One of them completely didn't understand me, I don't
think, and if she did, and Sage ends up in her class, I'm afraid we're
in trouble.

They had handed out the State Kdg. booklet, which is called 'What is
expected in Kindergarten'. I asked the teacher if the things in the
booklet were expected at the start or finish of Kdg. She said
'Neither, it's what they will be doing in Kindergarten' [I've since
read the booklet, and it says very specifically: "...a sample of some
of the things your child will need to know and be able to do...for
Kindergarten", which still doesn't exactly answer the question I had,
but it makes it seem like it leans toward things they should know
going in. It also seems like the teacher hasn't read the booklet!]

[In proofreading, I see that this discussion could read like it was a
large group and I kept bringing up individual issues; It was not, this
was one on one] The teacher then went on to tell me that it was OK if
Sage didn't know her letters yet, because some do, and some don't, and
they'll be doing letters in school. I told her that Sage was reading,
and that I was more worried that she'd not enjoy school because it
wouldn't be challenging. She said that it didn't really matter if she
was reading, because Kdg. was all about socialization, learning to
work in a group and having fun. She still thought, it seemed, that
this was what I wanted to hear. I tried a different aspect, and told
her that sometimes Sage gets frustrated if she's doing something over
and over again, that she already knows, both at home and Pre-K, like
on worksheets, and the teacher told me that we shouldn't push Sage to
write if she doesn't want to, and that they'll be sure she has fun in
Kdg.. Another kid interrupted to ask the teacher about homework, and
the teacher said that the *only* homework she'll give is to have your
parents read to you every night.

My husband and I had a good laugh at the idea that we shouldn't push
her, because it would basically be impossible to prevent her from
writing, for example, even if we wanted to! We just allow her access
to writing materials and supplies.

The other teacher later approached us while Sage was helping her
little sister with a puzzle, and she overheard Sage 'teaching' her
sister which shapes were which, including hexagon and pentagon. This
teacher said "Oh, I hope she's in my class!" and we talked for awhile
about the things Sage likes to do, and Pre-K, etc... She said she
thought it was great that she has access to workbooks and notebooks
and books to read at home, and that she has a second teacher in the
classroom sometimes to help the kids who are behind, and she's not had
a kid ahead like this recently, but this additional teacher would also
be able to work with Sage or any others who needed more challenging
material. She thought they'd definitely be able to challenge Sage in
Kdg..

Obviously, I liked the second teacher I described more! The school
doesn't know yet whether they're going to have three or four classes,
but this year, the 'fun' teacher has 2 classes, and the one I like
only has one.

I'm afraid to go request a specific teacher because I know there are
no guarantees, and I don't want to get a reputation as being unhappy
with the teacher before class even starts. I'm also worried that
everyone will feel the same way I did, and the chances of getting into
this class will be slim.

I don't understand how two teachers in the same school could have such
different ideas about academics overall, when all the kids will be
continuing into the same first grades, etc... and I don't see how the
schools do as well as they do on testing if they don't start
*teaching* anything until who knows when! There is going to be
proficiency (sp?) testing in Kdg. here soon, if not this year, next, I
think.

And I'm scared that Sage will end up in the class I don't want her in,
regardless of any request I make, and it will be so boring for her,
I'll want to pull her out to homeschool her -- not a huge problem, but
also not the plan. I just don't see the point in taking her to school
every day to learn letters and shapes and colors when I thought that
was what preschool was for.

I do plan on visiting some of the local private schools, which I
really didn't think I'd be doing, but...

Any opinions and/or advice greatly appreciated.

Tina.
Old May 7th 04, 07:40 AM
Staycalm

"Tina" wrote in message
m...
[...]

If it were me I would talk to the Principal about it. You just have to be
diplomatic but honest and say that at the open day you felt that Teacher X
has picked up on Sage's personality and that you would feel Sage would be
much more comfortable with her. Just don't go in there expecting that it
will be done for you. Be polite and humble. You never know what asking will
achieve. If you don't feel that you are being listened to about the need for
Sage to be extended then you should look at other options.

Liz

Old May 7th 04, 03:12 PM
Cheryl S.

"Tina" wrote in message
m...
The teacher then went on to tell me that it was OK if
Sage didn't know her letters yet, because some do, and
some don't, and they'll be doing letters in school. I told
her that Sage was reading, and that I was more worried
that she'd not enjoy school because it wouldn't be
challenging. She said that it didn't really matter if she was
reading, because Kdg. was all about socialization, learning
to work in a group and having fun. She still thought, it
seemed, that this was what I wanted to hear.

She might have been trying to say that there's more to kindergarten than
academics, and she chooses to emphasize those other things. I wouldn't
try to guess what she thought you wanted to hear, I would just assume
she was telling you what her philosophy is. She probably sees kids who
are made miserable by pushy parents drilling them with flash cards at
home, and I know you're not doing that, Sage is learning because she
wants to and is happy doing it, but that could be where the teacher was
coming from. The two of you were definitely missing each other.

The other teacher later approached us while Sage was
helping her little sister with a puzzle, and she overheard
Sage 'teaching' her sister which shapes were which, including
hexagon and pentagon. This teacher said "Oh, I hope she's
in my class!"
snip She thought they'd definitely be able to challenge
Sage in Kdg..

This teacher is clearly a better fit...

I'm afraid to go request a specific teacher because I know
there are no guarantees, and I don't want to get a reputation
as being unhappy with the teacher before class even starts.

....so definitely talk to whoever makes up the class rosters and request
that Sage go into the 'good' teacher's class. I can't imagine that, if
they weren't able to accomodate your request for some reason, that they
would go tell the 'fun' teacher, "Sage's mom wanted Sage to be in the
other class. She doesn't like you." ;-)

I'm also worried that everyone will feel the same way I
did, and the chances of getting into this class will be slim.

I think the odds of everyone feeling the same way you did are actually
pretty slim. Since Sage is academically so far ahead of all the other
kids, the other parents are going to have a different perspective than
you do. For most of the kids, it won't matter which class they're in
because they probably *do* need to work on learning letters, shapes and
colors. I'm sure there are kids whose greater need is to be taught
socialization and working in groups, and for them, the 'fun' teacher is
a better fit than the 'academic' teacher.

I don't understand how two teachers in the same school
could have such different ideas about academics overall,
when all the kids will be continuing into the same first grades,
etc... and I don't see how the schools do as well as they do
on testing if they don't start *teaching* anything until who
knows when! There is going to be proficiency (sp?) testing
in Kdg. here soon, if not this year, next, I think.

I think it's a good thing they have teachers with such different
approaches, because kids are all so different. What works for one kid
doesn't work for another, so it's better to have another option than
having the other teacher be the same as the first one. It sounds to me
like the school has a pretty balanced approach, and I really think
that's important. Many kids need to learn in Kdg "how to go to school",
and that prepares them for first grade just as well as learning to read
would (if they were even ready to learn reading at all), so once they do
get to first grade they are all closer to being in the same place
socially, and academically, and ready to learn the same things.

And I'm scared that Sage will end up in the class I don't
want her in, regardless of any request I make, and it will
be so boring for her, I'll want to pull her out to homeschool
her -- not a huge problem, but also not the plan. I just
don't see the point in taking her to school every day to
learn letters and shapes and colors when I thought that
was what preschool was for.

Deja vu. ;-) I said almost the exact same thing about Julie and
preschool a few months ago - I didn't see what she'd get out of going to
preschool when she already knew all the letters, shapes and colors. Now
that she's been going for a month, I see that there are *so* many other
experiences she's getting there that she wouldn't get at home.

I think you have nothing to lose by asking for the 'good' teacher, but
at the same time, don't worry so much about if she gets the 'fun'
teacher instead. Even if that happens, she can continue to do all the
workbooks and research she wants at home, and that will keep her
learning things she's interested in, while school can be about 'other
things' and give her even more ways to grow. It would take a massive
shift in expectations but it could be done. You'd need to be careful
not to project the expectation that it will be boring - let her
experience it in her own way. But really, I think the school is - or
should be - as interested as you are in getting as good a fit between
students and teachers as possible, and what I've usually read here is
that schools have welcomed input from parents when parents have had a
preference.

Hang in there. I'm sure it will turn out just fine.

One 'out of the box' thought - since Kdg is optional anyway, is there
any reason not to just send Sage to first grade instead?

BTW - did you ever get the email I sent you about 6-8 weeks ago? You
had asked for my current email address to send me pics of the kids, and
it took a while, but I finally got around to sending it to you, and
haven't heard back.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 8 months

Old May 7th 04, 03:25 PM

On 6 May 2004 22:40:01 -0700, (Tina) wrote:

I'm looking for some ideas on how to proceed with my daughter's Kdg.,
which she's scheduled to start in the fall. We had our open house to
meet the teachers and see the classrooms tonight, and I was
disappointed in one of the teachers, and possibly the program as a
whole. I'm not sure what to do, if anything.

snip

Obviously, I liked the second teacher I described more! The school
doesn't know yet whether they're going to have three or four classes,
but this year, the 'fun' teacher has 2 classes, and the one I like
only has one.

I'm afraid to go request a specific teacher because I know there are
no guarantees, and I don't want to get a reputation as being unhappy
with the teacher before class even starts. I'm also worried that
everyone will feel the same way I did, and the chances of getting into
this class will be slim.

snip

Any opinions and/or advice greatly appreciated.

Tina.

It's too soon for you to be this involved in your daughter's classes.
Her relationship with her teacher(s) is the most important thing and
it's up to her to develop them. What if she doesn't like the teacher
you like and she loves the other one? Do you want her to spend a year
unhappy with *your* choice? I suggest letting the system work and
learning something about the dynamics before getting involved. You've
got 13 years of this ahead of you. Believe me, there are worse
teachers in your daughter's future. :-)

Old May 7th 04, 03:52 PM
Kris

[...]

When we were at that age I was having the same concerns myself. I
ended up visiting some of the private schools and ultimately decided
on one of them. They were all considerably smaller in scale. I felt
being smaller they would be able to focus more on individuals as
opposed to large groups. In my case...so far...this has held true.
They also have assistants, tutors, and even use their high school
students to assist ones that need either more guidance or more
challenges. Throughout the year...I talk to the school and teachers
again...for my own piece of mind. And for the new year I talk to the
teacher, ask about the curriculum being used, etc... If we reach a
point of having concerns...we may need to consider an option of
homeschooling. Learning should be interesting, challenging, and fun.
If it is not...I believe something needs changed. Good luck!

Old May 7th 04, 04:17 PM
Tina

If it were me I would talk to the Principal about it. You just have to be
diplomatic but honest and say that at the open day you felt that Teacher X
has picked up on Sage's personality and that you would feel Sage would be
much more comfortable with her. Just don't go in there expecting that it
will be done for you. Be polite and humble. You never know what asking will
achieve. If you don't feel that you are being listened to about the need for
Sage to be extended then you should look at other options.

Liz

Thank you, I think I will talk to the principal, and the way you
phrased it is very diplomatic. I'm scared, but I'm going to make the
call, hopefully today.

Tina.
Old May 7th 04, 04:24 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Tina wrote:

I'm afraid to go request a specific teacher because I know there are
no guarantees, and I don't want to get a reputation as being unhappy
with the teacher before class even starts. I'm also worried that
everyone will feel the same way I did, and the chances of getting into
this class will be slim.

Then write a letter to the principal and describe
the sort of teacher you think your daughter would do best
with. Most schools will welcome this sort of input. Get
it in soon, because sometime over the summer is when they'll
be assigning kids to classes. Typically, you can craft a
letter that makes it obvious which teacher will fit your
needs without specifying a name. Talk to other parents
who have kids in the school and find out if there are
any other things you need to know.

I don't understand how two teachers in the same school could have such
different ideas about academics overall, when all the kids will be
continuing into the same first grades, etc... and I don't see how the
schools do as well as they do on testing if they don't start
*teaching* anything until who knows when! There is going to be
proficiency (sp?) testing in Kdg. here soon, if not this year, next, I
think.

You may have simply gotten caught up in a miscommunication.
Teachers tend to hear a lot of the same issues from loads of
parents, and can get confused when someone comes at things from
a different angle. She might have been so in the mindset of
soothing parents who were worried kindy might be too much
that she couldn't wrap her brain around your issues. Doesn't
speak well for her ability to think on her feet, but it
doesn't necessarily mean that she won't be able to accommodate
your daughter ;-) You may want to set up a conference early
in the year with whichever teacher or send a tactfully worded
letter as soon as you know which teacher to explain Sage's
situation. Many teachers will send home a questionnaire at
the beginning of the year asking about many of these issues.

And I'm scared that Sage will end up in the class I don't want her in,
regardless of any request I make, and it will be so boring for her,
I'll want to pull her out to homeschool her -- not a huge problem, but
also not the plan. I just don't see the point in taking her to school
every day to learn letters and shapes and colors when I thought that
was what preschool was for.

I wouldn't sweat kindy *too* much. They really do
spend a lot of energy getting to know the routines at
school, such that it often *isn't* a big deal if the
academics aren't challenging. Both my kids in school
are very bright, but boredom issues did not set in until
first grade (where, fortunately, our school had ways
to overcome those challenges). Also, after the first
couple months of school you can start to be a squeaky
wheel, if need be. You can usually get some sort of
accommodation if necessary, especially if you are
willing to volunteer a little in class.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 7th 04, 06:04 PM
Penny Gaines

Tina wrote in :
[snip]
[...]

It sounds to me that this teacher didn't understand where you were coming
from. My reading of this discussion is that the teacher thought you were
worried initially because Sage couldn't do the things in the booklet. Then
when she realised that Sage could do them, she emphasized that there were
other things to learn in Kindergarten (ie that Sage would not be ignored,
because she could do what was required). Then you said that Sage got
frustrated with some worksheets: well my reaction would be "why is this
parent *making* her child do worksheets when the child is reluctant" (and
I have a kid who loves doing worksheets but I have never made her do one,
or finish one she has started). So the teacher reassured you that they
won't make her do worksheets.

On the homework issue: a hot topic in misc.kids. If you were given homework
it would eat into the time your daughter has to research the Civil War or
whatever.

[snip]
The other teacher later approached us while Sage was helping her
little sister with a puzzle, and she overheard Sage 'teaching' her
sister which shapes were which, including hexagon and pentagon.**This

This teacher has seen Sage in action; had the other teacher?

teacher said "Oh, I hope she's in my class!"**and*we*talked*for*awhile
about the things Sage likes to do, and Pre-K, etc...**She*said*she
thought it was great that she has access to workbooks and notebooks
and books to read at home, and that she has a second teacher in the
classroom sometimes to help the kids who are behind, and she's not had
a kid ahead like this recently, but this additional teacher would also
be able to work with Sage or any others who needed more challenging
material.**She*thought*they'd*definitely*be*able*t o*challenge*Sage*in
Kdg..

Doesn't the other teacher have a second teacher? If not, I would want
to know why.

[snip]
I don't understand how two teachers in the same school could have such
different ideas about academics overall, when all the kids will be
continuing into the same first grades, etc... and I don't see how the
schools do as well as they do on testing if they don't start
teaching anything until who knows when! There is going to be
proficiency (sp?) testing in Kdg. here soon, if not this year, next, I
think.

Well, a good school would be teaching lots of stuff through play. So
the kids are probably learning lots of things, even if it is not
through reading and books. If the children were being turned off reading
by too much pressure too early (and lots of just 5yos are not ready
to read), then the school would not be getting good results.

And I'm scared that Sage will end up in the class I don't want her in,
regardless of any request I make, and it will be so boring for her,
I'll want to pull her out to homeschool her -- not a huge problem, but
also not the plan. I just don't see the point in taking her to school
every day to learn letters and shapes and colors when I thought that
was what preschool was for.

Firstly: I think most parents worry about how their child will do at school.
Most children do fine.

Secondly: it doesn't neccesarily matter if the first teacher is a bad fit.
One of my kids had a disasterous first teacher, but now they love school and
are doing really well.

Thirdly, I would find out how easy it is to change teachers part way through
the year. If it is very difficult, I would definately request the teacher
you want (and maybe the teacher is asking for her too). At some schools
they do change the classes round part way through the year anyway.

HTH

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old May 7th 04, 06:25 PM
Sue

Wonderful post Cheryl and I agree.

I just wanted to add that in a typical kdg class, it is only 3 hours long
unless you have the full day kdg. Typically children don't get too bored in
that short amount of time. A lot of what kdg is for children is learning to
transition to different activities.

If she is showing signs of the teacher and her not fitting, then that would
be the time to go in and make some requests to which teacher for next year
or even perhaps more challenging work for the child. You can always
supplement at home the second half of the day. What I always found to be
helpful in staying aware of what is going on, I volunteered in the classroom
a lot in the beginning to get a feel for the teacher and what is going on in
the classroom. That will be your guide. So, if it were me, I would hold off
and see if you end up having any problems. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old May 7th 04, 08:24 PM
H Schinske

Ericka ) wrote:

I wouldn't sweat kindy *too* much. They really do
spend a lot of energy getting to know the routines at
school, such that it often *isn't* a big deal if the
academics aren't challenging.

It really depends on the child. A highly gifted kid who really strongly wants
to go to school to learn things right away, now, is going to be frustrated in
kindergarten. I know a kid like this who was practically suicidal by the end of
kindergarten. The kind of kid who may be very bright and know a lot of the
curriculum already, but who thinks of school more as something to do, is not
going to be as fussed about it. My son is more like this. He complains every so
often that they don't have any math, or whatever (they do, of course, he just
doesn't recognize it as math), but on the whole he enjoys himself. I don't
think he's as far out on the curve as Sage sounds, though.

Kindergarten is actually a year when they can do a lot more open-ended stuff
and play a good deal, so many academically advanced kids don't mind it nearly
so much (I recall it as being the only year of elementary school that I
thoroughly enjoyed). It can actually be WORSE if it's more like first grade,
with everyone learning the a-b abs at the same time, and the kid who can
already read not having anything to do.

--Helen