Non violent positive parenting

Old October 21st 05, 04:46 AM

Default Non violent positive parenting

http://www.nospank.net/chicago2.htm

POSITIVE PARENTING RESOLUTION
Submitted by Michelle DiGiacomo;

Presented to Chicago City Council by Alderman Isaac Carothers, 29th
Ward
September 14, 2005

POSITIVE PARENTING RESOLUTION

WHEREAS, all children need love, guidance and deserve to grow up in an
environment free from violence and physical harm. Positive,
non-violent, peaceful forms of discipline teach children to think
beyond the immediate and give them a blueprint for future reference;
and

WHEREAS, children are influenced by the model for behavior set by
adults in their environment. When adults resort to violence, children
are likely to learn this behavior is acceptable and imitate it with
their peers; and

WHEREAS, positive, non-violent parenting promotes positive, peaceful
relationships and respect for others and their rights to safety; and

WHEREAS, childhood is a unique and critical stage of life. All children
share the same basic needs for safety, health, love and dignity.
Peaceful, communicative parenting supports a child's development; and

WHEREAS, current research shows that exposure to violence negatively
impacts upon normal brain development and learning for all children;
and

WHEREAS, violent behavior learned in the home and school environment is
reflected in the behaviors of people throughout our communities, cities
and societies at large. As a result of this violence, children and
families are hurting, education systems and learning has been hindered,
and prisons are overflowing with youth; now therefore,

BE IT RESOLVED, that the City Council of the City of Chicago will
support a proclamation that encourages non-violent discipline in the
effort to reduce violence towards all but especially within the family
and as directed towards children; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the City Council of Chicago, on behalf of
the children of Chicago, help establish ties between our schools and
community through the promotion of mental health and family counseling
programs to support families experiencing stress; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the City of Chicago Child Abuse Prevention
Joint Task Force is urged to continue its advocacy on behalf of
children experiencing violence in the home; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that City Departments and Agencies are
encouraged to implement and distribute positive, non-violent parenting
literature within the community via schools, churches, hospitals and
community organizations which will help to make parents aware of
education that supports behavior management strategies as alternatives
to corporal punishment; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that this resolution shall serve as notice that
City Council of the City of Chicago has been and shall remain vigilant
in guarding the best interests of the children of Chicago in all
matters to the extent legally and feasibly possible.

PLEASE COMMUNICATE YOUR SUPPORT for the above resolution to Michelle
DiGiacomo.

Please provide your name, title and affiliation if any, and city of
residence. Please act promptly.

The resolution is on the agenda for discussion at a meeting in Council
Chambers, Chicago City Hall, 121 N. LaSalle St., Chicago, on October
28, 2005, at 10:00 am.

Thank you for your support.