Old Baby Stuff

Old February 24th 05, 11:35 PM
eggs

Default Old Baby Stuff

What does everyone do with their old baby stuff? How long do you hang
on to it?

My baby stuff has been through DS, then DD who was born 18 months later.
Then I gave it to a nephew and a friend's daughter who were both born
about a year after DD. Now these babies are toddlers and all the baby
things are coming back to me. There are so many of them! I thought I
was rid of this stuff, but here it all is again! On the one hand, this
stuff has seen plenty of use, so I feel OK about getting rid of it. On
the other hand, I will be looking to try for another baby next year and
will (hopefully) be needing baby stuff again then.

For those of you who have had a large gap between babies (say 3 years or
more), did you hang on to your baby stuff, or get rid of it and get new
stuff for the next baby?

eggs.
Old February 24th 05, 11:44 PM
Nan

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:35:46 +1100, eggs
scribbled:

For those of you who have had a large gap between babies (say 3 years or
more), did you hang on to your baby stuff, or get rid of it and get new
stuff for the next baby?

I got rid of everything after ds. I was single and couldn't imagine
needing it again.
16 years later.... I needed to buy new ;-)
There are 4 years between dd1 and dd2. We weren't sure we'd have
another, but I saved everything.
If dd2 hadn't come along I'd be giving it all away on freecycle.

Nan
Old February 24th 05, 11:55 PM
Melania

eggs wrote:
[...]

Our place became something of a clearing house for second hand baby
stuff, which is funny considering that dh and I were the first of our
generation in both families (and extended families) to have a baby. But
some of our aunts and uncles were really late starters, and a few of
them had been hanging onto baby/kid clothes in boxes in the basement
for 5-10 years. One of my aunts gave me a highchair, and her youngest
is 14yo. Friends and even one of the moms from my mother's school gave
us loads of other stuff.

So, even my first has since day 1 been dressed almost exclusively in
second-hand clothes, and I wouldn't have it any other way! I just don't
see the need for new clothing, as long as it's clean and in good shape,
especially for babies/kids.

I weeded through everything and gave anything I didn't want to
self-help (except the hand-knitted hand-me-downs, which stay in the
family). There were some things that were in such bad shape I threw
them out. I'll hang onto my better stuff for a while, to hand on to my
siblings when they have kids, but I'll give anything really well-worn
and still useful (and not sentimentally valuable) to self-help.

My friend's daughter has some little shoes and a couple of dresses that
actually belonged to my friend and her sister when they were little! If
they're in good shape, and they mean something, they're worth keeping
around (they appreciate with age!).

Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005)

Old February 25th 05, 12:04 AM
Tori M.

I want to hang on to my stuff since I want more. I have a friend that gave
away all her baby stuff and now is having #5. I am gonna let her use
whatever she wants that I have since I know if I have more she will give all
of it back.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/02
Xavier 10/04

Old February 25th 05, 12:24 AM
Ericka Kammerer

eggs wrote:

For those of you who have had a large gap between babies (say 3 years or
more), did you hang on to your baby stuff, or get rid of it and get new
stuff for the next baby?

I had almost six years between #2 and #3. I'm a packrat.
I had most of the baby stuff saved, having loaned some out in
the interim. Some of it I used again, and others I didn't
(wrong gender clothes, things that didn't fit our lifestyle
anymore, etc.). I'm spoiled--I bought new for things when I
didn't much like the old stuff, it was fun to shop for, and
not prohibitively expensive. Now the dilemma is bigger. It's
very unlikely that we'll have another so I don't want to
cart around a lot of unnecessary stuff, but I'm sentimentally
attached to some of it. I've been terribly bad on the
clothes front this time around, and G. has way too many
pretty things. I've been passing on some stuff to neighbors,
but I guess I'm too sentimentally attached to the nicest
things.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old February 25th 05, 01:03 AM
Sue

I kept all my stuff until I was done having babies and then I sold most of
the stuff in a garage sale. I still have the crib and the bassinet, but I am
now ready to get rid of this spring when we have another garage sale.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 25th 05, 01:11 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Sue" wrote:

I kept all my stuff until I was done having babies and then I sold most of
the stuff in a garage sale. I still have the crib and the bassinet, but I am
now ready to get rid of this spring when we have another garage sale.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

I honestly don't remember how old my kids were when I got rid of all the
baby stuff, but I gave much of it to Goodwill (except the stuff people
had made; I figure the kids may want that later.)

I know my Mom waited until her youngest was 11, then got rid of it all.
She got pregnant about a month and a half later . . .

Old February 25th 05, 01:58 AM
Rosalie B.

dragonlady wrote:

In article ,
"Sue" wrote:

I kept all my stuff until I was done having babies and then I sold most of
the stuff in a garage sale. I still have the crib and the bassinet, but I am
now ready to get rid of this spring when we have another garage sale.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

I honestly don't remember how old my kids were when I got rid of all the
baby stuff, but I gave much of it to Goodwill (except the stuff people
had made; I figure the kids may want that later.)

I know my Mom waited until her youngest was 11, then got rid of it all.
She got pregnant about a month and a half later . . .

My mom kept a bunch of stuff which I used for my kids. She smocked
some dresses which one of my granddaughters is now wearing - 3rd
generation. She also had a crib and a carriage that she used for us,
and I used the carriage for the baby's naps - not much use for a
carriage where I was living with no sidewalks.

I got most of my baby furniture second hand, and it would be outdated
now, and I don't think I have much of it anymore except an old high
chair. My mom still has a youth bed I think.

As for clothes - I kept most of the baby clothes, and passed them down
to the first three who were girls. The special things - like
something my great aunt bought in Israel on a visit, and a coat dh
bought in Scotland when he was on a North Atlantic cruise, I kept.
Generally if someone has made it (me, mom, or my children made things
for themselves), I've kept it.

I tried to keep the good (but not special- just mass produced things)
clothes that my oldest two had as children, but by the time the third
one was born it was 5 years later and styles had changed.

My children pass things along among themselves. For instance dd#2 has
a large son (wearing some adult clothes at age 10) and she will hand
the stuff down to ds's son who is a year older but much smaller.
They've also handed around baby stuff like jumper chairs and extra car
seats (which we had for my mom and me when someone came to visit via
plane and didn't want to bring a seat with them). I also used to keep
a playpen for baby grandchildren to nap in.

grandma Rosalie
Old February 25th 05, 03:35 AM
eggs

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

eggs wrote:

[...]

My MIL still has all of DH's stuff in the basement and DH is 35! She's
not only kept all of his clothes and toys, but his homework and
textbooks and everything - all the way from birth through college! She
could open up a DH museum in about a week flat, covering every moment of
his life. This is what I don't want to become!

eggs.
Old February 25th 05, 10:46 AM
Sue

"dragonlady" wrote in message
I know my Mom waited until her youngest was 11, then got rid of it all.
She got pregnant about a month and a half later . . .

LOL, that's what happened to my SIL. She didn't want anymore kids after her
son was born and got rid of everything. She was on the pill and gave birth a
year ago to their daughter. )

I thought about hanging onto the crib and bassinet for sentimental reasons,
but realistically by the time my girls have kids, the stuff will be
severely outdated. I did keep some of the special clothes that they wore.
The other equipment, I gave to my friend who was going to be babysitting two
babies. I'm glad that most of my stuff got used by people who needed it.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)