Allergies

Old April 14th 09, 09:14 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Default Allergies

My dad was violently (as in debilitating migraines) allergic to
mustard and bananas. I have some allergies to pollen, dust etc.

My niece has just posted that her son has just been taken to the ER
again and this time for a reaction to mango. I don't know what else
he has allergies to, except peanuts. My sister has to know how to use
an epi-pen if she babysits, and my niece's family severely restricts
trips that they will go on because of her son's allergies.

My dd#3 has just informed me that her daughter has tested positive for
gluten sensitivity. Also she has 2 genes meaning that dd#3 has at
least one gene and our SIL has one. She suggested that we might want
to consider looking into some of this stuff and possibly consider
getting tested.

I don't know what benefit testing would have for us. How worried
should I be about it? DH is lactose intolerant and one of my
granddaughters has a small amount of that too but I don't know of any
other problems.
Old April 14th 09, 10:43 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Rosalie B. wrote:
My dad was violently (as in debilitating migraines) allergic to
mustard and bananas. I have some allergies to pollen, dust etc.

My niece has just posted that her son has just been taken to the ER
again and this time for a reaction to mango. I don't know what else
he has allergies to, except peanuts. My sister has to know how to use
an epi-pen if she babysits, and my niece's family severely restricts
trips that they will go on because of her son's allergies.

My dd#3 has just informed me that her daughter has tested positive for
gluten sensitivity. Also she has 2 genes meaning that dd#3 has at
least one gene and our SIL has one. She suggested that we might want
to consider looking into some of this stuff and possibly consider
getting tested.

If she has two copies of a particular allele (an allele is a particular
version of a gene), then you must have one. You say you're allergic to
pollen, dust, etc.

In addition, you say that your granddaughter has "tested positive for
gluten sensitivity."

I get the real fealing that these are some tests that don't give a lot
of useful answers. In fact, I am wondering if the testing is a waste of
money that only misleads people or gives them false expectations of what
will happen clinically later.

I really doubt that the tests offer much clinically useful information.

I don't know what benefit testing would have for us. How worried
should I be about it?

I don't think I would worry a bit. Avoid dusty situations, pollen, etc.
But really, I don't think that genetic testing has been shown to be
useful clinically for this. (It is useful, for example, learning that a
child has the alleles for cystic fibrosis, so that the child can be
treated early, before lung damage or malnutrition set in.) However, in
the case of a grandmother, I don't see what knowing your genotype (which
alleles or versions of a gene you have) will add to your knowledge of
your health.

Allergies rarely come along suddenly. You have had a lot of years to
come up with new allergies. I doubt you have anything to worry about.

DH is lactose intolerant and one of my
granddaughters has a small amount of that too but I don't know of any
other problems.

Lactose is the sugar in milk. Most people are not able to digest lactose
during adulthood. The ancestors of different people in the world,
including some in the Middle East and Europe, evolved in such a way
that they continue to make the enzyme, lactase, that breaks down
lactose. So the people who are able to digest lactose are mutants
(mutants just means they have a mutation - we're all mutants or we would
all be the same).

Lactose intolerance is a condition (notice I don't say disease) that had
absolutely nothing to do with allergies or the immune system. All it has
to do with is whether a particular gene is expressed resulting in the
lactase being released into the small intestine. It has no bearing
whatsoever on allergies, to be the best of my knowledge.

As far as your health is concern, I wouldn't worry about. Allergy
testing or genetic testing won't help you a bit.

As far as your granddaughter, what does her doctors say? I know she
didn't come home from daycare and say, "Hey mom. I wonder if I have the
alleles (or genes) for allergies. Can we please go to the doctor, so the
nurse can draw blood so I can find out?" The bottom line is that without
knowing the whole clinical situation, it is really hard to say how
useful individual or groups of tests are.

Jeff
Old April 14th 09, 10:49 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Rosalie B. wrote in
:

My dad was violently (as in debilitating migraines) allergic to
mustard and bananas. I have some allergies to pollen, dust etc.

My niece has just posted that her son has just been taken to the
ER again and this time for a reaction to mango. I don't know
what else he has allergies to, except peanuts. My sister has to
know how to use an epi-pen if she babysits, and my niece's
family severely restricts trips that they will go on because of
her son's allergies.

people with mango allergies are frequently also sensitive to
cashews, as they're related (mangoes & cashews).

My dd#3 has just informed me that her daughter has tested
positive for gluten sensitivity. Also she has 2 genes meaning
that dd#3 has at least one gene and our SIL has one. She
suggested that we might want to consider looking into some of
this stuff and possibly consider getting tested.

to see if you have glutin sensitivities perhaps? obviously one or
both of you carries the gene for it anyway.

I don't know what benefit testing would have for us. How
worried should I be about it? DH is lactose intolerant and one
of my granddaughters has a small amount of that too but I don't
know of any other problems.

do either of you have any problems eating breads? if not, i
wouldn't worry too much about it. if you do, there are lots of
great glutin free options now, so getting a test & getting glutin
out of your diet might make you feel a lot better.
lee

Old April 14th 09, 11:16 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

enigma wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote in
:

[...]

This is a misunderstanding. There isn't one gene for it. There are
different genes that contribute to whether or not we become glutin
sensitive. If we become glutin sensitive, this sensitivity may be
expressed differently in different people. Two particular alleles of one
gene have been most closely associated with celiac disease, but other
genes contribute as well.

When I was in medical school, I had one patient who didn't even know she
had a genetic disease (cystic fibrosis) until she was in her mid-40s. In
residency, I had kids who were diagnosed at a few weeks of age. So
having the alleles (versions of a gene) for something doesn't
necessarily mean much.

It is a function of both genetics and environment.

So even if you have a version of a gene that is associated with glutin
sensitivity, it doesn't mean that you will get it or will have a
particular set of symptoms.

Here is an article on the genetics of celiac disease:
http://www.celiac.com/articles/1046/1/Understanding-the-Genetics-of-Gluten-Sensitivity-by-Dr-Scot-Lewey/Page1.html

Most people who have the alleles (version of a gene) for Celiac disease
don't have the disease.

Jeff

Old April 15th 09, 01:38 AM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Jeff wrote:

enigma wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote in
:

My dad was violently (as in debilitating migraines) allergic to
mustard and bananas. I have some allergies to pollen, dust etc.

My niece has just posted that her son has just been taken to the
ER again and this time for a reaction to mango. I don't know
what else he has allergies to, except peanuts. My sister has to
know how to use an epi-pen if she babysits, and my niece's
family severely restricts trips that they will go on because of
her son's allergies.

people with mango allergies are frequently also sensitive to
cashews, as they're related (mangoes & cashews).

I personally don't care for mangos, but apparently this kid loved
them. I wonder if some of this is something that he will eventually
grow out of, or would have grown out of if there hadn't been so much
exposure to it. I know I am much less allergic now than I was as a
kid. (Although I still have to wear a respirator to get the winter
clothes out of the closet or I sneeze my head off)

[...]

The place that did the testing had a website and it seemed that what
they were worried about was intestinal damage related to gluten. That
sounded scary.

I don't know what benefit testing would have for us. How
worried should I be about it? DH is lactose intolerant and one
of my granddaughters has a small amount of that too but I don't
know of any other problems.

do either of you have any problems eating breads? if not, i
wouldn't worry too much about it. if you do, there are lots of
great glutin free options now, so getting a test & getting glutin
out of your diet might make you feel a lot better.
lee

I love bread and eat a lot of it. I've never believed in a low carb
diet.
Old April 15th 09, 12:44 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Rosalie B. wrote in
:

I personally don't care for mangos, but apparently this kid
loved them. I wonder if some of this is something that he will
eventually grow out of, or would have grown out of if there
hadn't been so much exposure to it. I know I am much less
allergic now than I was as a kid. (Although I still have to
wear a respirator to get the winter clothes out of the closet or
I sneeze my head off)

depends on a lot of factors, really. some children outgrow food
allergies if they can avoid the allergen for some time (years).
some never do. it also depends on if it's actually an allergy to
the mango, for example, or an allergy/sensitivity to a pesticide,
herbicide, shipping preservative, wax or whatever that is commonly
found on/in mangoes.
allergies are odd, because some people build up a tolerance to
some allergins as they age, & other allergins get worse, or appear,
with more exposure. for instance, i've successfully managed to
avoid contacting poison ivy for almost 30 years. i used to be
really violently allergic, but i barely reacted when i got some the
summer before last. OTOH, i have never had a problem with bee or
wasp stings until last summer.
it's nearly impossible to avoid dust, so there's little chance a
dust allergy will improve...
lee
Old April 15th 09, 01:09 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

enigma wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote in
:

I personally don't care for mangos, but apparently this kid
loved them. I wonder if some of this is something that he will
eventually grow out of, or would have grown out of if there
hadn't been so much exposure to it. I know I am much less
allergic now than I was as a kid. (Although I still have to
wear a respirator to get the winter clothes out of the closet or
I sneeze my head off)

depends on a lot of factors, really. some children outgrow food
allergies if they can avoid the allergen for some time (years).
some never do. it also depends on if it's actually an allergy to
the mango, for example, or an allergy/sensitivity to a pesticide,
herbicide, shipping preservative, wax or whatever that is commonly
found on/in mangoes.

I wonder if sometimes people don't like certain things because they
have an allergy to them. That would explain me, but not my nephew.

allergies are odd, because some people build up a tolerance to
some allergins as they age, & other allergins get worse, or appear,
with more exposure. for instance, i've successfully managed to
avoid contacting poison ivy for almost 30 years. i used to be
really violently allergic, but i barely reacted when i got some the
summer before last. OTOH, i have never had a problem with bee or
wasp stings until last summer.
it's nearly impossible to avoid dust, so there's little chance a
dust allergy will improve...
lee

LOL - yes, dust and mold are pretty much ubiquitous on the East Coast.
I have always been allergic to poison ivy, and I also used to get a
rash when I was just mowing the lawn next to where it grew. It
doesn't seem to be as bad now but I still avoid it.

When my parents found out about my allergies (I was in first grade and
my mom noticed that I was always sick with a cold which no one else in
the family ever got), they gave away our cat. My dad gave me
desensitization shots for years. I got a dog when I was 12 (almost
13) and supposed to be past the worst of the childhood allergies but I
took dog training classes through the Girl Scouts to learn to handle a
dog. Even though I had a Shetland Sheepdog which is not as big or
vigorous as a Porty. DH thinks the First Family will have a problem
because Michelle obviously does not know how to handle a dog and those
kinds of dogs need a firm hand.
Old April 15th 09, 01:59 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Rosalie B. wrote:
lots of stuff I wrote about testing deleted

The place that did the testing had a website and it seemed that what
they were worried about was intestinal damage related to gluten. That
sounded scary.

Of course they did. That's how they get costumers.

Sadly, a lot of stuff in the health-care and drug industry is about
making money, not helping people.

They make it sound scary so that they get people to do the testing, but,
they don't really know what the results of their tests mean.

I love bread and eat a lot of it. I've never believed in a low carb
diet.

I believe in a low-carb diet. And a high carb diet. More importantly, I
believe in a low- or neutral-calorie diet with lots of excercise.

Jeff
Old April 15th 09, 02:09 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

enigma wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote in
:

I personally don't care for mangos, but apparently this kid
loved them. I wonder if some of this is something that he will
eventually grow out of, or would have grown out of if there
hadn't been so much exposure to it. I know I am much less
allergic now than I was as a kid. (Although I still have to
wear a respirator to get the winter clothes out of the closet or
I sneeze my head off)

depends on a lot of factors, really. some children outgrow food
allergies if they can avoid the allergen for some time (years).
some never do. it also depends on if it's actually an allergy to
the mango, for example, or an allergy/sensitivity to a pesticide,
herbicide, shipping preservative, wax or whatever that is commonly
found on/in mangoes.

It also depends on whether it is a sensitivity or an allergy, which are
different things. An allergy is a reaction that is mediated (caused) by
a particularly type of antibody, IgE.

Sensitivity means that someone is sensative to something. It doesn't
have to be an allergy (although allergy is a type of sensitivity).

Actually, in studies, they seem to find that kids who are exposed to
potential allergens are actually less likely to become allergic to
something than kids who aren't exposed to the allergen.

begin rant

Unfortunately, the science and medical education in high school and
college for non-medical people (and probably nurses, too) can be
improved. The terminology is specific. But, by understanding the
terminology and the actual diseases, one is able to make better choices.
This is also important for avoiding useless treatments (quacks) and tests.

end rant

allergies are odd, because some people build up a tolerance to
some allergins as they age, & other allergins get worse, or appear,
with more exposure. for instance, i've successfully managed to
avoid contacting poison ivy for almost 30 years. i used to be
really violently allergic, but i barely reacted when i got some the
summer before last. OTOH, i have never had a problem with bee or
wasp stings until last summer.

In addition, there is treatment with allergen exposure by allergists.

The immune system is quite complicated and involved in many different
illnesses, like diabetes type I and type II, MS, allergies, lupus and
hundreds more.

it's nearly impossible to avoid dust, so there's little chance a
dust allergy will improve...
lee

When I start to sneeze and get a runny nose, I am not sure if it is a
cold or an allergy. I just take pseudophedrine (the stuff you have to
buy from a pharmacist because it can be made into amphetamines) and an
antihistimine. It either gets better on its own or the meds help. I am
not sure.

Either way, I feel better. If I don't, I take more until I feel better.
It could be that meds help. Or I get better without them. Whatever.

Jeff
Old April 15th 09, 05:31 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Jeff wrote:

enigma wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote in
:

[...]

I think there is too much advertising of drugs on TV. I'm sure that
drives up the price of the drugs and the side effects seem to me to be
worse than the disease.

I also think there's too much clean-nik stuff. Too many air
fresheners, too many people agonizing over how white your wash is etc.

[...]

DH does as you do - he takes a decongestant or anti-histamine when he
gets symptoms. I do the opposite. I hate taking medicine and don't
want the bounce back from it. Plus, I'm so used to (from childhood)
being stuffed up or sneezing that normally it doesn't really bother me
and I don't take anything (which drives dh crazy because he does not
like it if I have symptoms that he can't fix even if they don't really
bother me). I will suck a cough drop if I have a sore throat or
cough, but other than that if it is just sneezing or a runny nose I
just let the symptoms go on until they stop.

Allergies [email protected] General 1 February 13th 08 06:01 AM
allergies [email protected] General 1 February 13th 08 06:00 AM
Allergies [email protected] General 0 February 11th 08 07:50 PM
allergies Irrational Number General 0 June 11th 07 08:04 AM
New with question about allergies bshadder General 4 April 28th 04 09:09 PM