Vending Machines in schools

Old July 11th 03, 06:57 AM
P. Tierney

Default Vending Machines in schools

"toto" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:59:30 GMT, "P. Tierney"
wrote:

A biology teacher went against the grain and allowed students
to eat in the class, but only if it was fruit, or some other healthy
snack. He had to approve of it to the class, and it ended up being a
good learning experience for the students, consistent with his
curriculum. It's a good example to follow.

And again, I see a need to allow students some freedom to eat and
drink in class given the knowledge that teenage bodies need more
food than average to sustain their brains and bodies. Water, btw,
is particularly important to this, imo, as hydration allows brains to
make connections more efficiently.

Bathroom breaks are also another area where schools *control* the
students or attempt to. I think that we believe that kids will take
advantage of this and constantly interrupt class, but if we trusted
kids more, I think that they would act up to our expectations.

I agree on both counts.

P.
Tierney

Old July 11th 03, 12:40 PM
Banty

In article , "P. says...

"Rosalie B." wrote:

I think we are far too *risk-averse* as a society in general.
People who cannot take risks, cannot learn anything.

But the risks they take should be ones that they can recover from.
Car accidents are often not risks of that type.

So they shouldn't be allowed because they might get in a car
accident? If so, then maybe they shouldn't even come to school!
I'd place time restraints, lack of accessible places (for many schools),
truancy problems (for my last school) as concerns over fear of car
accidents.

The problem is also the impact of loitering on local businesses. The pizza
joint might like the HS students hanging round, but he drugstore next door
doesn't like their patrons going elsewhere rather than to find their way among
weirdly (to the patrons) dressed, smoking youths.

Banty

Old July 11th 03, 10:15 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Donna Metler" wrote:

"Joni Rathbun" wrote in message

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, dragonlady wrote:

In article ,
toto wrote:

On 11 Jul 2003 03:34:09 GMT, (H Schinske) wrote:

wrote:

Perhaps it could be a privilege earned for seniors and maybe

juniors.
I'd hate to have to deal with supervising exits under those

conditions
but it seems a possible compromise.

My high school did that -- seniors could go off campus, lower grades

could
not.
Oh, and relating to another thread (I think it was another thread),

my
sisters'
school allowed seniors to drink coffee :-)

--Helen

My own high school also had various privileges for honor students even
when they were freshman on the theory that kids who were doing well
were probably mature enough to handle those privileges.

The one I remember most was that the honor society kids had a special
room they could go to to study during study hall, where smoking was
permitted.

Now, the main reason I think my daughters try to get off campus is to
have a cigarette during the day. Of course, if they get caught they get
suspended.

So what used to be an adult privilege reserved for the smartest kids is
now an illegal activity, punishable by suspension.

For most high school students, purchasing cigarettes is an illegal activity,
punished by more than suspension.

Yes, both of my daughters have been arrested for being in possession of
cigarettes. All it means is they lose a Saturday to a "smoking
education" program.

Frankly, I think the law is worthless; I don't see it making any
difference, and, in general, am opposed to criminalizing this sort of
thing; as far as I've been able to tell, there is no evidence that it
actually changes behavior.

meh

Old July 11th 03, 10:49 PM
Donna Metler

"dragonlady" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

But, as long as the law is written in that way, schools aren't going to be
too receptive to students smoking on campus, or leaving campus for the
express purpose of doing so.

meh

Old July 12th 03, 12:14 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
Nan wrote:

On 11 Jul 2003 04:40:59 -0700, Banty wrote:

In article , "P. says...

"Rosalie B." wrote:

I think we are far too *risk-averse* as a society in general.
People who cannot take risks, cannot learn anything.

But the risks they take should be ones that they can recover from.
Car accidents are often not risks of that type.

So they shouldn't be allowed because they might get in a car
accident? If so, then maybe they shouldn't even come to school!
I'd place time restraints, lack of accessible places (for many schools),
truancy problems (for my last school) as concerns over fear of car
accidents.

The problem is also the impact of loitering on local businesses. The pizza
joint might like the HS students hanging round, but he drugstore next door
doesn't like their patrons going elsewhere rather than to find their way
among
weirdly (to the patrons) dressed, smoking youths.

Banty

A lot of local stores have a "2 students in the store at a time" rule,
so that isn't very conducive to the kids being able to purchase what
they want in a timely manner if they're running against the clock.

Nan

It isn't the kids in the store so much, as the ones hanging outside.

I've stopped at the local 7-11 several times either just before school
starts or just after it gets out. There's a middle school down the
street, and the store does a brisk business with those kids. There are
only a few kids in at a time, but it can be a pain to try to get IN to
the store, what with the crowd of kids waiting by the door to get in and
the bicycles and skateboards that have been abandoned in front of the
door. It doesn't stop me, but I'm not particularly weirded out by kids,
but I know there are others who don't want to walk through a gaggle of
teens or preteens. (I've also been known to remind kids that they
shouldn't leave their transportation mode where I might trip over it;
mostly, the kids apologize and move it; I like to think they think
twice before doing it again.)

meh

meh

Old July 13th 03, 08:24 PM
CBI

"dragonlady" wrote in message

Yes, both of my daughters have been arrested for being in possession of
cigarettes. All it means is they lose a Saturday to a "smoking
education" program.

Frankly, I think the law is worthless; I don't see it making any
difference, and, in general, am opposed to criminalizing this sort of
thing; as far as I've been able to tell, there is no evidence that it
actually changes behavior.

Making it illegal to smoke probably does little to change the behavior of
the teens who want to do it. However, making it illegal to sell to minors
does change the behavior of the guy at 7-11 if the penalty is severe enough.
There is a reason tobacco companies target kids.

--
CBI