online gift cards

Old November 26th 07, 04:15 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Default online gift cards

My gran has asked if there is anywhere online she can deposit money, so
that we can then choose some gifts for the kids. I'm guessing that the
only mechanism for doing something like this would be to purchase a gift
card to an online store, which is something we're unfamiliar with, can
you do this totally electronically? Any ideas of stores that might do them?

--
Cheers

Anne
http://baltimorealbum.blogspot.com/
Old November 26th 07, 05:44 AM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

On Nov 25, 10:15 pm, Anne Rogers wrote:
My gran has asked if there is anywhere online she can deposit money, so
that we can then choose some gifts for the kids. I'm guessing that the
only mechanism for doing something like this would be to purchase a gift
card to an online store, which is something we're unfamiliar with, can
you do this totally electronically? Any ideas of stores that might do them?

Amazon (search "Amazon gift card") and other online retailers have
gift cards. The recipient simply provides the card id# at checkout.
Old November 26th 07, 12:41 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Anne Rogers wrote in
news
My gran has asked if there is anywhere online she can
deposit money, so that we can then choose some gifts for
the kids. I'm guessing that the only mechanism for doing
something like this would be to purchase a gift card to an
online store, which is something we're unfamiliar with, can
you do this totally electronically? Any ideas of stores
that might do them?

if you and gran both had Paypal accounts, she could deposit
money from hers into yours, like an online bank transfer.
unfortunately Paypal takes a chunk out for service charges,
but it does work.
lee
Old November 26th 07, 02:54 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:
My gran has asked if there is anywhere online she can deposit money, so
that we can then choose some gifts for the kids. I'm guessing that the
only mechanism for doing something like this would be to purchase a gift
card to an online store, which is something we're unfamiliar with, can
you do this totally electronically? Any ideas of stores that might do them?

You can do these things totally electronically for
online stores, including at amazon.com. For many other stores,
she could purchase a gift card online that could be mailed to
you (usually with no shipping charges) that you could redeem
online. The only difference with the latter is that you'd have
to wait for the gift card to physically arrive before redeeming
it online, but you wouldn't ever have to go into the store.
There are also some gift certificates that are good
at multiple stores. Check out http://giftcertificates.com as
an example. They have electronic gift card that are good at
a broad range of stores (online or not). There are probably
other versions of this as well.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old November 26th 07, 03:39 PM posted to misc.kids
Tai[_2_]

Anne Rogers wrote:
My gran has asked if there is anywhere online she can deposit money,
so that we can then choose some gifts for the kids. I'm guessing that
the only mechanism for doing something like this would be to purchase
a gift card to an online store, which is something we're unfamiliar
with, can you do this totally electronically? Any ideas of stores that
might do
them?

I don't know about stores but why can't your gran just get her bank to
transmit the money into your bank account? Where I live I can do that via
internet banking myself or arrange it over the counter at a nearby bank
branch. Our parents live in another country and they just send money for
their grandchildren directly into an account here by going into their bank
and organising a foreign currency transfer which usually arrives promptly
the next day. All you'd have to do is give your gran your bank, branch and
account numbers, wouldn't you?

Another option would be for her to pay the money directly into your credit
card account.

Old November 26th 07, 03:59 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Tai says...

Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

Yeah - great idea. Then gran can wire *her* the money for *her* present!

Sweet simple, and senseless.

Love it.

Banty

Old November 26th 07, 04:19 PM posted to misc.kids
Tai[_2_]

Banty wrote:
In article , Tai says...

Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

Yes, that happens, too, especially when the grandkids get to the teen years!
Different families have different traditions in this. In mine we post cards,
photos, homemade dvds, young children's artwork and crafts and other
light-weight gifts and receive a mix of small light gifts and cash (in some
form or other), depending on the age of the recipient.

Anne said her gran wants to send money for Anne and her husband to buy the
children what they know their children will like. Perhaps Gran is frail and
can't easily shop for gifts anymore.

Sweet simple, and senseless.

Why?

It's fairly common for grandparents to send money for gifts when postage
costs would eat significantly into the monetary value of the gift. If
grandma is going to buy the latest Harry Potter book for John, aged 11, then
it makes sense to send the money for John's parents to buy the gift on the
spot.

Love it.

I sense you aren't being quite sincere, Banty! What's the matter, haven't
you got anyone to argue with at the moment?!

Old November 26th 07, 05:18 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Tai says...

Banty wrote:
In article , Tai says...

Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

And this make sense to you?

Different families have different traditions in this. In mine we post cards,
photos, homemade dvds, young children's artwork and crafts and other
light-weight gifts and receive a mix of small light gifts and cash (in some
form or other), depending on the age of the recipient.

Photos and such sound wonderful!

Anne said her gran wants to send money for Anne and her husband to buy the
children what they know their children will like. Perhaps Gran is frail and
can't easily shop for gifts anymore.

Gran can call, or send photos, or use the internet, and not task somebody else
with her gift shopping.

Sweet simple, and senseless.

Why?

Because it yet another step away (after even gift cards) from the giving of
gifts as a token of affection, and becomes a bare money exchange. Done in both
directions, it's just a bunch of effort just to cancel each other out!

It's fairly common for grandparents to send money for gifts when postage
costs would eat significantly into the monetary value of the gift. If
grandma is going to buy the latest Harry Potter book for John, aged 11, then
it makes sense to send the money for John's parents to buy the gift on the
spot.

"On the spot?" John's parents live at the mall or in a bookstore?

I do know it's fairly common - it's just that it's nutty. Especially when
people are wiring *each other* $$$. How about getting back to gifts as tokens,
within one's means and abilities, and *away from* this gotta-spend money thing.

Love it.

I sense you aren't being quite sincere, Banty! What's the matter, haven't
you got anyone to argue with at the moment?!

You don't care much for irony, OK.

Banty

Old November 26th 07, 05:48 PM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines[_2_]

Tai wrote:
Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

If you still have a UK credit card which you can use where you are,
this is probably the best option. Gran sends a cheque to your
credit card issuer (or uses telephone or internet banking) and you
buy something in dollars on that credit card.

(Or even she pays some money into a UK credit card, you use that credit
card to buy a present from a UK shop for someone else, and buy a present
from Gran on a US credit card.)

Another option - although not as secure - is for Gran to get some
US dollars from eg a travel agent, and just put them through the
post. I have occasionally done this and never had any problems.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old November 26th 07, 05:57 PM posted to misc.kids
Tai[_2_]

Banty wrote:
In article , Tai says...

Banty wrote:
In article , Tai says...

Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

Yes, it does. Money is an acceptable gift in many circumstances and always
has been. I prefer to give and receive presents that have been chosen with
care and thoughtful attention to what the recipient might want but sometimes
that's difficult to do and sometimes money will be more appreciated. There's
nothing particularly nasty about money, as I suspect your teenager would
tell you if you asked him. (Mine like it all, gifts and money!)

Different families have different traditions in this. In mine we
post cards, photos, homemade dvds, young children's artwork and
crafts and other light-weight gifts and receive a mix of small light
gifts and cash (in some form or other), depending on the age of the
recipient.

Photos and such sound wonderful!

Anne said her gran wants to send money for Anne and her husband to
buy the children what they know their children will like. Perhaps
Gran is frail and can't easily shop for gifts anymore.

Gran can call, or send photos, or use the internet, and not task
somebody else with her gift shopping.

If Anne doesn't mind, why should you? Anne is talking about *her*
grandmother as far as I can tell. I have no idea how old Anne is but it's
quite possible the woman concerned is 80ish! I imagine she wants the
children to have something they will enjoy and knows their parents will be
able to find that. Would you also object if she asked Anne for a list of
suggestions rather than using her own imagination?

Sweet simple, and senseless.

Why?

Because it yet another step away (after even gift cards) from the
giving of gifts as a token of affection, and becomes a bare money
exchange. Done in both directions, it's just a bunch of effort just
to cancel each other out!

Oh, I thought you meant that Gran could also wire Anne money to buy a
present for herself! Okay, but you're using what might be a quite reasonable
action on the part of an elderly person with potentially limited shopping
options to trot out the hobby horse of people making pointless money
exchanges rather than true gift giving. I don't see any reason to think that
is what is going on here.

It's fairly common for grandparents to send money for gifts when
postage costs would eat significantly into the monetary value of the
gift. If grandma is going to buy the latest Harry Potter book for
John, aged 11, then it makes sense to send the money for John's
parents to buy the gift on the spot.

"On the spot?" John's parents live at the mall or in a bookstore?

Now you're being deliberately obtuse. Look, at this moment I have a stack of
carefully chosen books and other lighter presents I'm getting ready to post
off overseas as Christmas presents so you're actually arguing with someone
who prefers to pay ridiculous postal costs to make my gift gestures in the
form I am most comfortable with. However, if other people choose to simply
exchange money and get some sort of meaning out of that then all power to
them, there's room for all of us.

I do know it's fairly common - it's just that it's nutty. Especially
when people are wiring *each other* $$$. How about getting back to
gifts as tokens, within one's means and abilities, and *away from*
this gotta-spend money thing.

Well, if you ever get to be Queen of the World then you can make a law about
it if you want to!

Love it.

I sense you aren't being quite sincere, Banty! What's the matter,
haven't you got anyone to argue with at the moment?!

You don't care much for irony, OK.

Actually I do, I just think you are being more contentious than ironic
because this is an issue that annoys you. I understand why it does but I
think you're whistling into the wind on it.

Free Rx Cards t5oml3qe General 0 October 15th 07 05:16 AM
Personalized Note Cards for Any Age [email protected] Twins & Triplets 0 October 8th 07 03:48 PM
Teens and credit cards Cathy Kearns General 50 October 19th 05 02:49 AM
Xmas cards HanK Single Parents 12 December 30th 03 10:50 PM
Baby Announcement Cards Tracey Pregnancy 2 August 9th 03 06:42 AM