Interesting Info from my sister's Baby Book

Old July 8th 03, 05:48 AM
A&G&K

Default Interesting Info from my sister's Baby Book

"Corinne" wrote in message

"A&G&K" wrote in message

"Brandy Kurtz" wrote in message
om...

snip

OMG! Wow, it really is interesting how much the baby raising
information has changed over the years, thank goodness! My dad always
says....Well you are still alive aren't you?!?!

Brandy

he he - my Dad says the same thing when he asks if he can feed DD (10.5

mo)
honey ... "You had it when you were that small and you're OK"
Amanda

Seems like a LOT of our parents (grandparents, neighbors, whatever) say
stuff like this - but the thing is, many of us AREN'T okay - my older

sister
being my case-and-point. You know, I even hear from my own Mom the "we
didn't use carseats when we had babies and...." etc, etc. Not saying that

shouldn't use one with my daughter, but saying that making it a Law might

be
too much...

My mom is a smart lady, but a bit older, and from the generation of "If it
was good enough for me, it's good enough for you.".

:-)

Corinne

I take your point. ... and I've been known to go "off" at my Dad when he
suggests something completely stupid to feed DD.
I wonder what we will be telling our kids is "OK" when they have kids??
Amanda

Old July 9th 03, 04:12 AM
Corinne

I take your point. ... and I've been known to go "off" at my Dad when he
suggests something completely stupid to feed DD.
I wonder what we will be telling our kids is "OK" when they have kids??
Amanda

LOL Interesting question!! :-) Hopefully, NOTHING that we haven't researched
first....! ;-)

Corinne

Old July 9th 03, 04:11 PM

is there a baby book for you? (how) were you treated differently?
just curious...
Edith

"Corinne" wrote in message
t...
Hi, folks! I just came across some info I copied out of my older sister's
baby book, and thought I'd pass it along to the ng for your interest &
edification. My sister suffers from Crohn's disease, and my husband, after
learning this baby book info, said that he wondered if any studies had

been
done regarding formula feeding/early intro to solids in regards to

diseases
such as Crohn's. Interesting question, and I don't think that any studies
*exactly like that* have been done, although I know of plenty which say

that
BFing and later intro of solids may help PREVENT such diseases...Lemme

tell
you, when I read what my sis was subjected to, I was SO HORRIFIED and sad
for my Mom (and sis, of course). My sister was born in 1959, and was the

2nd
of three children; my Mom was not only NOT encouraged to BF, but told she
was not allowed to BF, as it "Just wasn't done anymore" and wasn't as
healthy as the alternatives. She was given "The Shot" to dry up her milk
after each of her three children were born...you know, the shot (I forget
the name of the drug) that has since been banned because it was found to
cause many awful side effects, up to and sometimes including Death! :-(
After my Mom listened to my spiels on the benefits & wonders of
breastmilk/BFing, she expressed some sadness that her generation was

treated
so poorly by the medical establishment when it came to childbirth issues.

Anyway, here is the info. Hug your BF babies after you read this!

Sister (Hereafter referred to as T1): Born 02-27-59, birthweight 7lbs,

1oz.
Discharge weight, 6lbs, 3 oz. Weight at one year: 22lbs.

Notes from her Baby Book: "Broke 2am feeding at 2 weeks; Stopped 10pm

bottle
5 weeks; Stopped 2pm bottle 7 weeks, went on 3 meals daily."

(note scribbled in margin: "Formula = Karo/Water/Evap.Milk")

"1 Month = Cereal at 10am.
2 Months = Started fruit.
3 Months = Vegetables.
4 Months = Off Formula; Soups & Puddings for supper.
5 Months = Drinks Milk from Cup.
6 Months = Egg a.m., noon: meat; night: baked potato, jello, toast,

banana,
boiled rice, cottage cheese, cream cheese."

Okay, on the Grand Scheme of things, this might not look as awful as all
that - but when I think about what I've learned about breastmilk v.

formula
(or ANY bm substitute), and early intro of solids....I CRINGE and ache

when
I picture my Momma feeding my sister...ignoring the tongue-thrust
reflex...and then (as lots of our parents did), after supper, putting T1
into her crib, alone in her room, leaving & shutting the door till

morning.

Sigh.

Have a good 4th; I'm gonna go climb into bed and see if my 2 yr old wants

nurse!

Corinne

--
"Since AP parents are accused of "spoiling" their children with
responsiveness, love, understanding, patience, positive interaction,

Unite!"
--Jessica, iVillage AP board

Old July 9th 03, 04:15 PM

unfortunately this sounds very familiar from the May03 group I had been
involved with. I finally gave up and unsub'd - couldn't take it any more.
the idea was that "mother knows best" "mother's instinctively know what to
do".
Edith

"Beth" wrote in message

"Lauren" wrote in message
We have come a long way from that in the
last forty years - I mean I haven't heard of anyone giving solids before
four months old anymore.

Oh . . . there are pockets of parents fighting hard to conserve their
ignorance. Last week we had a waitress with a son our own son's age (7
months), and she presented Teddy with a grape sucker. Her son *loves* any
candy, she told us. And, she added, he had begun taking cereal at one

week
old. I asked if he had been having some kind of digestive trouble and she
said that he'd been waking and wanting to eat *all the time* when they
brought him home, so on to cereal it was.

--
Beth
John & Theodor's mother

Old July 9th 03, 08:36 PM
Naomi Pardue

(note scribbled in margin: "Formula = Karo/Water/Evap.Milk")

How the hell did anyone *ever* think this was healthier than breast milk?!!!

Well, FWIW, despite what her doctor may have told her, it was well known in
1959 that breastmilk WAS healthier than formula. (It was just too bad,
unfortunatley, that modern women were just too nervous to be able to nurse
successfully ... and aren't we lucky that we live in modern times where we have
such good formulas that are so nearly as good as breastmilk that babies will do
practically just as well on them!!)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old July 9th 03, 08:39 PM
Naomi Pardue

Yeah... I was formula fed and I'm not OK. And whenever conversation goes in
that direction, I feel compelled to say so.

Yeah, I have to suspect that it ISN"T purely coincidence that I am the only one
among my siblings who was not breastfed ... and I'm also the only one among my
siblings to have allergies and chronic health problems.
(Not that all of them are necessarily related to the formula -- I can't say
that I've ever seen studies connecting migraines to formula feeding...)

Old July 9th 03, 09:02 PM
Iuil

"Naomi Pardue" wrote
Yeah... I was formula fed and I'm not OK. And whenever conversation goes

in
that direction, I feel compelled to say so.

Yeah, I have to suspect that it ISN"T purely coincidence that I am the

only one
among my siblings who was not breastfed ... and I'm also the only one

among my
siblings to have allergies and chronic health problems.
(Not that all of them are necessarily related to the formula -- I can't

say
that I've ever seen studies connecting migraines to formula feeding...)

My anecdote:

Me - ff from birth, solids at 3(?) months: some allergies and food
intolerences, mainly minor
#2 - ff from birth, whole milk at 2 weeks, cereal at 4 weeks ("big hungry
baby"): anaphalactic allergy to some shellfish, other minor allergies and
intolerences
#3 - bf for 8 weeks exclusively, solids at 4 months: nickel allergy, I'm not
aware of any other allergies or intolerences that she might have
#4 - bf for 4 months exclusively, combi-fed until 10 months: *NO ALLERGIES
OR FOOD INTOLERENCES*

Of my cousins, all the ones with significant asthma, exzema, food
intolerences etc have all been ff. Any that have been bf, even for a short
period of time, have either fewer less severe symptoms or no problems at
all.

Jean

--
"And he said:
Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of
Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you, and
though they are with you, yet they belong not to you." Khalil Gibran

Return address is unread. Replies to firstnamelastname @eircom.net.

Old July 9th 03, 11:56 PM
Corinne

"Naomi Pardue" wrote in message
(note scribbled in margin: "Formula = Karo/Water/Evap.Milk")

How the hell did anyone *ever* think this was healthier than breast

milk?!!!

Well, FWIW, despite what her doctor may have told her, it was well known

in
1959 that breastmilk WAS healthier than formula. (It was just too bad,
unfortunatley, that modern women were just too nervous to be able to nurse
successfully ... and aren't we lucky that we live in modern times where we

have
such good formulas that are so nearly as good as breastmilk that babies

will do
practically just as well on them!!)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the "CAPPA" designation...I'll look it up.
However...."Formulas that are so nearly as good as breastmilk that babies
will do practically just as well on them"????

Not Hardly. Much better than they used to be, yes...Not as likely to
endanger the health of babies, True...nearly as good as breastmilk? No.

Again, this is my opinion - not a slam at you, just a disagreement.
Corinne

Old July 10th 03, 12:08 AM
Corinne

"E" wrote in message
is there a baby book for you? (how) were you treated differently?
just curious...
Edith

Edith, GREAT question!! Yes, there IS a baby book for me, however, as I'm
the last of three children, my baby book has basic milestones & maybe 1 or 2
anecdotes, period. Things like, my weight at birth, when I walked, my first
tooth, my illnesses & doc's reccomendations for them, and my gifts at my
Christening, first birthday & first Christmas.

There is absolutely NO mention of food, firsts or anything. I was born when
my mom was 35, and when I ask her these days what she fed me when, she says
she can't remember. She didn't breastfeed ANY of us, and knows that I was
allergic to milk as an infant, so I think she said I got soy formula &
goat's milk, if I remember correctly.

I also now have an ulcer & "nervous stomach", and have had it since I was in
third grade...I have a serious milk problem (lactose intolerance,
intolerance of bovine protien, what have you), and eczema.

I wish I did have more specific info, but that's how it goes!

Corinne

When mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Old July 10th 03, 12:18 AM
H Schinske

Corinne wrote:

However...."Formulas that are so nearly as good as breastmilk that babies
will do practically just as well on them"????

Naomi was being sarcastic.

--Helen