Feeding recommendations for a 22 month old?

Old July 23rd 06, 04:59 AM posted to misc.kids
Joey's Mama

Default Feeding recommendations for a 22 month old?

My DS is 22 months, and does not drink a lot of milk, and only the chocolate
kind. My question is, recommended milk intake for a toddler is 500ml. He
has about 150ml with his morning cereal, and drinks about 60ml 3 to 4 times
during the day. I can usually get about 350ml into him in a day. I am not
talking about total dairy intake, but milk intake alone. Even to get more
milk into him with pudding, etc, then he is so full, he refuses to eat any
other food. He ends up only consuming dairy. Also, to go by the
recommended food guidelines for toddlers, there is no way my kid can eat
that much in a day. Heck, I can't! This is my first kid, do other kids eat
and drink this much? My DS is in the 40th percentile for weight and height.

Please, any help or information is greatly appreciated. I am feeling like a
bad parent.

Old July 23rd 06, 12:21 PM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Hi --

At this age your child should be moving to a balanced diet. Lots of
veggies and fruits, proteins, some calcium source, a moderate amount of
carbohaydrates, very little (if any) added sugars. Milk is a healthy
part of this diet, but is by no means required! Instead, think about
how much calcium he should be getting (from a variety of sources, not
just milk), how much protein (again, from a variety of sources) and fat.

Who told you that he should be getting 400ml of milk, anyway? Children
from 1-3 years of age needa bout 500mg of CALCIUM per day. That comes
to about 2 glasses of milk, or 2-3 cups of yogurt, or an equivalent
amount of cheese or enriched juices or soybeans or ... you get the
idea. There are MANY sources of calcium. If you make salmon cakes
using canned salmon (with bones) as a base, that's another good source
of calcium.

Milk is usually enriched with vitamin D, but you can get that from
sunshine (in season) or fish oils or supplements. Milk also contains
protein and fat, both of which are important for toddler growth, but
both of which are easy to get elsewhere. You may also want to start
your toddler on healthier fats, such as olive oil, anyway. Milk fat
isn't a particularly good one.

If you do a google search for "calcium requirement toddler" then you'll
get lots more information on this topic.

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old July 24th 06, 06:43 AM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article quCwg.55520$B91.8365@edtnps82,
"Joey's Mama" wrote:

My DS is 22 months, and does not drink a lot of milk, and only the chocolate
kind. My question is, recommended milk intake for a toddler is 500ml. He
has about 150ml with his morning cereal, and drinks about 60ml 3 to 4 times
during the day. I can usually get about 350ml into him in a day. I am not
talking about total dairy intake, but milk intake alone. Even to get more
milk into him with pudding, etc, then he is so full, he refuses to eat any
other food. He ends up only consuming dairy. Also, to go by the
recommended food guidelines for toddlers, there is no way my kid can eat
that much in a day. Heck, I can't! This is my first kid, do other kids eat
and drink this much? My DS is in the 40th percentile for weight and height.

Here is some Australian nutrition information:

The following is a rough guide to the amounts and types to offer, but donąt
worry if your child doesnąt actually eat all of these every day.
- Vegetables - 1-2 cups/day
- Fruit - 1-2 pieces/day
- Dairy foods (milk, cheese, yoghurt) - three serves/day -- a serve is
a cup of milk, a tub of yoghurt, or 30g cheese.
- Meat, eggs, fish, lentils etc - 150g/day
- Breads, cereals, rice and pasta - three to five cups/day

(My 5yo would not be eating the prescribed amount of protein food in a day,
though he would probably do the rest -- and he is tall and slim).

Seems to me that there may have been a misprint in something you read. Also,
I really think chocolate milk is a bad thing to be introducing to such a young
child, especially when it comes in frequent small serves -- it's a good way to
rot his teeth.

Filling up with milk is a common problm with toddlers and it does stop them
from eating other foods. I would suggest water for thirst, milk on cereal,
and yoghurt and cheese for the rest of his dairy intake. But don't stand
there with measuring cups. If your child is healthy, they generally consume
what htey need, as long as you limit the junk food.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old July 24th 06, 07:06 AM posted to misc.kids
Joey's Mama

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

[...]

There is 250 ml in one cup, so 2 cups of milk, = 500 ml. You told me, just
now, lol.

Thanks for the info, its just impossible for my child to consume that much
dairy. Can you imagine eating THREE CUPS of yogurt a day??!!

Old July 24th 06, 07:21 AM posted to misc.kids
Joey's Mama

"Joey's Mama" wrote:

[...]

1 cup = 250 ml. 2 cups = 500 ml. 3 cups = 750 ml. No misprint, you wrote
the same thing.

So, you are saying that because my son will not drink regular milk, and I
can barely get him to drink chocolate, then I shouldn't give him any? I
brush his teeth 3 times day, and I doubt they will rot, lol. A child who
drinks juice has a much better chance of tooth decay, and mine does not
drink any juice.

Thanks for the input!

Filling up with milk is a common problm with toddlers and it does stop
them
from eating other foods. I would suggest water for thirst, milk on
cereal,
and yoghurt and cheese for the rest of his dairy intake. But don't stand
there with measuring cups. If your child is healthy, they generally
consume
what htey need, as long as you limit the junk food.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Parenthood is like the modern stone washing process for denim jeans. You
may
Kerry Cue

Old July 24th 06, 03:33 PM posted to misc.kids
Tracey

"Joey's Mama" wrote in message
So, you are saying that because my son will not drink regular milk, and I
can barely get him to drink chocolate, then I shouldn't give him any?

If he doesn't like milk, he can get the 'milk' other ways (I HATE milk, but
happily eat the other 'milk' options).
Consider yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese....all are 'milk' as the food
guidelines reccomend. So if he were to drink one cup of milk, a serving of
cheese and a tub of yogurt, you've filled the reccomendations.

BTW, I give my toddler chocolate milk. However, I only put a tiny bit of
chocolate in it. The container says to add 2 tablespoons of Nesquick to one
cup of milk. I think that is too much, so I add probably one teaspoon of
chocolate to the 8 oz milk. Much less sugar, and he still gets the flavor
that he likes.

Old July 24th 06, 04:43 PM posted to misc.kids
L.

Joey's Mama wrote:
My DS is 22 months, and does not drink a lot of milk, and only the chocolate
kind. My question is, recommended milk intake for a toddler is 500ml. He
has about 150ml with his morning cereal, and drinks about 60ml 3 to 4 times
during the day. I can usually get about 350ml into him in a day. I am not
talking about total dairy intake, but milk intake alone. Even to get more
milk into him with pudding, etc, then he is so full, he refuses to eat any
other food. He ends up only consuming dairy. Also, to go by the
recommended food guidelines for toddlers, there is no way my kid can eat
that much in a day. Heck, I can't! This is my first kid, do other kids eat
and drink this much? My DS is in the 40th percentile for weight and height.

Please, any help or information is greatly appreciated. I am feeling like a
bad parent.

At 24 months my son was eating 3 meals a day, and drinking at least 20
ounces of milk daily (roughly 600ml), in addition to water and diluted
juice. Sounds like your guy needs an appetite stimulant or more fresh
air and exercise.

-L.

Old July 24th 06, 04:53 PM posted to misc.kids
L.

Joey's Mama wrote:
1 cup = 250 ml. 2 cups = 500 ml. 3 cups = 750 ml. No misprint, you wrote
the same thing.

So, you are saying that because my son will not drink regular milk, and I
can barely get him to drink chocolate, then I shouldn't give him any? I
brush his teeth 3 times day, and I doubt they will rot, lol. A child who
drinks juice has a much better chance of tooth decay, and mine does not
drink any juice.

That's not true. Milk rots teeth very easily.

Get rid of the chocolate in the milk - there's no reason for it and the
caffeine can't be good for him - caffeine also kills appetite.

-L.

Old July 24th 06, 07:45 PM posted to misc.kids
Joey's Mama

"L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Joey's Mama wrote:
[...]

My kid just does not drink much. What is an appetite stimulant? We swim
every morning, we are outside playing a good 3 hours ( or more ) a day, and
we go for a long walk every evening. He gets more fresh air and exercise
than any other kid I know, lol. My problem is, he just isn't a good
drinker. He is not dehydrated, and has plenty of wet diapers, but when it
comes to drinking anything, expecially milk, he just won't do it.

Old July 24th 06, 07:47 PM posted to misc.kids
Joey's Mama

"Tracey" wrote in message
. net...

"Joey's Mama" wrote in message
So, you are saying that because my son will not drink regular milk, and I
can barely get him to drink chocolate, then I shouldn't give him any?

If he doesn't like milk, he can get the 'milk' other ways (I HATE milk,
but happily eat the other 'milk' options).
Consider yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese....all are 'milk' as the food
guidelines reccomend. So if he were to drink one cup of milk, a serving
of cheese and a tub of yogurt, you've filled the reccomendations.

BTW, I give my toddler chocolate milk. However, I only put a tiny bit of
chocolate in it. The container says to add 2 tablespoons of Nesquick to
one cup of milk. I think that is too much, so I add probably one teaspoon
of chocolate to the 8 oz milk. Much less sugar, and he still gets the
flavor that he likes.

I dilute the chocolate milk with regular, so its only about a 1/4 cup
chocolate to 3/4 cup regular.