Lina's failed back surgery (Can we rehab squatting ability?) (Squatting NOT necessary at birth!)

Old October 27th 03, 12:33 AM
Todd Gastaldo

Default Lina's failed back surgery (Can we rehab squatting ability?) (Squatting NOT necessary at birth!)

To remove yourself from my list, send a BLANK email to .
I will delete you immediately...

LINA'S FAILED BACK SURGERY (microdiscectomy)... See below.

First things first...

PREGNANT WOMEN: MDs are closing birth canals up to 30% by using semisitting
and dorsal delivery. It's EASY to allow your birth canal to OPEN the
"extra" up to 30%!

SQUATTING IS NOT NECESSARY AT BIRTH:

You do NOT have to squat to allow your birth canal to open the "extra" up to
30%. Just roll onto your side - but see the WARNINGS below.

LINA'S FAILED BACK SURGERY (microdiscectomy)...

Lina Talbot, MD (perhaps she is an MB?) writes of her failed back surgery...

"When the radicular pain returned after my microdiscectomy, I battled for
months to cope...I returned to the neurosurgeon, who did computed
tomography, pronounced that the prolapse had not recurred, and told me it
would take more time. Despite twice weekly physiotherapy and utmost care
with all physical activities, I gradually worsened and developed bladder
problems. Only after many consultations and investigations did I pick up a
book and read about Postdiskotomie-Syndrom. I then began to understand that,
although the nerve roots were not damaged directly by the surgery, they were
now encased in a web of scar tissue causing pain and spasm...tweaked...by
movements of the spine and legs...After four years I still haven't found
appropriate rehabilitative support in the United Kingdom...Even in Germany,
where I participated in a rehabilitation programme...""
--Talbot L. BMJ 2003;327:985-986 (25 October)
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte...l/327/7421/985

OPEN LETTER (archived for global access***)

Lina Talbot, MD (or perhaps MB?)
Registrar (retired)
General Medicine
1 Torquay
Devon TQ1 3TB
GREAT BRITAIN

Lina,

How very sad that four years after your failed back surgery you "still
haven't found appropriate rehabilitative support..."

I, too, am interested in finding appropriate rehabilitative support.

I'm *particularly* interested in finding appropriate rehabilitative support
for...

CHILDREN...

BEFORE spine surgery - before conservative care - before SPINAL PAIN...

Should we not allow/encourage our children to rehabilitate their innate
comfortable prolonged flat-footed squatting ability?

See Fahrni WH. Conservative treatment of lumbar disc degeneration: our
primary
responsibility. Orth Clin N Am 1975;6(1):93-103.

ADULTS...

Since it may be impossible to rehabilitate (recover) lost bony "squatting"
facets.

Since it may be impossible to fully rehabiliate an adult's *innate
flat-footed squatting ability* once lost.

PREVENTION of the squatting loss may be best.

Prevention may lower risk of future back injury...

I noted in my peer review of the first draft of the 1994 US Public
Health
Service sponsored Acute Low Back Problems Guideline:

Making squatting an activity of daily living again would certainly

increase
"flexibility," a distinct concern of the U.S. Department of Health and Human
Services, Public Health Service.

Quoting from the PHS publication Healthy

People 2000:

"Flexibility describes the range of motion in a joint or sequence of

joints.
Those with greater flexibility may have a lower risk of future back
injury...Joint movement through the full range of motion helps to improve
and maintain flexibility...

"...The performance of routine daily activities is particularly important

maintaining functional independence and social integration in older adults.
Increasing public awareness of all of these potential benefits may help to
encourage the pursuit of activities that will promote...flexibility."
[Harrell JA, Artz LM, Files A, Baker D (eds.). Healthy people 2000: National
health promotion and disease prevention objectives. DHHS Pub. No.
(PHS)91-50212, 1991:100]

Lina, regardless whether you find the "appropriate rehabilitative support"
you are looking for...

I hope you will join me in working to rehabilitate (or prevent loss of) the
innate flat-footed squatting ability.

See Feldenkrais lesson: Effortless Squatting...

Thanks for reading,

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS1 Lina, you wrote:

"I have learnt to be wary of enthusiastic physiotherapists."
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte...l/327/7421/985

I, too, have learnt to be wary of enthusiastic physiotherapists (and
enthusiastic MDs/MBs and DCs and DOs)!

(I still haven't learnt to be wary of my own enthusiasm, though. : (
Perhaps I'm wrong - but I don't think so - but obviously I am biased -
perhaps over-enthusiastic about my ideas. If you perceive any error, please
immediately point it out - preferably publicly.)

MAINTAIN THE LUMBAR LORDOSIS?

Enthusiastic physiotherapists **bizarrely** promote maintaining the lumbar
lordosis...

Indeed MANY enthusiastic physiotherapists (and MDs/MBs and DCs and DOs)
bizarrely promote "maintaining the lumbar lordosis."

SARAH KEY, enthusiastic physiotherapist to HRH Prince of Wales bizarrely
promotes "maintaining the lumbar lordosis."

I wrote to Sarah:

"Most humans on the planet make the lumbar lordosis DISAPPEAR in
circumstances where we Westerners sit in chairs or on bus benches and have
'spine experts' exhort us to 'maintain the lumbar lordosis'" - or words to
that effect...

Sarah never responded...

See Sarah Key's huge balls (also: Kids can SQUAT motionless for hours)...

Lina, what I'm getting at is this: You may NEVER find "appropriate
rehabilitative support" in a chair-dwelling culture which robs its members
of the ability to rest their spines whilst standing.

When we squat we rest our spines - we stack our lumbar vertebrae EVENLY
thereby forcing water and metabolites out of our lumbar discs EVENLY.

When we sleep, we take pressure off our lumbar discs and they absorb water
and nutrients.

When we sit or stand for prolonged periods (in circumstances where most
humans would squat)...

We **hammer** our posterior disc quadrants...The posterior disc quadrant
degenerates because posterior disc quadrants aren't designed to take the
full weight of the trunk for prolonged periods - i.e. - when we rest for
prolonged periods, our WHOLE DISCS are supposed to take the load.

Canadian orthopedic surgeon W. Harry Fahrni, MD treated low back pain by
stopping people from hammering their posterior disc quadrants...

At least that is my take on Fahrni's 1975 paper cited above...

See again: Fahrni WH. Conservative treatment of lumbar disc degeneration:
our primary
responsibility. Orth Clin N Am 1975;6(1):93-103.

PS2 LINA GET THIS: As Western culture robs its children of an innate
flat-footed squatting ability (I call this The Great Squat Robbery)...your
fellow MDs/MBs rob children of up to 30% of pelvic outlet area at birth!

The kicker?

Some MDs/MBs blame their bizarre birth-canal-closing practice on The Great
Squat Robbery!

See Gardosi et al.'s 1989 Lancet "randomised controlled trial of
squatting" - where nobody squatted...

Incidentally, Gardosi - a Brit - has changed his tune since initially
telling me (erroneously) that sedentary women can't squat well enough to do
so in labor.

Sedentary women CAN squat well enough to do so in labor [Paciornik. Birth
1992;19:230] - but they don't have to squat to allow their birth canals to
open maximally. See above - and see PREGNANT WOMEN, below.

CHIROPRACTIC BIRTH EMERGENCY LINA!...

MDs (and MBs and midwives) are senselessly closing birth canals up to 30%.

MDs (and MBs and midwives) are gruesomely manipulating - pushing and pulling
on the tiniest
spines - with birth canals senselessly closed up to 30%.

Some babies are dying... OBs are killing an estimated six babies per DAY
with vacuum-assisted spinal
manipulation alone - with birth canals senselessly closed up to 30%...

See USUAL MECHANISM (PS5) in my article, "Pregnant chiro patients: BIZARRE
chiro legislation - babies be damned..."
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chiro-list/message/2135

MD-obstetricians CAUSE cephalopelvic disproportion (and failure to
progress) - then perform c-sections BEcause of cephalopelvic disproportion
(and failure to progress)!

Epidural pain relief is a godsend for some women - but why close birth
canals and make women beg for it?

MORE MD crime against mothers...

MDs are performing "generous" episiotomies when they use their vacuum
extractors and forceps...

MDs are performinig episiotomies - "generous" or otherwise - in MOST
births!

Stated more usefully, in most births MDs are routinely SLASHING VAGINAS -
surgically/FRAUDULENTLY inferring they are doing everything possible to OPEN
birth canals - even as they CLOSE birth canals - up to 30%!

PREGNANT WOMEN: You can allow your birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up to
30% - just roll onto your side - or use kneeling or hands-and-knees or stand
or squat - ANYTHING but semisitting or dorsal.

WARNINGS:

1. Most MD-obstetricians close the birth canal up to 30%^^^ even as they
acknowledge that closing the birth canal FAR LESS can kill.
2. Some MD-obstetricians will let you "try" "alternative" delivery positions
BUT they will move you back to dorsal or semisitting (close your birth canal
up to 30%!) for the actual delivery!

^^^NOTE: If the pubic arch is narrow, semisitting and dorsal likely close
the birth canal MORE than 30% in some women. According to Williams
Obstetrics [2001]:

"...With increasing narrowing
of the pubic arch, the occiput cannot emerge directly beneath the symphysis
pubis but is forced increasingly farther down...the ischiopubic rami. In
extreme cases, the head must rotate around a line joining the ischial
tuberosities [!] (p. 438)..."

PROOF that MDs know they are closing birth canals:

At my request, the authors of Williams Obstetrics *published*
"my" biomechanics - but they left in their text the "dorsal widens" bald lie
that first called my attention to their text.

Here are the biomechanics that were added at my request to Williams
Obstetrics:

"It should be noted...that the increase in the diameter of the
pelvic outlet occurs *only* if the sacrum is allowed to rotate
posteriorly..."
[1993:285, *italics* in original]

OBVIOUS NEGLIGENCE: The authors of Williams Obstetrics left in their text
(in the same paragraph!) the "dorsal widens" bald lie that first called my
attention to their text. For a discussion of other obvious obstetric
negligence - and how the 30% figure was radiographically derived - see
http://home1.gte.net/gastaldo/part2ftc.html. My thanks to Prof. Dr. Moyses
Paciornik, MD, Curitiba, Brazil, for calling my attention to this
chiropractic emergency. See the Paciornik and Gastaldo letters in Birth
[1992;19:230]

FURTHER proof that MDs know they are closing birth canals:

ACOG's shoulder dystocia video purports to show
MDs how to OPEN the birth canal maximally when the shoulders get stuck -
which of course is an indirect admission that MDs are indeed routinely
CLOSING birth canals...

Unfortunately, the ACOG method for opening the birth canal (PROPER
McRoberts) actually keeps it closed...

See IMPROPER McRoberts can save tiny lives and tiny limbs...

(ACOG = Amercian College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists - the obstetric
trade union to which most MD-obstetricians belong.)

The massive MD crime is obvious.

PARDONS FOR MDs...

As always, I am in favor of pardons in advance for MDs. MDs are just
academic prime cuts forced through this culture's most powerful mental
meatgrinder - medical school.

LINA...

Don't you think our most powerful mental meatgrinders - medical schools -
should stop teaching MDs/MBs to close birth canals?

Don't you think they should start telling this chair-dwelling culture that
it is robbing its children of the ability to rest their spines whilst
standing?

THINK ABOUT IT LINA: This culture denies its members the very human ability
to rest on their feet in virtually any terrain.

You wrote:

"I battled for months to cope with ward work while seeking out an unoccupied
bed in a quiet corner for periodic breaks. The availability of beds, in
Germany at least, makes medicine seem the perfect occupation for someone
with failed back surgery."
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte...l/327/7421/985

Lina, I suspect that...

Long before your back surgery...

Long before you started experiencing back pain...

You could squat.

But your culture didn't let you.

You had to sit in a chair.

DO I KNOW THAT THE CHAIR CAUSED YOUR DISC DEGENERATION? (I don't even know
if you sit in chairs!)

I agree with Fahrni (as I interpret his work) and the US Public Health
Service quote above...

I believe many people are suffering low back pain because they are forced to
sit in chairs for prolonged periods...

BUT...

Even if sitting in chairs does NOT cause back pain...

Even if allowing/encouraging children to squat does not prevent back pain...

WITH NURSING HOMES OVERFLOWING...

Why would we continue to deny our elderly a childhood range of motion and
the lower limb power to rise from a squat?

It makes no sense - just like it makes no sense for your fellow MDs/MBs to
close birth canals and gruesomely (sometimes fatally) manipulate most
babies' spines at birth.

Please help stop these obstetric/orthopedic travesties.

Thanks for reading,

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

***This Open Letter will be instantly archived for global access at...

Within 24 hours it
will be in the google archive. Search
http://groups.google.com for "Lina's failed back surgery (Can we rehab