2 for the price of 1

Old March 11th 05, 02:31 PM
middletree

Default 2 for the price of 1

When our twins were born, and for some time after, when someone would
find out we had twins, they'd say "Well, 2 for the price of 1!". Then
they chuckle. It still happens every now and then, even though they
are 3 and a half.

I'm not normally a negative person, nor violent, but I do want to slap
these people. My twins most definitely did not come at the price of
one kid. And mine were born full-term. I can imagine all of you who had
preemies and the bills that went along with that.

So does anyone but me get annoyed by this? And does anyone here have a
snappy comeback?

Keep in mind that I am not complaining about having twins. I love my
kids, all 3 of 'em. I'm not complaining about the expense. It's just an
ignorant thing to say.

Old March 11th 05, 06:18 PM
Frisbee®

middletree wrote:
When our twins were born, and for some time after, when someone would
find out we had twins, they'd say "Well, 2 for the price of 1!". Then
they chuckle. It still happens every now and then, even though they
are 3 and a half.

I'm not normally a negative person, nor violent, but I do want to slap
these people. My twins most definitely did not come at the price of
one kid. And mine were born full-term. I can imagine all of you who
had preemies and the bills that went along with that.

So does anyone but me get annoyed by this? And does anyone here have a
snappy comeback?

Keep in mind that I am not complaining about having twins. I love my
kids, all 3 of 'em. I'm not complaining about the expense. It's just
an ignorant thing to say.

I've never had anyone say that to me, but I've used it. Maybe I'm a moron.

--
Fris "It was a BOGO! (Buy One Get One)" bee®, MCNGP #13

The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
http://www.mcngp.com

Certaholics

Old March 11th 05, 07:02 PM

My husband uses the "two for the price of one" line when we discuss
having a fourth child. We always said that we wanted three children,
but he thinks since we got a "two for" with the last pregnancy we
should make a go of a fourth pregnancy. I think people just think it
is a cute saying... you know two baby's for 1 pregnancy. I don't think
they are referring literally to the price... just my two cents. =)

Old March 11th 05, 09:58 PM
Crystal Dreamer

"middletree" wrote:
When our twins were born, and for some time after, when someone would
find out we had twins, they'd say "Well, 2 for the price of 1!". Then
they chuckle. It still happens every now and then, even though they
are 3 and a half.

I'm not normally a negative person, nor violent, but I do want to slap
these people. My twins most definitely did not come at the price of
one kid. And mine were born full-term. I can imagine all of you who had
preemies and the bills that went along with that.

So does anyone but me get annoyed by this? And does anyone here have a
snappy comeback?

Keep in mind that I am not complaining about having twins. I love my
kids, all 3 of 'em. I'm not complaining about the expense. It's just an
ignorant thing to say.

I don't get mad at it, but I do get irritated for several reasons. My
pregnancy was not easy, I spent months in the hospital & on terb, battling
preterm labor. My first child was stillborn at 6 months, so it's more like
getting two for the price of 3 for us.

--
-Lisa
Due September 2005

Old March 12th 05, 04:00 AM
Jennifer in Maryland

"middletree" wrote in message
oups.com...
When our twins were born, and for some time after, when someone would
find out we had twins, they'd say "Well, 2 for the price of 1!". Then
they chuckle. It still happens every now and then, even though they
are 3 and a half.

I'm not normally a negative person, nor violent, but I do want to slap
these people. My twins most definitely did not come at the price of
one kid. And mine were born full-term. I can imagine all of you who had
preemies and the bills that went along with that.

So does anyone but me get annoyed by this? And does anyone here have a
snappy comeback?

I think they're just trying to find something funny to say, and maybe you
worry that your parenting is minimized as if you only had two kids when you
actually have three kids?

Personally, I got 4 kids for the price of 2, and I do use that line a lot,
lol. :-D

(I began raising my SD when she was a baby, then had twins, then a
singleton.)

If you want to respond, then I guess it makes a difference if it's someone
you know (friend/relative), or just a stranger. If it's someone you'll see
again, then I could imagine remarking that you only had to go through one
pregnancy to have the twins, but it was tough because it was high risk.

Jennifer

Old March 12th 05, 07:02 AM
Seth Jackson

On 11 Mar 2005 06:31:26 -0800, "middletree"
wrote:

When our twins were born, and for some time after, when someone would
find out we had twins, they'd say "Well, 2 for the price of 1!". Then
they chuckle. It still happens every now and then, even though they
are 3 and a half.

I'm not normally a negative person, nor violent, but I do want to slap
these people. My twins most definitely did not come at the price of
one kid. And mine were born full-term. I can imagine all of you who had
preemies and the bills that went along with that.

So does anyone but me get annoyed by this? And does anyone here have a
snappy comeback?

Keep in mind that I am not complaining about having twins. I love my
kids, all 3 of 'em. I'm not complaining about the expense. It's just an
ignorant thing to say.

Since we had to go through costly IVF treatment, our twins literally
were 2 for the price of 1.
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.co...ypictures.html

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net
Old March 12th 05, 02:24 PM
Jonathan Wolgamuth

In message oups.com on 11
Mar 2005, middletree said to all at alt.parenting.twins-triplets

When our twins were born, and for some time after, when someone would
find out we had twins, they'd say "Well, 2 for the price of 1!". Then
they chuckle. It still happens every now and then, even though they
are 3 and a half.

I'm not normally a negative person, nor violent, but I do want to slap
these people. My twins most definitely did not come at the price of
one kid. And mine were born full-term. I can imagine all of you who had
preemies and the bills that went along with that.

So does anyone but me get annoyed by this? And does anyone here have a
snappy comeback?

Keep in mind that I am not complaining about having twins. I love my
kids, all 3 of 'em. I'm not complaining about the expense. It's just an
ignorant thing to say.

Just say, "No, actually they're priceless." ;-)

--

Jonathan Wolgamuth jonwolgamuth(at)gmail(dot)com

"I remember being knocked out by their, their exuberance, their raw power -
and their punctuality."

M.D.
Old March 15th 05, 02:08 PM
Tanya Makins

I would say that it is 2 for the price of 2.... I actually have 3 children
an 8 year old boy and twins who have just turned 3. It annoys me when
people say 'We always wanted twins'... have they really thought about it or
do they only like the idea of twins?? I must say, things are getting easier
now, they entertain each other which I think is easier than when my older
singleton was their age as he was very demanding on my time but thinking
about it, they don't actually get my time now. Oh well, you can't have it
all ways, we accept what is given to us as a blessing and we should be
grateful. My children are beautiful and healthy... what more could I ask
for?

Tanya (Nottingham, England)

Old March 16th 05, 12:24 AM
Ellen

That is exactly what I was going to say, Seth. We also did IVF and
did, literally, get two for the price of one!

Ellen
------------
Erin 6/95
Bradley & Alex 10/00

Old March 16th 05, 03:45 AM
Cindy Wells

"Ellen" wrote in news:1110932676.687192.287560
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

That is exactly what I was going to say, Seth. We also did IVF and
did, literally, get two for the price of one!

My parents also are able to say my sister and I were two for the price
of one in the first month. The hospital insisted on my parents paying
for the delivery and hospital stay in advance (assuming an uncomplicated
labor and delivery of a singleton and a three day stay). All three of us
were released after 2 days and dad got a refund.

Cindy Wells
(of course the surprise baby caused other issues)

Ellen
Erin 6/95
Bradley & Alex 10/00