I'm a newbie

Old March 9th 05, 06:11 PM
New news

Default I'm a newbie

Hello All,
I just found this group, and I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions before
long.
We've known for about 5 weeks that we're pregnant, but just found out last
night that we're having twins! It's a little overwhelming.
Can anybody tell me how long it'll be before we can find out if they're
fraternal or identical?
And/or I'd like to know what the odds are that we'll have one of each (a boy
and a girl).
Thanks
~ Linda

Old March 9th 05, 09:42 PM
Steve Smith

"New news" wrote in
:

Hello All,
I just found this group, and I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions
before long.
We've known for about 5 weeks that we're pregnant, but just found out
last night that we're having twins! It's a little overwhelming.
Can anybody tell me how long it'll be before we can find out if they're
fraternal or identical?
And/or I'd like to know what the odds are that we'll have one of each
(a boy and a girl).
Thanks
~ Linda

I don't know all of the time details, but if you end up having two girls or
two boys and they are each in their own sac with their own placenta, then
you could possibly never know if they are identical or fraternal. Thos
conditions could mean either and your twins could look very identical but
you can't know for sure without a blood test. This is the boat I'm in with
my 3 month old twin girls. We bounce back and forth whether we think they
are fraternal or identical.

As I understand it, if they are in the same sac or if they are using the
same placenta (I think you can tell these things at 24 weeks?) then you
probably have identical twins. I can't remember when you can tell the sex,
20-24 weeks? Boy/girl twins are, of course, fraternal and if they are
fraternal then you have about a 50% chance of them being boy/girl. It's
that 50% of fraternal twins that are boy/boy or girl/girl that give us the
unknowns.

Congratulations!
Steve

dad to Brianna(2/03) and Rebecca & Sydney (12/04)
Old March 10th 05, 11:56 PM
Julie

Linda --

Approximately:

1/3 of all twins are b/g.
1/6 are identical b/b
1/6 are identical g/g
1/6 are fraternal b/b
1/6 are fraternal g/g

The only real way to know for SURE before birth if they are identical
(assuming they are same-sex) is if they turn out to have Twin to twin
transfusion syndrome, which I believe is only an identical twin phenomenon.
You don't want this, so don't wish for it. Though some doctors will tell
you based on the sacs what they THINK they are -- and will represent it as
fact -- they are sometimes wrong. Though identicals typically have thinner
membranes, the only way to tell for sure is by very obvious differences
after birth (e.g. different blood types would indicate fraternals, as would
one brunette and one blonde), or by a DNA test, which can be mail-ordered
for $150 or so.

You can usually see gender at 16-18 weeks or so.

Congratulations!

Julie
Mom to 7 year-old b/g twins

Old March 28th 05, 06:08 AM
New news

Thanks for the info. Sounds like we've got good odds.

a href="http://lilypie.com"img
src="http://lilypie.com/days/051019/0/29/0/-6" alt="Lilypie Baby Ticker"
border="0" //a

Newbie says hello Heather Pregnancy 7 April 29th 04 06:13 AM
Another Newbie bantered Single Parents 6 February 10th 04 10:32 PM
Newbie with question Sandy Pregnancy 3 January 6th 04 06:30 AM
Newbie Fighting for kids Child Support 0 November 3rd 03 12:07 AM
Re Newbie question andrea Pregnancy 0 July 24th 03 09:00 AM