Justice League DVDs - Appropriate for Children?

Old September 14th 03, 12:03 AM
Sonnie B.

Default Justice League DVDs - Appropriate for Children?

So, my 2 1/2 yo kid is in absolute awe over Superman and Batman.

We don't know why or how, but he is really into it. Whenever he sees
them in the store he gets totally excited and wants to jump out of
the cart to see.

We got him the 10.5" action figures and he just loves them, but
recently
I became kind of concerned.

I went to a local - and trustworthy - record/video store and asked one
of
the staff about the Superman videos and all that... a recommendation,
you know.

He showed me the new Justice League and told me that kids were really
into
it right now and it's hot and my kid will love it.

I told him that my kid was 2 1/2 and he said beyond a few scenes where
they
blow up robots, it's pretty tame.

I got it home and previewed it. I was blown away. It was dark, scary,
and really
violent. Within 5 minutes, Batman was getting the lunch beat out of
him, people
were screaming, and guns were blazing in every direction.

Not only that, but everything was superfast... like watching a
technicolor strobe light.
This may be fine for 10 and older, but man - not for a 2 1/2 year old.

I called the store and explained what happended and they informed me I
could
not return the DVD - it was new and opened. I could sell it back to
them at a fraction
of the price, but that was not acceptable.

I can give the DVD to my 12 yo nephew, so I'm not too upset about
keeping it,
but what I'm really peeved about is that I asked for staff help and
they steered me
in the wrong direction. I would've been happier if he'd said, "No way
man, this is
too much for a little guy - try the Wiggles instead."

Anyhow... just wondering if I'm being too much of an old fart about
this?
Old September 14th 03, 01:56 AM
Bill Bickel

"Sonnie B." wrote in message
om...
[...]

Did you speak with the manager? Theer's always somebody with the authority
to override store policy if there's a legitimate reason to (and in this case
there was). If it's a chain, there will be a regional magazine. I generally
work my way up, just because that's the sort of ornery person I am -- and it
generally works.

Bill Bickel
http://www.comicsidontunderstand.com
http://www.missing-kids.us
http://www.lawsuit-of-the-week.com

Old September 14th 03, 08:03 AM
kingdom2000

Heh this falls under the common sense category that parents need to
look into. Oh wait, I forget its everyone's else job to police the
children.

Anyway, its about superheroes that save the world all the time. That
usually means more then just beating up a robot. Means beating up
people, blocking weapons, and other violent things. If there is noone
in danger, there is nothing to be a hero for...therefore no program.
Also not a very good story if the heroes are percieved to be in some
danger of losing (even if we know never will). That too means they
have to get their butts kicked some.

How you cannot know this from your childhood, books, own experience,
other cartoons etc I don't know.

Its all that thinking is to hard try this - if its scheduled before
8:30am on networks..the cartoon is probably tame enough for kids under
8. If its on afterwords or at night, keep it away from them.
Old September 14th 03, 08:36 PM
Tenzel Kim

My only question would be if you'd let your kid watch things like Tom &
Jerry and other cartoons like that? Those are every bit as violent as
Justice League and to a kid of that age I doubt the reactions would be a
lot different. Small children don't view the violence the same way we do
as adults and sometimes I think we as parents are way too overprotective
when it comes to this form of entertainment.

However, considering the age if your kid I think it is good that you
watch the show before letting your kid see it. Personally if I decided
that it was ok to let my child watch it I would be there right alongside
him when he watched it so that I could determine if he found it
frightening or not and considering you have already seen it I would
start with the episodes that I felt were the least violent.

As for the show itself I probably wouldn't show it to a 2½ yo kid but my
best friends son have seen several of the Superman and Batman Animated
shows which are much like the Justice League one and loved them and he
is only 3½ years old.

Tenz.

Old September 14th 03, 09:34 PM
Bill Bickel

"kingdom2000" wrote

If all that thinking is to hard, try this - if its scheduled before
8:30am on networks..the cartoon is probably tame enough for kids under
8. If its on afterwords or at night, keep it away from them.

That may have been a good rule of thumb once... but do you want your
6-year-old watching Friends?