15 month old's activities

Old December 2nd 03, 03:10 AM
elizabeth emerald

Default 15 month old's activities

i'm wondering what activities you do/did with your 15 month old during the
day, especially for a very active/busy toddler. can you outline a typical
day when you are at home for most of the day?
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

Old December 2nd 03, 03:48 AM
Ericka Kammerer

elizabeth emerald wrote:

i'm wondering what activities you do/did with your 15 month old during the
day, especially for a very active/busy toddler. can you outline a typical
day when you are at home for most of the day?

I don't know if I remember back that far all that
well, but I seem to recall mostly just going about my
life and incorporating the toddler into whatever I was
doing. I'd run errands, visit people, fix breakfast/lunch/
dinner/snacks, pick up/drop off other kids, do housework
(with "help" of course ;-), go for a walk, etc. In and
amongst all that, I'd stake out times to focus on specifically
focusing on the child and playing with him. Those times
we'd spend going to the playground, having a playdate,
playing a game, making music, doing a project, reading a
book, etc. Also, even at that age I didn't really focus
on entertaining them all the time. I'd go about my
business and encourage them to go play. Maybe they would,
and maybe they wouldn't, but they'd often surprise me
with the things they'd come up with to do on their own.
Sorry I can't remember more details! I just
remember we seemed to be busy doing *stuff*. Playing
isn't my long suit, but then again, I figured it was
good for them to play rather than me anyway. I just
made a commitment to spend chunks of time throughout
the day where I really focused just on them and what
they wanted to do. The rest of the time, we took care
of business. It seemed to work out in the end.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old December 2nd 03, 07:11 AM
P. Tierney

"elizabeth emerald" wrote in message
i'm wondering what activities you do/did with your 15 month old during the
day, especially for a very active/busy toddler. can you outline a typical
day when you are at home for most of the day?

Well, that was April, so I should be able to map
things out, but I can't. I've got the last four months
down perfectly, but you didn't ask about months
20-23, so.....

My daughter was/is also very active. It was
April, so that means that we went out 3-4
times a day. We took one "trip" someplace (kid's
museum, park/playground, zoo, etc.), usually
between naps one and two. Also in there, we
got a walk in, either in the backpack or around
the block with her walking and me helping. She
liked to walk on uneven or odd surfaces, up/down
hills, etc., and I helped her with her balance, never
saying no, which has helped her to this day. Anyway,
we also went on a later walk and perhaps a visit to
some of the neighborhood kids.

I don't remember what she was playing with
inside at the time.

P. Tierney

Old December 2nd 03, 07:23 AM
toto

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 14:10:37 +1100, "elizabeth emerald"
wrote:

i'm wondering what activities you do/did with your 15 month
old during the day, especially for a very active/busy toddler.
can you outline a typical day when you are at home for most
of the day?

My granddaughter is 16 months old now and we often have
her at our house from 9 am or 10 am to around 5 pm. She
basically plays with supervision in our living room. We rotate
the toys as she gets bored with them. Grandpa plays peekaboo,
builds block towers for her to knock over, may read some books
to her if she is interested (mostly she is too busy crawling and
pulling up on furniture and cruising around the room for this
though she loved it when she was a bit younger) She eats
*lunch* at around 12:30 or 1 PM, plays on the floor for about
an hour and then gets sleepy. She is rocked to sleep on
grandpa or grandma's shoulder with Lullabies on a CD
(It's a CD she has liked since she was very little and she
now associates it with sleeping at our house, though she
does differently with her mom). She generally sleeps from
about 2 to 4 PM, then wakes up and gets changed, plays
a bit and eats *dinner* She amuses herself very well at
this point. She examines everything in detail and you can
see the wheels turning in her head as she tries to figure
out what is happening. She crawls over obstacles, loves
to crawl up stairs, to walk holding on to our fingers. She also
loves to take magnets off the refrigerator and to play with the
baby in the mirror (she stands and lifts a foot then tries to
figure out why the mirro baby lifted its foot too). She sings
and talks though we don't understand the words mostly.
She chatters to the stuffed animals and she makes signs
for some words. (She does *all done* very well when she
doesn't want anymore food, for example). I can't say she
has a typical day though as most of the time we take her
out at least some of the day. We take her to baby story time
at the library and to the pet store (she loves dogs) and to
the park when the weather is good. After she leaves, we
clean up the toys. g

I can't say what the day is like when she is with her mom
though. Only when we are babysitting for her.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old December 2nd 03, 12:54 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
elizabeth emerald wrote:

*i'm wondering what activities you do/did with your 15 month old during the
*day, especially for a very active/busy toddler. can you outline a typical
*day when you are at home for most of the day?

OK, well, when my firstborn was that age, I think it went something like:

5 am - wake up
5-6 am - lounge in bed hopelessly trying to get him to go back to sleep
6-7 am - getting dressed, straightening bedrooms
7-8 am - breakfast
8-9 read books
9-11 maybe a snack and a nap
11-2 go out to bookstore, play with train table and other kids, have lunch
2-3 fall asleep in car on way home, short nap
3-4 snack, play with tupperware while mommy does some dinner prep
4-5 read books and play while waiting for daddy to get home

That was a kind of typical type of day, IIRC.
Lots of times we'd substitute "visit with relatives" at home or away for
"go to bookstore/fall asleep in car" . We also did Gymboree for an hour
once a week, and sometimes storytime in the library once a week, and also
my son went to a music class once a week - I remember his music class was
9:30-10:30 am on Tuesdays...

Old December 2nd 03, 05:01 PM
Sue

At that age, I pretty much just incorporated them into my day. We would run
errands in the morning, go to playgroup on one morning, and on the days I
didn't have anywhere to go, we just hung around the house. My girls were
pretty good about playing by themselves. In the mornings, I would sit down
and play something with them or read books to them. Mostly though, they
dusted with me or did the laundry with me. I put tupperware containers on
the kitchen floor to play with. I am not one to sit down all day and play
with the kids, I can't stand to leave the house messy and gross, so I go
about what I need to do and incorporate them into it.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 2nd 03, 06:01 PM
Sophie

At that age, I pretty much just incorporated them into my day. We would
run
errands in the morning, go to playgroup on one morning, and on the days I
didn't have anywhere to go, we just hung around the house. My girls were
pretty good about playing by themselves. In the mornings, I would sit down
and play something with them or read books to them. Mostly though, they
dusted with me or did the laundry with me. I put tupperware containers on
the kitchen floor to play with. I am not one to sit down all day and play
with the kids, I can't stand to leave the house messy and gross, so I go
about what I need to do and incorporate them into it.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

That's what I did with all of mine.

I go on errands Mon Wed Fri mornings with Lewis while Patrick's at a
playgroup. I do a playdate Tues morning, coffee group on Thurs morning
(Patrick and Lewis go in the daycare). I was doing a Wed morning playgroup
for L but it wasn't structured like I thought it would be. Big gossip-fest
for the moms, not my thing.

Roughly 12 pm Lewis goes for a nap, me and Patrick have lunch. After L's
nap he has a snack. If he doesn't feel like napping he has lunch with us.
P and L play together till Charlotte gets home from school. They either play
indoors or in the backyard. They all drive me nuts till dinner. Then they
have dinner, bath (if needed or wanted), then bed at 7 pm for P, and 8 pm
for L and C.

That's it.

Sophie
#4 due 7/18/04

Old December 2nd 03, 09:37 PM
Ilse Witch

elizabeth emerald wrote:
i'm wondering what activities you do/did with your 15 month old during the
day, especially for a very active/busy toddler. can you outline a typical
day when you are at home for most of the day?

Here's DS schedule:
-wake up around 6.30 or 7am and first play around on parents' bed
while they desperately try to get a few minutes more sleep
-breakfast around 7.30 until 8am
-take a shower with either mommy or daddy, and get dressed
-around 9am we're ready to go
-runs around the living room and plays by himself for about an hour
-watch Sesamestreet
-10.30 am is snacktime, comes with lots of cuddles
-after snack we play rough house for a while, then he goes off to
play by himself some more, or we read a book if he's tired
-12 noon is lunchbreak, which in total takes about an hour then
some relaxation, like reading or building with blocks
together
-1.30 pm naptime for about 2-2.5 hours
-4.30 pm another snack and plenty of energy to run around the
living room some more. When he gets bored with his own
toys, we draw pictures or play the piano.
-6 pm dinner
-7 pm after dinner he prefers to play with either one of us rather
than be alone. We play the piano, with lego, sorting blocks,
balloons, or read books
-8pm time for bed ritual, sleeps around 8.30pm.

Favourite toys at the moment: an empty peanutbutter jar with lid,
anything with wheels, lego duplo, a balloon and his shape sorting car
(more to run with than to sort blocks). And he loves books too.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (16m)

Old December 3rd 03, 11:23 AM
Cheryl

wrote:

i'm wondering what activities you do/did with your 15 month old during the
day, especially for a very active/busy toddler. can you outline a typical
day when you are at home for most of the day?

I don't have an active or busy toddler even though she is the same age
as your son. Our day goes:
7am wake up and nurse
7.15 mum tries to sleep while baby girl hits mum or dad in the head
and then turns on Seven Sunrise
7.30 dad finally gives up and has a shower while mum tries to keep
baby on the bed
7.40 dad takes baby downstairs for breakfast with her brothers while
mum has a shower.
7.50-8.40am baby plays around and gets annoyed at older brothers while
they get ready for daycare/preschool
8.40am someone realises we are running late, #1 goes to preschool and
#2 tags along for the ride, baby plays on floor or follows mum around
while complaining about not being picked up
9-ish am till 11-ish am - doing stuff outside the house
(shopping/playground/visit neighbours, etc)
11 or 11.30-ish fall asleep wherever we are
1-2pm wake up and have lunch, probably nurse because she forgot to do
it before she fell asleep.
rest of afternoon - play with (aka annoy) brothers until dinner time,
ask to nurse on and off through boredom/tiredness/being upset for some
other reason
5-5.30 pm dinner time.
6pm bath time
6.30pm bed time

--
Cheryl
Mum to DS#1 (11 Mar 99), DS#2 (4 Oct 00)
Old December 3rd 03, 04:01 PM
Elizabeth Reid

"elizabeth emerald" wrote in message ...
i'm wondering what activities you do/did with your 15 month old during the
day, especially for a very active/busy toddler. can you outline a typical
day when you are at home for most of the day?

My son is also 15 months old. He goes to day care, so to some extent
we've patterned our days off after day care so that his
schedule isn't jerked around too much, but roughly:

6AM - wake up (bleah). Have bottle, read books.
7AM - breakfast
7-9AM - play with toys, read books, take stuff out of cabinets. This
is one of the periods when I typically ignore him as much as
he'll let me so I can log on and eat something. Sometimes I
give him something fun and messy to play with like a bowl of
flour, since it's still early in the day and he usually doesn't
have his outdoor clothes on yet.
9AM - snack, this is when they have snack at day care.
9-11AM - go out. Sometimes this means go out in the yard, often
we go to a park, or shopping. He's getting difficult about
being in a cart for too long, so if I shop I make very sure
to build in time to run around.
11-12 home, lunch. After lunch, NAP blessed NAP! :-) until about
1:30-3.
2-3 read more books, play in the house (maybe draw with markers,
throw small light balls, I clean up and he helps), have a
second snack.
3-5 usually we go outside again, typically just our yard, sometimes
we visit the neighbor's dogs. If DH is home we may all go
out together somewhere.
~5 bottle. After this we mostly do indoor play, which may
involve chasing each other around the house, blowing bubbles,
etc. I also ignore him for some of this period so I can
cook dinner.

between 8 and bedtime the schedule varies, but dinner, bath,
books, and playtime with Daddy usually figure heavily. He's almost
alway asleep by 8.

So we don't really do that many 'activities', we just kind of
bop around. Now, this is easier because he's in day care at least
four days a week, so he doesn't get bored. I'd like to start doing
some dancing with him, as exercise for both of us, and one of his
Christmas presents is going to be an outdoor climber since he's a
little mountain goat. We go out a lot, more than I'd like in a way,
but I find that frequent changes of scene keep him entertained.

Beth