Nappies

Old June 26th 05, 06:26 PM

Default Nappies

Hi,

This is slightly off topic, but there must be a few Mothers in here.

My wife wants to use reuseable nappies, I would be grateful to hear of your
experiences with nappies, we do not know what one needs to consider when
investing in such nappies, what is required to implement reuseable nappies,
how long one nappy will last, how many should be bought, does one size fit
all and fit the child until she learns to use the toilet etc.

(We are in the UK and expecting a girl on the 12th September 2005).

Thank you

Old June 26th 05, 06:36 PM
Anne Rogers

My wife wants to use reuseable nappies, I would be grateful to hear of
your
experiences with nappies, we do not know what one needs to consider when
investing in such nappies, what is required to implement reuseable
nappies,
how long one nappy will last, how many should be bought, does one size fit
all and fit the child until she learns to use the toilet etc.

(We are in the UK and expecting a girl on the 12th September 2005).

there is a yahoo group for real nappy users in the UK, not sure of it's
name, but you should be able to find it by searching yahoo groups, also you
could ask on the newsgroup uk.people.parents

Anne

Old June 26th 05, 07:10 PM
Ericka Kammerer

z wrote:

Hi,

This is slightly off topic, but there must be a few Mothers in here.

My wife wants to use reuseable nappies, I would be grateful to hear of your
experiences with nappies, we do not know what one needs to consider when
investing in such nappies, what is required to implement reuseable nappies,
how long one nappy will last, how many should be bought, does one size fit
all and fit the child until she learns to use the toilet etc.

It depends on what types of diapers you want to go with.
The most basic would be prefolds with diaper covers (they come
in nylon or cotton or wool or fleece, with snaps or velcro).
With those, there's usually just one main size for the diaper,
with maybe a newborn size that you can use if you don't want to
just fold it smaller for a tiny baby, but you buy covers in
different sizes as your baby gets bigger, and maybe you add
doublers (rectangular pads of fabric to add extra absorbency
for overnight or older kids without adding a lot of bulk).
With the all-in-ones (diaper and cover combined), you have
to changes sizes as the child grows.
We've used both cloth and disposables. When we used
cloth, we used about three dozen diapers and about 4-6 covers
in each size and we washed diapers every few days. Longer
than that and the diaper pail got too heavy anyway, so more
diapers wouldn't have been useful to me.
Supplies are pretty minimal--diapers, covers, a diaper
pail. You can add liners if you like (I used flushable
liners when they were older because it was more convenient
to just drop the liner with any solids into the toilet), but
they're not necessary. I also used some doublers for overnight
when they were older.
Personally, I found it a cheap and easy solution for
diapering (we washed our own). It got more annoying when we
moved into a house where the layout of the house wasn't as
conducive (too many stairs between changing areas and laundry
facilities ;-) but that certainly wouldn't have been an
insurmountable barrier.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 26th 05, 07:34 PM
Iuil

"Anne Rogers" wrote

there is a yahoo group for real nappy users in the UK, not sure of it's
name, but you should be able to find it by searching yahoo groups, also

you
could ask on the newsgroup uk.people.parents

HTH

Jean

--
DD - June '02
DS - May '05

Old June 26th 05, 07:48 PM
Anne Rogers

It depends on what types of diapers you want to go with.
The most basic would be prefolds with diaper covers (they come
in nylon or cotton or wool or fleece, with snaps or velcro).

surely the most basic is terry squares, I've heard good stuff about
prefolds, but I couldn't decide which to get, so I went with terry squares,
takes fractional extra time folding them in quarters when they are clean and
a tiny amount of time to fold them before putting them on, they are also
really cheap!

Anne

Old June 26th 05, 08:29 PM
Mogget

In message , z
writes
Hi,

This is slightly off topic, but there must be a few Mothers in here.

My wife wants to use reuseable nappies, I would be grateful to hear of your
experiences with nappies, we do not know what one needs to consider when
investing in such nappies, what is required to implement reuseable nappies,
how long one nappy will last, how many should be bought, does one size fit
all and fit the child until she learns to use the toilet etc.

I tried out lots of types and my hands-down favourite is fuzzi bunz.
It's a stuffable pocket nappy and it comes out of the washing machine
practically dry, needs a couple of hours on a clothes horse, then it's
good to go.

You will need to buy several sizes as the baby grows. Not too sure how
many you will need at any given time, maybe eight. But if you use cloth
nappies just sometimes, like when you're at home, and disposable nappies
when you're out, you're still saving money & helping the environment ect
ect ect.

There's a good market in second-hand nappies. Expect to pay something
like half or two-thirds of the brand new price. And then you can sell
them on when you're finished. Try ebay.

It's really not hard to use cloth nappies as long as you have a washing
machine.
--
Mogget
Old June 26th 05, 08:44 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:

It depends on what types of diapers you want to go with.
The most basic would be prefolds with diaper covers (they come
in nylon or cotton or wool or fleece, with snaps or velcro).

surely the most basic is terry squares, I've heard good stuff about
prefolds, but I couldn't decide which to get, so I went with terry squares,
takes fractional extra time folding them in quarters when they are clean and
a tiny amount of time to fold them before putting them on, they are also
really cheap!

Sorry--you're certainly correct. I don't think I even
ran across those while shopping, the prefolds seem to be so
nearly universal ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 26th 05, 10:11 PM
Welches

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Anne Rogers wrote:

It depends on what types of diapers you want to go with.
The most basic would be prefolds with diaper covers (they come
in nylon or cotton or wool or fleece, with snaps or velcro).

surely the most basic is terry squares, I've heard good stuff about
prefolds, but I couldn't decide which to get, so I went with terry
squares, takes fractional extra time folding them in quarters when they
are clean and a tiny amount of time to fold them before putting them on,
they are also really cheap!

Sorry--you're certainly correct. I don't think I even
ran across those while shopping, the prefolds seem to be so
nearly universal ;-)

That's interesting. On the high street in Uk it's easier to get the terry
nappies than prefolds!
Debbie

Old June 26th 05, 10:54 PM

Hi and thank you for your posts everyone.

It seems like terry nappies are the ones we will want to use. If so, it
would be necessary to buy the covers for this type of nappy? and if
considered necessary liners (booties) could be used with this type of nappy.

BTW are the liners absolutely necessary?

Thanks you again, I shall be looking at that yahoo group tomorrow when I get
home from work.

Regards,

Old June 26th 05, 10:56 PM
larissa

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 19:48:17 +0100, Anne Rogers wrote:

It depends on what types of diapers you want to go with.
The most basic would be prefolds with diaper covers (they come
in nylon or cotton or wool or fleece, with snaps or velcro).

surely the most basic is terry squares, I've heard good stuff about
prefolds, but I couldn't decide which to get, so I went with terry squares,
takes fractional extra time folding them in quarters when they are clean and
a tiny amount of time to fold them before putting them on, they are also
really cheap!

Anne

Here in Australia the terry squares are the most universal. It is one
size fits all, you just change you way you fold them. I have used them
without issue, on and off. I use something called a snappy, (sp?) a small
three-way clasp thing that holds them on, you do not need to use pins.
Once on, cover with plastic or plastic lined pilchers/covers.

The only downside I found was when the baby slept through the night (at
about 12 months) and I no longer changed them at night the cloth nappies
couldn't hold all the moisture.

Good luck and congratulations.

Larissa

Larissa