prenatal classes

Old December 9th 05, 12:14 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default prenatal classes

Hi all,
I was just wondering howmany of you have attended prenatal classes? My doctor is insisting that we attend prenatal classes so that we can be prepared but I am just wondering how neccessary these classes are. Frankly, I am afraid that the videos that they show in these classes may send me into full panick mode.
If you did not have prenatal classes were you fully prepared for labor what to do etc... and if you did go to prenatal classes did you feel you were better prepared?
Old December 9th 05, 01:17 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 19:14:00 -0500, "MJMR"
wrote:

Hi all,
I was just wondering howmany of you have attended prenatal classes? My doctor is insisting that we attend prenatal classes so that we can be prepared but I am just wondering how neccessary these classes are. Frankly, I am afraid that the videos that they show in these classes may send me into full panick mode.
If you did not have prenatal classes were you fully prepared for labor what to do etc... and if you did go to prenatal classes did you feel you were better prepared?

With my first, we attended prenatal and lamaze classes. I still felt
completely unprepared, but I was also just 20 at the time and didn't
have access to information like we do now.

With #2 I didn't feel the need to take any class since I'd been
through it all before, but ended up with a c-section and wished I'd
done some research beforehand.

With #3 We did take a brush up class since I was attempting a VBAC and
wanted information on the hospital policies, mainly.

In a nutshell, I think the classes are helpful, but if you have the
time and resources, you can do quite a bit of research on your own.
I think it's more of a comfort level thing.

Nan
Old December 9th 05, 01:22 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

We went to prenatal classes as this is our first child. We also went to
breast feeding class. This Prenatal class included a hospital visit etc and
a LOT of info. Some of it I would normally consider TMI but I am about to go
through it all so I should know. I would recommend them although I don't
think anything will prepare us for the labour OR the child itself LOL

--
..oO rach Oo.

Old December 9th 05, 01:40 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

MJMR writes:
: Hi all,
: I was just wondering howmany of you have attended prenatal classes? My doctor is insisting that we attend prenatal classes so that we can be prepared but I am just wondering how neccessary these classes are. Frankly, I am afraid that the videos that they show in these classes may send me into full panick mode.
: If you did not have prenatal classes were you fully prepared for labor what to do etc... and if you did go to prenatal classes did you feel you were better prepared?

Well, we had a homebirth but....

I think the prenatal classes are not so much to inform you as to
indoctrinate you to hospital rotine to make you a "good patient."

Larry
Old December 9th 05, 03:22 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

MJMR wrote:
Hi all,
I was just wondering howmany of you have attended prenatal classes? My doctor is insisting that we attend prenatal classes so that we can be prepared but I am just wondering how neccessary these classes are. Frankly, I am afraid that the videos that they show in these classes may send me into full panick mode.
If you did not have prenatal classes were you fully prepared for labor what to do etc... and if you did go to prenatal classes did you feel you were better prepared?

We did not take any prenatal classes. Basically I just read this group
and attended an info session at my hospital (they had a panel with
midwife, family doctor, OB, anest., a couple of LD nurses to answer
questions).

I didn't feel like we missed out on anything. If you are planning a
conventional hospital birth it is good to know where to go, what the
stages of labour are, what the standards of care are at your facility
etc but nothing you can't get out of friends, a book, or the internet
-- the hospital probably also has a website. Nothing can prepare you
for childbirth, it is such a unique experience. If you were planning to
go drug-free I would suggest some kind of training, but your run of the
milll prenatal classes wouldn't do much for that anyway.

Elle

Old December 9th 05, 03:37 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I have yet to have the baby but thought I'd chime in too. My midwife
recommended I take hypnobirthing classes to prepare for the home birth.
Hypno birthing is a method of pain management (not really hypnosis,
from what I'm told by people who've done it). She said regular
hospital classes will instruct you on the process/routine at the
hospital, but wouldn't be useful otherwise.

I was also told by a friend that breastfeeding classes are invaluable.

Old December 9th 05, 03:47 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

MJMR wrote:
Hi all,
I was just wondering howmany of you have attended prenatal classes?
My doctor is *insisting* that we attend prenatal classes so that we can
be prepared but I am just wondering how neccessary these classes are.
Frankly, I am afraid that the videos that they show in these classes may
send me into full panick mode.
If you did not have prenatal classes were you fully prepared for
labor what to do etc... and if you did go to prenatal classes did you
feel you were better prepared?

It depends on what you do in lieu of taking classes
(not to mention how good the classes are). Some classes
are next to useless, and you can certainly do a good job
of preparing on your own if you want to. I would not,
however, recommend the "ignorance is bliss" strategy
(not that you said you were planning to do that ;-) ).

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old December 9th 05, 10:32 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

wrote in message
I think the prenatal classes are not so much to inform you as to
indoctrinate you to hospital rotine to make you a "good patient."

I'm not sure how my prenatal class indocrinated me into a good patient by
explaining all the drugs that are sometimes used and explained each of the
side effects baby and mom would/could have. That little section of the class
made it more clear in my head that I wanted to do the births drug free (it
totally freaked me out). They taught relaxation manuevers and focusing on
your body and how to breath to relax oneself. They explained the stages of
labor. She explained the dilation and stations of the cervix. There was no
mention of hospital policies or what they expected the patients to do. As
always, YMMV.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 9th 05, 11:25 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"MJMR" wrote in message .. .
Hi all,
I was just wondering howmany of you have attended prenatal classes? My doctor is insisting that we attend prenatal classes so that we can be prepared but I am just wondering how neccessary these classes are. Frankly, I am afraid that the videos that they show in these classes may send me into full panick mode.
If you did not have prenatal classes were you fully prepared for labor what to do etc... and if you did go to prenatal classes did you feel you were better prepared?

I know that they do like first time Mum and Dads to attend the classes and I would certainly recommend them. I didnt have to attend this time round as this is my 3rd pregnany, well 4th but 3rd time this long into pregnancy. However I am now panicing thinking, OMG prehaps I should have gone for a refresher and to find out whats available to me on the actual day as its a new hospital I am attending. The vidios can be a little frightening at times but it also helps prepare you. I tend to watch desperate midwifes alot on ITV3 (UK CHANNEL) because that has refreshed me quite a lot and gave me the confidence to know that I can and will get through labour, even though it is annoying because it just seems to be the same one every week. I strongly recommend them,
Old December 9th 05, 02:59 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Well, as someone who teaches these classes I am a bit biased :-) but
I'll tell you a secret, I never took them myself. We couldn't afford
them when #1 was coming so I read everything I could get my hands on
and did the best I could on my own. I did OK but I wish I had been able
to take some *good* CBE.
There is a definite difference in quality of CBE. You have good
informative classes that really help you understand what is happening
to your body during pregnancy, labor and birth and how to cope with it
both non-medically and medically. Different (and unexected outcomes)
etc....postpartum emotional and physical changes etc...a good class
should be a minimum of 5 sessions of 2 hours each. An important side
benefit to classes is meeting other parents that will have babies the
same age as yours.
and then you have what I call "how to be a good patient" classes which
basically tell you what they *will* do to you and your baby at the
hospital. This *will* happen than that will happen and you will do this
and do that. blah, blah, blah.... These are a complete and utter waste
of time unless that is really what you are looking for, what to expect
if you don't ask a single question or want to personalize your birth
experience in any way.

Your baby will be born whether or not you take classes:-) but they can
really help alleviate some fear of the unknown.
P.S. I always give parents the option of not watching the videos and
warn them when they are coming up. And the video's CBE's show are
usually not nearly as 'bad' as parents think they will be.