Dental work & bresatfeeding

Old September 18th 06, 11:58 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
KR

Default Dental work & bresatfeeding

I have to get a cavity replaced next week, I am exclusively
breastfeeding my 4 month old. Is it okay or should I wait??

KR

Old September 19th 06, 01:14 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PK

KR wrote:
I have to get a cavity replaced next week, I am exclusively
breastfeeding my 4 month old. Is it okay or should I wait??

KR

It depends on what you are given for numbing the tooth and for pain
relief afterwards. Make sure you tell your dentist that you are
breastfeeding, and ask him/her to prescibe painkillers that will not
affect b/f.
FYI - I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out when my daughter was about 3
months old - also exclusively breastfed. I was numbed with novocaine,
and prescribed vicodin for pain relief. I chose not to use the vicodin,
but went with Tylenol instead (which, let me tell you right now, is a
cr@ppy pain killer for that kind of major pain ! YMMV of course)

I hope it turns out OK.

PK

Old September 19th 06, 01:50 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
MareCat

"PK" wrote in message
ups.com...

FYI - I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out when my daughter was about 3
months old - also exclusively breastfed. I was numbed with novocaine,
and prescribed vicodin for pain relief. I chose not to use the vicodin,
but went with Tylenol instead (which, let me tell you right now, is a
cr@ppy pain killer for that kind of major pain ! YMMV of course)

Why did you choose not to use the Vicodin, especially if you were in that
much pain? Just curious.

Mary

Old September 19th 06, 04:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
FlowerGirl

"PK" wrote in message
ups.com...

KR wrote:
I have to get a cavity replaced next week, I am exclusively
breastfeeding my 4 month old. Is it okay or should I wait??

KR

It depends on what you are given for numbing the tooth and for pain
relief afterwards. Make sure you tell your dentist that you are
breastfeeding, and ask him/her to prescibe painkillers that will not
affect b/f.
FYI - I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out when my daughter was about 3
months old - also exclusively breastfed. I was numbed with novocaine,
and prescribed vicodin for pain relief. I chose not to use the vicodin,
but went with Tylenol instead (which, let me tell you right now, is a
cr@ppy pain killer for that kind of major pain ! YMMV of course)

I hope it turns out OK.

PK

Ah you're a braver woman than me ... I'm supposed to have my wisdom teeth
out but have been playing the pregnant / breastfeeding excuse to the dentist
for almost 5 years now. I just can't imagine having to deal with that sort
of pain whilst chasing little kids around .... so maybe I'll wait until they
are both in school, ...or high school ... or uni.....

Amanda

Old September 19th 06, 05:17 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Marie

"MareCat" wrote in message
. ..
Why did you choose not to use the Vicodin, especially if you were in that
much pain? Just curious.

I was prescribed Vicodin after a surgical tooth extraction, and it did not
help with the pain but instead made me so sleepy that I was miserable,
because I could not fall asleep with the pain. Ibuprofen worked really well
though.
Marie

Old September 19th 06, 02:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Ah you're a braver woman than me ... I'm supposed to have my wisdom teeth
out but have been playing the pregnant / breastfeeding excuse to the
dentist
for almost 5 years now. I just can't imagine having to deal with that
sort
of pain whilst chasing little kids around .... so maybe I'll wait until
they
are both in school, ...or high school ... or uni.....

though to be fair if you've been fine to wait 5 years, how true was the
original statement? My dentist said I needed my top pair out, they had not
fully erupted and were difficult to clean, so had got decayed, they hadn't
caused any pain problems at that stage, but when I saw them after they came
out, it was clear it wouldn't have been long before they did. In the end, I
had them done at the same time as the bottom two, which were impacted, which
were painful, yes, the op was very painful afterwards, I was pregnant and
breastfeeding at the time, but a week of bad pain was far better than months
or years of infections, pain and difficulty eating.

Cheers

Anne

Old September 19th 06, 04:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

KR wrote:
I have to get a cavity replaced next week, I am exclusively
breastfeeding my 4 month old. Is it okay or should I wait??

KR

It's absolutely fine. Unless you are of the dental phobic breed that
requires extensive anesthesia for a filling, you will only have
novacaine (or some relative thereof). Local anesthetics are 100%
compatible with breastfeeding.

(And even if, for some reason, you might need something to use
afterwards, stuff like Vicodin and Tylenol 3 is also compatable.)

Naomi

(Who just got a filling replaced last week and is having a wisdom tooth
pulled on Thursday. The dentist assures me that I'll be fine on
Friday.)

Old September 20th 06, 05:49 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

KR wrote:

I have to get a cavity replaced next week, I am exclusively
breastfeeding my 4 month old. Is it okay or should I wait??

Totally fine.

-- Anita --
Old September 20th 06, 05:50 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

PK wrote:
FYI - I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out when my daughter was about 3
months old - also exclusively breastfed. I was numbed with novocaine,
and prescribed vicodin for pain relief. I chose not to use the vicodin,
but went with Tylenol instead (which, let me tell you right now, is a
cr@ppy pain killer for that kind of major pain ! YMMV of course)

Why not Vicodin? That's what I got in the hospital
after the c-section, every 4 hours. I was nursing
Rocky the entire time.

-- Anita --
Old September 20th 06, 09:36 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sirah

KR wrote:
I have to get a cavity replaced next week, I am exclusively
breastfeeding my 4 month old. Is it okay or should I wait??

Dear KR,

I suggest you make sure to avoid silver fillings (mercury amalgam
variety) and get either gold or dental ceramic since dental amalgam is
very toxic when it's removed (or being replaced because of renewed
cavities). If you are having your crowns, prior filling or an old cap
being worked on make sure to megga-dose with a vitamin C pill that uses
rosehips &/or citrus bioflavanoids to help detox the materials that the
dentist may use.
good luck & god bless but make sure to avoid letting anyone try to
convince you that silver amalgam fillings are non-toxic and not
dangerous to long-term health...

Sirah Morghan