No weight gain in 9 mos old

Old March 25th 04, 11:44 PM
Leigh McCuen

Default No weight gain in 9 mos old

At her 6 mos apptmnt, my daughter weighed in at 18lbs, 2oz. At her 9 mos
apptmnt, she weighed in at 18lbs, 3 oz.

The ped's suggesting I supplement her with a sippy cup of formula/day.

I'm concerned that there wasn't just a slowing of weight gain, but a
complete stop. Now, my daughter has been sick over the past 3 months,
but I don't think that's explanation enough. She still nurses a lot,
including every 1.5 - 2 hours through the night. (My ped. suggests that
could be because she's just not getting enough milk from me anymore.) We
nurse one side at a time. Rarely does my daughter fuss after finishing
on one side. When she does, I flip her to the other side and we're fine.
We're still getting good wet & dirty diapers, I'm not at all worried
about dehydration.

My child has become very active. If she's not moving, she's not happy.
She wakes herself up at night because she's crawling & standing in her
sleep. She's not shy about crawling over to me and having a sip or two
and then going back to play.

She eats everything we put in front of her, but small amounts. I don't
think she's ever eaten more than 6 ounces of table/babyfood total in a
day. She still only drinks 4 ounce bottles at daycare. Every time I
think of increasing it to 5 ounces, she has a week where she'll leave an
ounce or two in every bottle.

Any suggestions on what I can do to make sure she has all the food she
needs? Does the collective brain here see any benefit to giving her some
formula?

I'm to go back in 2 weeks for a weight check. If she hasn't gained
weight, the ped's going to want to do some testing to make sure there
isn't some other problem going on. So I'm hoping for the weight gain.

Thanks for any advice.
Leigh

Old March 25th 04, 11:57 PM
Laura Faussone

Leigh McCuen wrote:

At her 6 mos apptmnt, my daughter weighed in at 18lbs, 2oz. At her 9 mos
apptmnt, she weighed in at 18lbs, 3 oz.

The ped's suggesting I supplement her with a sippy cup of formula/day.

I don't have any answers for you -- I'm in the same situation. We've
already had a weight check with still no weight gain. At the next weight
check, the dr will probably insist on adding high calorie formula to his
diet :-(

I hope others will have some solutions.

Laura

Old March 25th 04, 11:58 PM
Dagny

"Leigh McCuen" wrote in message
At her 6 mos apptmnt, my daughter weighed in at 18lbs, 2oz. At her 9 mos
apptmnt, she weighed in at 18lbs, 3 oz.

How about height change? Head? If she's growing in these ways normally, I'm
not sure I understand why weight would be an issue.

-- Dagny

Old March 26th 04, 12:41 AM
nina

Thanks! I think she's going to be like her father's family, 5 feet tall but
with hair to her rump. its gonna be funny, because my other daughter takes
after my mothers family and will probably be 6 feet tall.

Old March 26th 04, 01:01 AM
HollyLewis

At her 6 mos apptmnt, my daughter weighed in at 18lbs, 2oz. At her 9 mos
apptmnt, she weighed in at 18lbs, 3 oz.

The ped's suggesting I supplement her with a sippy cup of formula/day.

Okay, let's summarize what you've said about your baby in the last few months:

-She's been ill.
-She's not only learned to crawl, she is now constantly in motion.
-She has not *lost* any weight.
-She appears to be developing normally, is generally happy and is not
dehydrated.
-She eats a good variety of foods, though not a large quantity. You are not
restricting her nursing or her solid foods.

The only other piece of information that would be nice to have is whether and
by how much she has grown in length. Sometimes growth in one dimension slows
while the other spurts. :-)

But anyway, it doesn't sound to *me* as if there's anything at all wrong, nor
that there is any reason in the world to give her formula. (She certainly
isn't likely to accept the formula in *addition* to what she consumes now, and
it would be beyond stupid to *replace* any of the breastmilk she's taking with
and equivalent amount of formula.)

At least for purposes of your weight check in a couple weeks, you could focus
on feeding her more calorie-dense and/or higher-fat foods for a while. If
she's been getting a lot of, say, applesauce and Cheerios, try offering more
avocado, full-fat yogurt, and muffins.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old March 26th 04, 01:24 AM
nina

ok, how did i manage that
replied to the wrong post

Old March 26th 04, 02:56 AM
Karen

I think what Holly said is right on target. We experienced a similar
situation with ds, the doctor was getting all worked up, we were getting
worried and defensive, etc. They kept bringing us in for weight checks,
in which they were indeed only checking his weight, turned out ds grew
something like four inches in six months, so of course he wasn't gaining
weight, but neither was he losing any. Our general obsevation is that he
has always done one thing at a time, height, then weight, then a huge
developmental spurt of some sort.

I did see on further study though that ds diet at the time was too low
in fats and too high in whole grains (fill the tiny tummy easily), and
made some adjustments.

This past year has followed the similar pattern, from about 3-3 1/2 ds
had a huge developmental push towards independence, has recently been
growing out of any pair of pants I can find, but his weight has been
stable. His torso is trim, but his upper arms and thighs are still
baby-pudgy.

-Karen, mom to Henry 3 3/4 and someone due 4/24/04-

Old March 26th 04, 03:23 AM
Dagny

"Karen" wrote in message
k.net...
I think what Holly said is right on target. We experienced a similar
situation with ds, the doctor was getting all worked up, we were getting
worried and defensive, etc. They kept bringing us in for weight checks ...

I just was struck by how funny it sounds to me tonight "kept bringing us
in." I'm visualizing a ped. showing up at your door and waving your entire
family into his van.

I'm glad I dropped WBVs. It was fun to show her off a couple of times but
then I was done. Kid looks healthy? Doing new stuff, bright eyes? OK
fine.

I'm very tired and should have been in bed an hour ago.

-- Dagny

Old March 26th 04, 05:15 AM
Tina

Leigh McCuen wrote in message ...

Both of my daughters had very similar weight issues. One ended up
having additional problems, but for one, it was just her normal growth
pattern. I refused to give formula to the one who had no documented
health problems, and the one who was 'sick' got a prescription formula
after she'd turned one.

I'd increase the nursing as much as you can. At one point, I was
given the recommendation to double the times I offered to nurse my
daughter, and it did make her gain weight, even though it was only a
few ounces.

Is your child still on the growth charts? Check head circumference
and height growth, too. You mentioned s/he'd (sorry, I can't remember
right now) been sick? What kind of sick? If it was gastrointestinal,
I'd worry even less. If it was respiratory, I'd really try to
increasae the weight before that next checkup, even by a couple of
ounces. If you can do that, it will rule out a lot of stuff, and
hopefully prevent some semi-invasive testing.

My daughter with the health issues ended up gaining (while on the
high-cal Rx supplement) something like 4 ounces in several months, and
the Dr.s thought that was *great*!

Good luck!

Tina.
Old March 26th 04, 05:35 AM
Karen

I just was struck by how funny it sounds to me tonight "kept bringing us
in." I'm visualizing a ped. showing up at your door and waving your entire
family into his van.

I'm glad I dropped WBVs. It was fun to show her off a couple of times but
then I was done. Kid looks healthy? Doing new stuff, bright eyes? OK
fine.

I agree, generally we don't let doctors push us around too much. But in
this situation, she was aware we were bf beyond the parameters of
mainstream patients, that we delayed starting solids, that we were
vegetarian, and that we were selective/delayed vax on top of all that.
We had already decided that the visit where the concern about his lack
of weight gain came up was going to be his last there and we were going
to switch to a new doctor. But we didn't want it to look like we were
running away from a doctor like we had something to hide about ds'
upbringing, so we stuck with them for a few more months until it was all
sorted and everyone was happy, then we switched to a new doctor, who
we've hardly ever seen.

-K-

Weight Gain Question Mickee General 4 May 6th 04 10:02 PM
No weight gain for toddler Karen Breastfeeding 3 February 7th 04 12:56 AM
Question about weight gain kylee General 10 December 23rd 03 08:21 PM
Losing weight during first trimester.... Jill Pregnancy 55 December 10th 03 11:51 PM
Weight gain Kereru Pregnancy 8 July 29th 03 06:51 AM