vegetarian kids - help

Old February 27th 04, 05:18 PM
Kari

Default vegetarian kids - help

I have a 4 yr old who absolutely refuses to eat meat. The problem I'm having
is, he wont eat much of anything these days. He's already significantly
under the normal growth curve for weight but he's become a little activist
agasint eating animals.

I am hoping someone who also practices vegetarianism can point me in the
right direction to find some good kid friendly recipes to help me out. And
some dietary guidelines as well if at all possible. I've been searching
online all morning and haven't come up with much that he would enjoy. He
likes white rice (plain). He hates legumes. He does eat eggs (with much
prodding that it's ok to eat eggs) cheese and milk. He hates peanut butter.
He wont eat soy meat products either. He can't understand the concept of
"fake meat" I guess.

FWIW, I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian on and off for the last 10 years with a
vegan "spurt" in there too. My sister and her boyfriend are vegan and I
think they may have had a part in his sudden disgust in animal products. She
gave him animal rights stickers, etc.

Yesterday he was eating bologna and stopped, asked me "is this a pig?" and
when I told him yes, he threw it out and said "im not eating a pig, that's
too sad"

Personally, I will never and have never eaten lamb nor veal for ethical
reasons so I can kind of relate. And we dont eat red meat so it shouldn't be
too difficult to cut out the little chicken we eat. Of course, I can always
continue to serve it to my other child and husband but I dont want to have
to make 2 meals every single night and Im not about to force my child to eat
something he's clearly against.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Kari
mom to Kaylie (8) Noah (4) and Xander (4 mos)

Old February 27th 04, 05:27 PM
Denise Anderson

"Kari" wrote in message
[...]

Will he eat vegetables? My oldest doesn't like meat unless its chicken or
turkey and sometimes clams. We see a nutritionist because she's so skinny,
and they've recommended some sort of protein powder in shakes for her since
she refuses to eat green leafy vegetables.

Denise

Old February 27th 04, 05:39 PM
Kari

Will he eat vegetables? My oldest doesn't like meat unless its chicken or
turkey and sometimes clams. We see a nutritionist because she's so

skinny,
and they've recommended some sort of protein powder in shakes for her

since
she refuses to eat green leafy vegetables.

Denise

Hi Denise and thanks for replying. Yes he likes salads, broccoli,
asparagus, sweet potatoes, carrots (with dip) I think that about covers it

I never thought of protein shakes! Great idea!

Kari

Old February 27th 04, 09:46 PM
toto

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:18:05 GMT, "Kari"
wrote:

I have a 4 yr old who absolutely refuses to eat meat. The problem I'm having
is, he wont eat much of anything these days. He's already significantly
under the normal growth curve for weight but he's become a little activist
agasint eating animals.

Try here

http://veggietable.allinfo-about.com...ipes-kids.html

and

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/food/fruit...177910,00.html

and

http://allsands.com/Kids/Health/vege...eci_vrv_gn.htm

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old February 29th 04, 04:13 AM
Nevermind

"Kari" wrote in message . ..
I have a 4 yr old who absolutely refuses to eat meat. The problem I'm having
is, he wont eat much of anything these days. He's already significantly
under the normal growth curve for weight but he's become a little activist
agasint eating animals.

Good for him!

I am hoping someone who also practices vegetarianism can point me in the
right direction to find some good kid friendly recipes to help me out. And
some dietary guidelines as well if at all possible. I've been searching
online all morning and haven't come up with much that he would enjoy. He
likes white rice (plain). He hates legumes. He does eat eggs (with much
prodding that it's ok to eat eggs) cheese and milk. He hates peanut butter.
He wont eat soy meat products either. He can't understand the concept of
"fake meat" I guess.

Why is he under the growth curve for weight? Is he also small?

Eating vegetarian is perfectly healthy, so I would not think this
should effect his weight either way, as long as he's still eating
dairy (and eggs will help) and is willing to take in fruits and
veggies. Make sure he's getting plenty of fats. Will he eat whole
wheat bread? Give him a multivitamin, too, so you feel safer. My two
oldest were 3 and 6 when we stopped eating vegetarian, and I really
never gave it much thought. It's when you cut out the dairy that you
need to worry about supplementing. I just made sure they got a varied
diet, as much as is possible with little kids, who tend to be picky
eaters. However, if his weight is an issue, you may need to do some
sort of specialty supplementing, whether or not he eats vegetarian.
Old February 29th 04, 04:54 PM
thumper

My picky 3yo DS *loves* cold tofu. With a little bit of soy sauce or not.
He even doesn't mind it with a bit of grated ginger although he balks at the
green onions :-) Anyway, he likes tofu but doesn't like the meat-oid
products. I cook it in stir fries, soups, etc. Sometimes just on the
grill, although that's not as big a hit.

Your son may also like some of the soy/bean/veggie burgers better when you
prepare them like a hamburger on a roll with condiments and cheese. There's
a lot of different flavors out there, some are good, some are just, well,
yucky! If he likes bologna, there are substitutes that IMO taste a lot like
it, although that might reek of fake meat. I can't blame him there! I feel
the same way about fake meat, but don't call it that.

Good luck,
Lisa

Old February 29th 04, 10:15 PM
Kari

"Nevermind" wrote in message
om...
"Kari" wrote in message

. ..
I have a 4 yr old who absolutely refuses to eat meat. The problem I'm

having
is, he wont eat much of anything these days. He's already significantly
under the normal growth curve for weight but he's become a little

activist
agasint eating animals.

Good for him!

I know I have to admit, I'm quite proud of him.

I am hoping someone who also practices vegetarianism can point me in the
right direction to find some good kid friendly recipes to help me out.

And
some dietary guidelines as well if at all possible. I've been searching
online all morning and haven't come up with much that he would enjoy. He
likes white rice (plain). He hates legumes. He does eat eggs (with much
prodding that it's ok to eat eggs) cheese and milk. He hates peanut

butter.
He wont eat soy meat products either. He can't understand the concept of
"fake meat" I guess.

Why is he under the growth curve for weight? Is he also small?

He's not short if that's what you mean. He's very very skinny. I have to
take in every pair of pants I buy for him, even if they are slim fit. He's
barely 35 lbs but he's 44 in tall. People tell me he just looks malnourished
and I absolutely *hate* that because then I feel like it's somehow my fault.
But yes, he's super skinny - the ribs that stick out kind of skinny

Eating vegetarian is perfectly healthy, so I would not think this
should effect his weight either way, as long as he's still eating
dairy (and eggs will help)

good

and is willing to take in fruits and
veggies.

yep

Make sure he's getting plenty of fats.

ok

Will he eat whole
wheat bread?

Yes, that's all I buy. It's actually called Spelt bread, wheat free with
flax, pumkin and sunflower seeds.

Give him a multivitamin, too, so you feel safer.

I always do, every day.

My two
oldest were 3 and 6 when we stopped eating vegetarian, and I really
never gave it much thought. It's when you cut out the dairy that you
need to worry about supplementing.

Ok, good. He loves his milk. I recently switched him back to whole milk
because the rest of us drink skim. It was the best move I could have made
and I dont know why I didnt do it sooner.

I just made sure they got a varied
diet, as much as is possible with little kids, who tend to be picky
eaters. However, if his weight is an issue, you may need to do some
sort of specialty supplementing, whether or not he eats vegetarian.

Im going to have to I think. Probably supplemental shakes or something of
that sort.

Thank you very much!!

Kari

Old February 29th 04, 10:17 PM
Kari

"thumper" wrote in message
My picky 3yo DS *loves* cold tofu. With a little bit of soy sauce or not.
He even doesn't mind it with a bit of grated ginger although he balks at

the
green onions :-) Anyway, he likes tofu but doesn't like the meat-oid
products. I cook it in stir fries, soups, etc. Sometimes just on the
grill, although that's not as big a hit.

Tofu is not a big hit so far. He does like tofutties (sp) the ice cream
bars. I love tofu actually, it's got great possiblities!!

Your son may also like some of the soy/bean/veggie burgers better when you
prepare them like a hamburger on a roll with condiments and cheese.

He does ok with those. Not great, not terrible. It depends on his mood.

Good luck,
Lisa

Thanks Lisa

Old February 29th 04, 10:18 PM
Kari

Try here

http://veggietable.allinfo-about.com...ipes-kids.html

and

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/food/fruit...177910,00.html

and

http://allsands.com/Kids/Health/vege...eci_vrv_gn.htm

--
Dorothy

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! All bookmarked and I'll go check them
out.

Kari

Old March 1st 04, 01:59 PM
enigma

"Kari" wrote in
:

Ok, good. He loves his milk. I recently switched him back
to whole milk because the rest of us drink skim. It was the
best move I could have made and I dont know why I didnt do
it sooner.

does he like yogurt? you might try giving him Stonyfield
Farms YoBaby or cream on top yogurt. YoBaby also comes as a
drink in banana & peach. thier new Moo-La-La line is also full
fat (my 3 year old recommends the double chocolate, raspberry
& cream and lemon souffle flavors. he prefers the strawberry
cream on top to the strawberries & cream Moo-La-La).
If you're on the left coast, i think Stonyfield may be sold
as Brown Cow. they bought Brown Cow last year anyway...
Boo also likes berry & ice cream smoothies. those are good to
hide supplements in if you have to...
it's better (heathier) for a child to be thin rather than
fat. with so many kids being overweight to obese, people are
likely to comment that a normally thin child looks
underweight. unless his doctor has worries about the weight,
don't listen to others opinions
lee

WSJ: How to Give Your Child A Longer Life Jean B. General 0 December 9th 03 06:10 PM
Kids should work !!! Kane General 57 December 3rd 03 06:17 AM
FWD bad judgement or abuse Trunk kids begged to ride Kane General 2 August 5th 03 05:54 PM
Article on kids and concerts Bill1255 General 6 July 21st 03 01:16 PM