29weeks and baby is already 4lb

Old September 26th 06, 02:48 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sheila

Default 29weeks and baby is already 4lb

My daughter is terrified! Well, she's having an elective c.section, DS was
transverse, as is this one, so they decided a while ago to go this way. (in
UK) they have decided to schedule it for the 4th of December, I am flying
down the day before, but I am really bothered that with baby being so large,
she might come early. Any thoughts?

Daughter had Gestational Diabetes with DS, now 4, and he was a podgy thing
when firstborn, but now like a peice of string!

Old September 26th 06, 03:37 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Sheila wrote:
My daughter is terrified! Well, she's having an elective c.section, DS was
transverse, as is this one, so they decided a while ago to go this way. (in
UK) they have decided to schedule it for the 4th of December, I am flying
down the day before, but I am really bothered that with baby being so large,
she might come early. Any thoughts?

Well, for one thing, late term estimates of size
by ultrasound can be quite inaccurate. Also, suspected
large baby is not an indication for elective c-section.
Unless she has her dates wrong, I wouldn't worry much
about the baby being early because of the size. It's
possible--but it's possible with any size baby.
Did she want to avoid the repeat c-section? If
so, why wouldn't they consider an external version to
fix the position? There's no guarantee it would work,
and there are situations that can make it inadvisable,
but barring those it can be quite effective. Although,
29 weeks is awfully early to "diagnose" a transverse
lie requiring a c-section. It's common for babies
to change position later in the game.
Also, while 4lbs is big, it's not even off
the charts in terms of size. If we assume that the
4lbs and 29 weeks is accurate (which is probably
optimistic), a baby at the same spot in the growth
curve at 40 weeks (also not a guarantee, as the
baby might well have just completed a bit of a growth
spurt, so this might be the "high water mark" percentile-
wise), then you'd only be talking about a 10lb baby.
That's big, but certainly not humongous or undeliverable.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old September 26th 06, 04:26 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sheila

she reckons she is due on the 17th of December, and her date is very
accurate, as her husband was on weekend leave from the navy..., hospital say
its the 9th, according to the dating scan, she want baby born as near her
due date as possible, as she desperately wants to BF, as she was unable last
time, so she thinks she is 28/5 weeks,hospital reckon 29/5. they have given
her 2 dates now, 2 weeks ago they said the 11th for the section, now they
have made it the 4th. She did have other med probs last time, cardio
related, but hopefully they are sorted now, (she had catheter ablation)
Hospital are happy for the section, she is happy to go along with that. They
have told her she must stay in hospital 5 days now, she was discharged after
2 last time to my disgust, no wonder she wasn't able to breast feed, she had
hardly any support.(rant over) how times have changed, when she was born,
29years ago, I was in a week with her, normal delivery, and she was 3 weeks
early, weighing in at 6lb 5oz and 10 days late with 1st! 7lb13

with 1st pg,, they made no attempt to change position, they just went ahead
with section.

Old November 15th 06, 01:00 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sheila

Default 29weeks and baby is already 4lb UPDATE

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
. ..
Sheila wrote:
[...]

Well, she had a sizing scan today, baby is 11lbs now, the head is under her
right rib, delivery date is 4th of December, and that's even 2 weeks before
her due date, I cant see them waiting till then, can you?

There is definitely no gestational diabetes this time, her urine has been
+++ most of the way through, but today it was only +. She has to take blood
samples 3 times a day, and go back to the hospital on Thursday, just for a
check up. She was also told she must count kicks, and if baby doesn't kick 4
times in each hour, she must go to hospital straight away. .She has swollen
ankles and fingers.she has only put on 1 stone.

Old November 15th 06, 03:15 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Sheila wrote:
[...]

Still take these things with a grain of salt. Late
term ultrasounds can be off by a pound or more.

the head is under her
right rib, delivery date is 4th of December, and that's even 2 weeks before
her due date, I cant see them waiting till then, can you?

Study after study after study shows little benefit
for induction due to suspected large baby, though the
evidence is less clear in cases with gestational diabetes.

There is definitely no gestational diabetes this time, her urine has been
+++ most of the way through, but today it was only +.

For sugars? Sugar in urine is not a very
accurate indicator of diabetes. Many women spill sugar and
don't have GD, and others have it and never spill sugar in
their urine. I'm not suggesting she doesn't have GD. I'm
just saying that sugar in her urine is not necessarily
a reliable indicator of whether she has it and how
serious it is.

She has to take blood
samples 3 times a day, and go back to the hospital on Thursday, just for a
check up. She was also told she must count kicks, and if baby doesn't kick 4
times in each hour, she must go to hospital straight away. .She has swollen
ankles and fingers.she has only put on 1 stone.

I certainly hope everything goes well for her.

Best wishes,
Ericka