Pregnant and cosleeping (xposted)

Old January 14th 04, 03:31 PM
ted

Default Pregnant and cosleeping (xposted)

My 10.5 month old starts every night sleeping in the crib. She wakes
up after an hour or so and wails until I come and pick her up, place
her in the bed next to me and both of us doze off. Since I'm newly
pregnant, I'm feeling sleepy by 8pm. This is working out fine (for
now!).

DD is not a happy sleeper. She wakes up several times sits up in the
bed, moves around, cries etc. Sometimes the only way to soothe her is
to place her on top of me and pat her to sleep. So nobody sleeps well.
I suspect all this cant be good when I progress into my pregnancy.

If you were cosleeping at what stage did you make the transition to
crib/another bed?

Thanks.
Old January 14th 04, 06:21 PM
Kat

"ted" wrote in message
om...
My 10.5 month old starts every night sleeping in the crib. She wakes
up after an hour or so and wails until I come and pick her up, place
her in the bed next to me and both of us doze off. Since I'm newly
pregnant, I'm feeling sleepy by 8pm. This is working out fine (for
now!).

DD is not a happy sleeper. She wakes up several times sits up in the
bed, moves around, cries etc. Sometimes the only way to soothe her is
to place her on top of me and pat her to sleep. So nobody sleeps well.
I suspect all this cant be good when I progress into my pregnancy.

If you were cosleeping at what stage did you make the transition to
crib/another bed?

Thanks.

My daughter was alot like yours but she was almost 18 months when I first
was pregnant. She and I just eventually figured out a way to co-sleep, she
now sleeps 2 feet away from me in her own twin (with a bed rail). It helped
her out when I got her Elmo sheets and comforter, so she was excited about
her bed. Good Luck!
kat
mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and #2 EDD 02/01/04

Old January 14th 04, 06:49 PM
Jim and Laura Ernst

With DD#1, we moved her to her crib at about 15 mos. We had a couple of
rough nights, as we night-weaned her at the same time (I guess that was
cruel and unusual punishment!) but the transition was fairly smooth. With
DD#2, when she was about four mos. old, I would nurse her down to sleep as
usual, but then she wouldn't stay asleep and would pop up after 20 minutes
or so!! This would continue through the evening for a couple of weeks, and
I said, "That's that!" and moved her to her crib. However, I felt I needed
to continue nursing her as she was so young...and I continued the night
nursing (getting up and going to HER room) until she was about 14 mos. old.
That sucked!!!!! With DS#1 on the way (3/18/04) I hope just to keep him in
our bed for at least 6 or 7 mos....or longer if it goes smoothly...besides,
DD#2 will need the crib until at least next summer, when we bunk-bed her
with DD#1. Don't know how this is going to turn out, but I'm keeping my
fingers crossed!
Laura
Sally 12/18/97
Maggie 12/21/01
Charlie 3/??/04
om...

Old January 14th 04, 09:05 PM
Karen

I have a 3 1/2 yo and am pg with #2. We always followed ds' lead and he
litterally told us when he wanted major transitions, like: "I don't want
to wear diapers anymore," "I don't want to sit in the high chair
anymore," etc. Over the summer (just after age 3), he asked for his own
bed, so we went out and bought him one, which is in the corner of the
bedroom against the wall, all of about 18 inches from my side of the bed.

MIL has already inquired as to if we'll be "moving him out" of our room
before the baby comes. My response was a couple of things, that first,
we don't want to make any major changes in his routine because of the
baby, so as not to engender resentment. And second, that we made a
specific choice to cosleep/family bed, and to do so wouldn't really be
following our beliefs regarding everyone sharing sleep. Third, as with
everything else, we trust that he'll tell us when he wants to sleep in
the other bedroom.

The baby is due one months before he turns 4, and just today he asked
where the baby will sleep, and I explained about the cosleeper and that
we'll put it on the other side of the bed from where his bed is. (Left
out the part about mommy switching to the other side of the bed!) He
said that sometimes he will get out of bed to go look at the baby! Cute.

I imagine that if he were still in our bed, we'd just figure out a way
to make everybody fit. That's what we thought we'd be doing, the request
for his own bed came as a surprise.

-Karen, mom to Henry 3 1/2 and someone due 4/24/04-

Old January 15th 04, 02:57 AM
Ty

ted wrote in message . ..
My 10.5 month old starts every night sleeping in the crib. She wakes
up after an hour or so and wails until I come and pick her up, place
her in the bed next to me and both of us doze off. Since I'm newly
pregnant, I'm feeling sleepy by 8pm. This is working out fine (for
now!).
DD is not a happy sleeper. She wakes up several times sits up in the
bed, moves around, cries etc. Sometimes the only way to soothe her is
to place her on top of me and pat her to sleep. So nobody sleeps well.
I suspect all this cant be good when I progress into my pregnancy.

If you were cosleeping at what stage did you make the transition to
crib/another bed?

This will be of no help to you I'm sure!
With all my children, they first went to sleep in their own beds, and upon
waking during the night I brought them to bed with me. My firstborn stopped
being able to sleep with me at around 6 months, and my second born continued
until she was 5 years old and I was "too pregnant" to fit all of us three in
my smallish bed. She was old enough to just tell her I was too big and
couldn't sleep well as it was.
I would say if your daughter isn't sleeping well with you, pregnant or not,
you should try to get her to sleep on her own. Not that I have any luck with
this myself. Just think maybe you'll have a better time with it than I do
with my 15 month old!
Marie

Old January 15th 04, 01:47 PM
Cantrall family

"ted" wrote in message
om...
My 10.5 month old starts every night sleeping in the crib. She wakes
up after an hour or so and wails until I come and pick her up, place
her in the bed next to me and both of us doze off. Since I'm newly
pregnant, I'm feeling sleepy by 8pm. This is working out fine (for
now!).

DD is not a happy sleeper. She wakes up several times sits up in the
bed, moves around, cries etc. Sometimes the only way to soothe her is
to place her on top of me and pat her to sleep. So nobody sleeps well.
I suspect all this cant be good when I progress into my pregnancy.

If you were cosleeping at what stage did you make the transition to
crib/another bed?

Thanks.

I have 3 children. Each about 2 years apart. They are all still mostly
co-sleeping with us. When I became pregnant, sometime around 3 or 4 months,
I would start to night wean the baby, but the baby was still in bed with us.
There were a couple of rough nights, but it wasn't too bad. When the new
baby arrives, I try to use the cradle, and keep the baby away from the
toddler until I feel the baby can fend for himself (ie, holler and kick and
scream if the toddler is getting to close) I think that's around 10 months
to a year.

Good luck,

Suellen

Old January 15th 04, 11:13 PM
Larry McMahan

Strictly speaking we never stopped. In actuality, we moved Clara
into her own room shortly after getting pregnant with Niel (she was
15 months) But she was back in our bed by 2 am.

After Niel was born, Monika would leave Niel in bed with me, and go
to Clara's bed to nurse her. She was not allowed into our bed
until it got light outside.

Larry

Old January 17th 04, 01:19 PM
Mary

We are about half and half in a toddler bed and cosleeping at this
point, having just started the transition at 21 months. Night weaning
seems to be happening at the same time, as she starts to sleep through
the night, but almost two is very different from almost one. IME,
around-one is a difficult age for sleeping, and it should get better
before you're TOO big and uncomfortable.

I've been thinking about the "hold on my chest and pat back to sleep"
thing too, considering that a bigger belly will make that difficult!
Does she settle for your husband?

When we were in interim housing, we had our mattress on the floor, with
a twin mattress right next to it, against the wall. So the twin
mattress was hemmed in at all sides by the walls and the big mattress,
but she was close enough to still think she was cosleeping. That worked
well, and might be a better middle ground than a toddler bed, since you
have a wiggler, or a crib which will involve lots of lifting.

Mary S.
mom to the Sproutkin, 22 months