Last childbirth class

Old March 14th 04, 12:50 AM
Angela Schepers

Default Last childbirth class

Today DH and I had our last childbirth class. It lasted for almost 7
hours (how exhausting!) but they fed us lunch and gave us a lot of
breaks. We went over breathing techniques, a bunch of labor,
postpartum, and newborn care stuff (a lot of videos) that had been gone
over in previous classes or I had read up on which was kinda boring, and
we got to tour the maternity ward. There were 2 babies born at the
hospital while we were there (they play Brahms lullaby over the intercom
when a baby is born... awwww..) so we were hoping we'd get to see one in
the nursery but both were with their mom so we didn't. The L&D and
Postpartum rooms look pretty nice and they do have a birthing ball in
every L&D room for patients to use. I do have a question though... how
exactly does one use this ball? Am I just supposed to straddle it and
bounce up and down?

The lecturer didn't demonstrate so I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed
to do with it. Also, after going over all the pain options for the 3rd
class in a row I think I've decided to go ahead with the epidural. I
tend to have issues with tramatic experiences and would like to keep the
birth as unstressful and pain-free as possible, I've decided. The
lecturer was really good about not pressuring breastfeeding or bottle
feeding. She just gave us the pros and cons of both and basically told
us to make up our own minds and not to feel guilty of choosing one or
the other. A real non-biased approach, it was a bit refreshing actually.

Overall the classes were a good choice for DH and I. My only regret was
that a lot of the information I already knew, or had researched myself
so I was actually pretty bored a lot of the time but learning the
breathing techniques and getting to tour the maternity ward was
definately worth it. I don't know that I would have paid the $65 for
all 3 trimester classes had I known the lesson plans ahead of time but
I'm sure the review didn't hurt and the breathing techniques will
probably help me out more than I think.

One more thing... I'm beginning to experience some pressure in what
feels like the bottom of my uterus or vagina which doesn't suprise me
any but it's being accompanied by a lot of pubic bone pain, all the way
down to the clitoris. So much so that it is causing me to hunch over
when I walk sometimes because it's not quite as painful then and the
maternity belt I bought doesn't help at all. Anyone have a suggestion
on how to alleviate this pain? The metamucil regimine the doc ordered
for me has helped somewhat (had some irritable bowel problems) but I'm
still in near constant pain in the pelvic and pubic region, some days
worse than others. I've pretty much given up on it ever getting any
better, if not worse, before I deliver. I'm just hoping I can stay
mobile. I'm glad I haven't had to work through my pregnancy because
there is no way I could have handled the pain.

Only 9 weeks left until my due date. I can't wait for this baby to get
here!! I'm starting to get really anxious!

Angela
EDD 5-13-04

Old March 14th 04, 12:56 AM
Emily

Angela Schepers wrote:

Today DH and I had our last childbirth class. It lasted for almost 7
hours (how exhausting!) but they fed us lunch and gave us a lot of
breaks. We went over breathing techniques, a bunch of labor,
postpartum, and newborn care stuff (a lot of videos) that had been gone
over in previous classes or I had read up on which was kinda boring, and
we got to tour the maternity ward. There were 2 babies born at the
hospital while we were there (they play Brahms lullaby over the intercom
when a baby is born... awwww..) so we were hoping we'd get to see one in
the nursery but both were with their mom so we didn't. The L&D and
Postpartum rooms look pretty nice and they do have a birthing ball in
every L&D room for patients to use. I do have a question though... how
exactly does one use this ball? Am I just supposed to straddle it and
bounce up and down?

Hi Angela,

Don't know about your other questions, and I didn't use a birth ball,
but I think the deal is that some women find sitting on it to be
a (relatively) comfortable option for dealing with contractions. Given
how I like to labor with my torso nice and vertical (more than it can
be in a rocking chair, say) I can see why it would be good. I tend
to sit cross-legged or with my legs splayed out...

.... actually, come to think of it, I think our doula with DS brought
a birth ball. I didn't sit on it (maybe it was too high for me?) but
I did sort of lay across it at one point, and the doula or DH rubbed
my back.

I think the key thing with a birth ball is to have someone around who
knows what to suggest with it! Maybe if they're standard equipment
at that hospital, the nurses will have a good idea.

Anyway, here's hoping your pain does clear up soon (and not by
having the baby come early!), and that you have a very positive,
non-traumatic birth experience. (You never know, you might find
that the contractions are difficult, but not traumatic. They do
tend to be rhythmic and steadily increasing, rather than a big
surprise.)

--
Emily
mom to Toby 5/1/02
Old March 14th 04, 02:18 AM
Em

"Angela Schepers" wrote in message
The L&D and
Postpartum rooms look pretty nice and they do have a birthing ball in
every L&D room for patients to use. I do have a question though... how
exactly does one use this ball? Am I just supposed to straddle it and
bounce up and down?

snip

I didn't end up using a birth ball much during my labor, but I did spend the
last 2 or 3 months of my pregnancy sitting on my birth ball when using the
computer to help with "optimal fetal positioning." You can use a birth ball
in many different ways. I liked sitting on it with my knees apart (you don't
have to fully straddle it, just what feels good for balance) and bouncing up
and down. Apparently, it is better for you to slowly rotate your pelvis
around while sitting on it, but I like bouncing. When I was in labor, I did
spend some time on my hands and knees with my arms draped over the ball. I
also spent some time that way before I was in labor, to help with fetal
positioning.

My baby loved being bounced on the birth ball for the first several months
after he was born too. Sometimes that was the quickest, best way to get him
to go to sleep for the night--DH bouncing him on the birth ball. We even got
a chair that the ball fits in and that is what I sit on at my computer now.
Birth balls are awesome!

--
Em
mama to L-baby, almost 6 months old!

Old March 15th 04, 04:07 AM

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 00:50:01 GMT, Angela Schepers
wrote:

they do have a birthing ball in
every L&D room for patients to use. I do have a question though... how
exactly does one use this ball? Am I just supposed to straddle it and
bounce up and down?

As others have posted there are different ways to use these. We had
one for DDs birth but I didn't get to use it, we still have it and
plan to try and use it this time. I find even just sitting on them
wonderful for my back.

Di