Hospital policies! Any suggestions? I need advice.

Old February 3rd 04, 09:27 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Default Hospital policies! Any suggestions? I need advice.

A bit of history:

I'm 37 and attempting a VBAC (sectioned because twin 'A' was a footling
breech) in a regional hospital. This means I am considered by them a
"high-risk" and they will section me at the first sign of trouble
because they are not equipped to do a section immediately (it would take
them an hour or two to call in a surgical team).

My situation at home is changing and my mom is leaving (she was here to
help look after the twins). DH and I really don't have anyone local to
help out except for a few hours in the night, now. I have to travel
about 1 hour (depending on road conditions) to the hospital. I have a
doula in the town where the hospital is located.

I am now considering a scheduled c-section because dh can then book off
on holidays and we can call in his dad to help with the twins (but only
for a few days). I really, really, hate to have to do this, though.

But, if I have to, a big fear of mine is establishing a nursing
relationship with this baby. The so-called "breast-feeding friendly"
hospital has a policy of taking the baby down to the nursery for up to 4
hours post surgery. I will be in the recovery room for a minimum of 1
to 1 1/2 hours. They will not bring the baby to me for the initial
breastfeeding within one hour. I can't go to the baby. I'm worried
that the blood sugars will be low and they will supplement. I don't
want that if I can prevent it. But how can I prevent blood sugars from
dropping if I can't nurse the baby!

My mind is all fuzzy right now because of being stressed out about this
whole mess with my mom and having to scramble at the last minute. I'm
also already stressed out because I had false labour on Saturday and I
have been in latent labour ever since. My contractions are about 10
minutes apart (and have been since Sunday morning) but very gentle.

I'm just a wreck right now. :-( What can I do? I need a bit of
guidance and some advice from people that are removed from the situation
and are able to think clearly (because I'm certainly not able to).

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old February 3rd 04, 09:39 PM
Dagny

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...
[...]

What a stressful thing.

I think you need to factor in a potentially 6 week hard recovery from a
section -- although hopefully it would be more like 2 weeks. And can you
afford a postpartum doula?

-- Dagny

Old February 3rd 04, 09:47 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Dagny wrote:

I think you need to factor in a potentially 6 week hard recovery from a
section -- although hopefully it would be more like 2 weeks. And can you
afford a postpartum doula?

I bounced back from the first section pretty quickly but I was only
dealing with little babies then not 35 pound toddlers. We might be able
to afford a post-partum doula but it would definitely be a bit of a
financial juggling act (more to the fact it would be an emergency
expense). I just don't know if I can even hire one where I am (very
small town).

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old February 3rd 04, 09:47 PM
Circe

DeliciousTruffles wrote:
I'm just a wreck right now. :-( What can I do? I need a bit of
guidance and some advice from people that are removed from the
situation and are able to think clearly (because I'm certainly not
able to).

Aw, Brigitte! {{{{Hugs }}}} Like you need the stress at this point.

Since you have a doula for labor support, may you could just bring the twins
to the hospital? Your husband will have to play primary caregiver to the
twins during labor instead of being your labor support, but if he's there in
the hospital, he should be able to be there during the birth. My daughter
was about the age the twins are now when Vernon was born and she was there
during his birth with no issues at all.

Other people may have other ideas, but that's the best one I can come up
with myself. Remember, lots of people have babies under similar
circumstances and they manage, despite not having the option of an ERCS
(because they've had previous vaginal births) on the table. So I'm sure
there are ways to handle this.

Frankly, ERCS to me seems the worst possible solution to the problem. Even
assuming there were no breastfeeding issues due to hospital policy, it's
just a radical change in your plans and it certainly sounds from what you've
been experiencing over the past week that you stand a very good chance of
having a successful VBAC.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [23 mos.] mom)

Financing for "5" years -- car dealership sign

Mommy: I call you "baby" because I love you.
Julian (age 4): Oh! All right, Mommy baby.

Old February 3rd 04, 09:54 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Circe wrote:

Aw, Brigitte! {{{{Hugs }}}} Like you need the stress at this point.

Tell me about it!

Since you have a doula for labor support, may you could just bring the twins
to the hospital? Your husband will have to play primary caregiver to the
twins during labor instead of being your labor support, but if he's there in
the hospital, he should be able to be there during the birth. My daughter
was about the age the twins are now when Vernon was born and she was there
during his birth with no issues at all.

See, this is why I come here. This is a good idea! Thank you!!!!!!!

DH wants very much to be there. This is a reasonable compromise. I've
only been thinking of all-or-nothing.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old February 3rd 04, 10:01 PM
Leslie

Brigitte said:

I'm 37 and attempting a VBAC (sectioned because twin 'A' was a footling
breech) in a regional hospital. This means I am considered by them a
"high-risk" and they will section me at the first sign of trouble
because they are not equipped to do a section immediately (it would take
them an hour or two to call in a surgical team).

The first thing to keep in mind that there is very little chance that there
will be trouble, since your first section was for a reason that doesn't apply
(I presume baby is head down, right?).

I would give them as little a chance to section you as possible by not arriving
at the hospital until the last possible minute, and then insisting on
intermittent monitoring only (if that). I would also avoid having an epidural
or being forced to lie in bed. Remember, one intervention leads to another and
another and another . . .

My situation at home is changing and my mom is leaving (she was here to
help look after the twins).

I am so, so sorry you are having to deal with this right now. What a terrible
stress for you.

DH and I really don't have anyone local to
help out except for a few hours in the night, now. I have to travel
about 1 hour (depending on road conditions) to the hospital. I have a
doula in the town where the hospital is located.

When you feel labor coming on, can you go to the town and get your doula to
hang out with you somewhere other than the hospital? Can you bring your
husband and the twins along? Since you have a doula, could your husband mind
the twins part of the time? Does your doula maybe know someone who would be
interested in minding them during the birth?

I am now considering a scheduled c-section because dh can then book off
on holidays and we can call in his dad to help with the twins (but only
for a few days). I really, really, hate to have to do this, though.

Don't put yourself through that. A vaginal birth is so much easier to recover
from. I speak from experience, lots of experience (I've had three sections).

But, if I have to, a big fear of mine is establishing a nursing
relationship with this baby. The so-called "breast-feeding friendly"
hospital has a policy of taking the baby down to the nursery for up to 4
hours post surgery. I will be in the recovery room for a minimum of 1
to 1 1/2 hours. They will not bring the baby to me for the initial
breastfeeding within one hour. I can't go to the baby. I'm worried
that the blood sugars will be low and they will supplement. I don't
want that if I can prevent it. But how can I prevent blood sugars from
dropping if I can't nurse the baby!

You need to avoid this if at all possible. Failing that, simply forbid them to
supplement and have your husband follow them down there and make sure they
don't. If there's a blood sugar issue, have him insist on their bringing baby
to you. IF for some reason supplementation becomes necessary, AFAIK they can
give sugar water and accomplish the same effect, and it can be given by
syringe.

My mind is all fuzzy right now because of being stressed out about this
whole mess with my mom and having to scramble at the last minute. I'm
also already stressed out because I had false labour on Saturday and I
have been in latent labour ever since. My contractions are about 10
minutes apart (and have been since Sunday morning) but very gentle.

You poor thing. I wish there was some way I could help. Where are you? Maybe
someone here who "knows" you lives close enough to help out?

I'm just a wreck right now. :-( What can I do? I need a bit of
guidance and some advice from people that are removed from the situation
and are able to think clearly (because I'm certainly not able to).

HTH.

Leslie
Old February 3rd 04, 10:20 PM
Mary W.

Leslie wrote:

DH and I really don't have anyone local to
help out except for a few hours in the night, now. I have to travel
about 1 hour (depending on road conditions) to the hospital. I have a
doula in the town where the hospital is located.

When you feel labor coming on, can you go to the town and get your doula to
hang out with you somewhere other than the hospital? Can you bring your
husband and the twins along? Since you have a doula, could your husband mind
the twins part of the time? Does your doula maybe know someone who would be
interested in minding them during the birth?

Both Barbara and Leslie came up this - a great option I think (and one
I'm going to keep in mind, I'll be in a similar situation Brigitte, but with
only one 3 year old, and closer hospital with caregivers that are vbac
friendly. I'm definately going to hire a doula). And how long would it
take your husband's dad to get there to help with the twins?

[...]

I agree here! early supplementation and failure to nurse in recovery after
my c-section led to a really rocky breastfeeding start. If you decide
to go this route, I'd have hubby stay with the baby no matter what (he's
might have to be agressive about it), and if supplementation becomes
necessary to use something other than a nipple. I'd even have him bring
a syringe or medicine dropper to do it (the hospital I delivered at said
the nurses weren't allowed to give a syringe to supplement with - wish
I had my own).

Best of luck,

Mary

Old February 3rd 04, 10:23 PM
H Schinske

Brigitte wrote:

The so-called "breast-feeding friendly"
hospital has a policy of taking the baby down to the nursery for up to 4
hours post surgery. I will be in the recovery room for a minimum of 1
to 1 1/2 hours. They will not bring the baby to me for the initial
breastfeeding within one hour.

What happens if you simply refuse? After all, this isn't the same thing as a
section for high blood pressure or something. There's no reason this baby
should be at any particular increased risk. Something like "Barring medical
necessity, my baby will remain with my husband at all times, and my husband
will bring him/her to me in the recovery room to nurse." I mean, geez. It's
YOUR baby.

I had a scheduled section with my twins and my husband was with the babies
almost all the time, and they did bring them to the recovery room right away.
And that would have been a higher risk situation than yours (given that there
are a couple of things that *could* go wrong with twins that wouldn't come up
with a singleton, and given that one of my twins supposedly had a two-vessel
cord, so they were watching out for anomalies there).

--Helen
Old February 3rd 04, 10:24 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Leslie wrote:

The first thing to keep in mind that there is very little chance that there
will be trouble, since your first section was for a reason that doesn't apply
(I presume baby is head down, right?).

Yes. Baby is still head down and engaged.

I would give them as little a chance to section you as possible by not arriving
at the hospital until the last possible minute, and then insisting on
intermittent monitoring only (if that). I would also avoid having an epidural
or being forced to lie in bed. Remember, one intervention leads to another and
another and another . . .

Dh and I have been reading and practicing the Bradley method of natural
childbirth because of this very concern. I would have loved to take the
classes and be even more prepared but there were none in my area.

When you feel labor coming on, can you go to the town and get your doula to
hang out with you somewhere other than the hospital? Can you bring your
husband and the twins along? Since you have a doula, could your husband mind
the twins part of the time? Does your doula maybe know someone who would be
interested in minding them during the birth?

I suppose we could always get a motel room and labour there with the
doula and the twins.

I am now considering a scheduled c-section because dh can then book off
on holidays and we can call in his dad to help with the twins (but only
for a few days). I really, really, hate to have to do this, though.

Don't put yourself through that. A vaginal birth is so much easier to recover
from. I speak from experience, lots of experience (I've had three sections).

Oh, I know. I desperately want to avoid a section.

[...]

Dh and the doula are under instructions from me that if I do have to
have a section, one of them MUST stay with the baby at ALL times. I can
recover on my own but I just don't trust those nurses (they hospital has
a bad reputation).

You poor thing. I wish there was some way I could help. Where are you? Maybe
someone here who "knows" you lives close enough to help out?

I'm in Merritt, BC and no one here is close enough.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old February 3rd 04, 10:31 PM
Molly Fisher

In article , DeliciousTruffles
wrote:

I suppose we could always get a motel room and labour there with the
doula and the twins.

This seems like a great idea to me. Do you think the twins could handle
it?

--
Molly
http://www.sonic.net/~mollyf/

Hospital Policies Nic H Pregnancy 4 May 28th 04 07:56 AM
can someone give me some advice? Krystle N Pregnancy 42 January 21st 04 03:38 PM
Birth position at hospital with chiropractors (Carl Cleveland III, DC) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 October 24th 03 05:55 PM
Midwives & Home birth vs. an OB & hospital ? LSU Grad of '89 Pregnancy 54 October 12th 03 09:26 PM
Hospital residencies for nurses and chiropractors... Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 1 August 23rd 03 06:18 PM