16 mo : no talking yet?

Old June 8th 05, 02:55 AM

Default 16 mo : no talking yet?

Hello All
I have a 16 month old . He walks and immitates a lot of things ( like
recently he started "typing" on the PC keyboard and pretends to move
mouse and looks at the monitor.

Well having said that all he says is "da-da" , duck ma-ma ca-ar, etc.
and all the babbling. but he does not speak anything more that these
words...

I am getting worried. Any help ?

Old June 8th 05, 03:13 AM
Circe

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 16 month old . He walks and immitates a lot of things ( like
recently he started "typing" on the PC keyboard and pretends to move
mouse and looks at the monitor.

Well having said that all he says is "da-da" , duck ma-ma ca-ar, etc.
and all the babbling. but he does not speak anything more that these
words...

I am getting worried. Any help ?

FWIW, that sounds a lot like my oldest son. I believe he had the bare
minimum of 10 words at 18 months. At 20 months, the snowball started
rolling. He went from 10 to 50 words seemingly overnight. By 22 months, he
had several hundred words and quite a number of two-word phrases. By 24
months, he was up to full sentences. At the age of 3, he shocked fellow
shoppers in the grocery store by saying when his shoe kept falling off,
"Mommy, my shoe's not cooperating!" And now, at not-quite-8, he speaks more
like a 10-11 year old and has recently qualified for the school's gifted
program. Clearly, there was nothing wrong with him.

From a clinical perspective, what's usually looked for when it comes to
referral for a speech/language evaluation is a minimum of three words (that
you recognize as words with meaning, even if others don't understand them!)
at 15 months, not including the words "mama" and "dada". It sounds to me
like your son may be pretty close to that. But if he's not or you are still
concerned, by all means, contact your pediatrician and see about getting a
referral for an evaluation by a qualified therapist. Early intervention
makes a world of difference for kids with developmental delays of all kinds.
(I also have an almost-6yo daughter with S/L and motor delays who was first
evaluated at 14mo, so I am well-acquainted with the whole early intervention
system and a firm believer in it.)
--
Be well, Barbara

Old June 8th 05, 06:25 AM
HCN

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello All
I have a 16 month old . He walks and immitates a lot of things ( like
recently he started "typing" on the PC keyboard and pretends to move
mouse and looks at the monitor.

Well having said that all he says is "da-da" , duck ma-ma ca-ar, etc.
and all the babbling. but he does not speak anything more that these
words...

I am getting worried. Any help ?

It is still early, but here is a chart to help you see what normal
development is:
http://www.asha.org/public/speech/de..._hear_talk.htm

Old June 8th 05, 09:59 AM
Sidheag McCormack

How much does he understand? My 19mo has no really unmistakeable words at
all yet (with generous interpretation, we have mummy, daddy, no, bye,
"appyappyappy" which seems to mean "please Mummy sing "If you're happy and
you know it"!, and something which may mean dog and/or duck), and I'm on
the edge of my seat, as it were. However, there's clearly nothing wrong
with his understanding - he can follow one and two step instructions,
answer yes/no questions of some complexity, point at almost anything I can
think of in pictures, he's beginning to understand colours and even
numbers, he can put cogwheels together, he can control the DVD player, he
can recognise his own name written... I could go on. He's due a routine
checkup at 22/23 months, and my current plan is to talk about it then if he
hasn't had a language explosion in the meantime, and otherwise try not to
worry about it. It is hard though.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old June 8th 05, 01:59 PM
KR

I wouldn't worry at all. Our daughter only said a few words up until a
couple weeks ago, she is 19 months now.

Her only words for about 6 months were mom, dad, and she could make
many animal sounds. Just yesterday she learned 3 new words. Trust me,
when it starts, it will happen fast! She says please and thank you
now, too cute!

I wouldn't worry until around the age of 2, then I'd maybe ask a
professional. He is obviously demonstrating that he can copy your
actions! We found animal sounds really fun to teach and she loved
learning them, I think that's when it really clicked in that she could
copy what we say!

Old June 9th 05, 01:02 AM
Steve

Circe wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 16 month old . He walks and immitates a lot of things ( like
recently he started "typing" on the PC keyboard and pretends to move
mouse and looks at the monitor.

Well having said that all he says is "da-da" , duck ma-ma ca-ar, etc.
and all the babbling. but he does not speak anything more that these
words...

I am getting worried. Any help ?

FWIW, that sounds a lot like my oldest son. I believe he had the bare
minimum of 10 words at 18 months. At 20 months, the snowball started
rolling. He went from 10 to 50 words seemingly overnight.

Boy, that's the truth!

My 24 mo turned two on Monday. His vocal skills kicked into gear
in the past two weeks. It's amazing! -- about as much fun as those
first steps while teaching him to walk. He progressed from single
word babbling (only 10 recognizable by me) to a much larger vocabulary
and broken sentences.

The cotton balls are gone. He understands me. I understand him.
He gives a whole new look now - he's looking back right into my
eyes. Quite amazing.

Sad too for some odd reason. I liked the mime games, being dragged
by the finger to see something, etc.

I'm no expert, but I think these things go in stages. If it keeps
you up at night, by all means go for an evaluation with your doctor.
I was a bit worried about my son but everyone told me it was normal
and kids develop at different rates.

Old June 9th 05, 07:44 AM
toypup

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello All
I have a 16 month old . He walks and immitates a lot of things ( like
recently he started "typing" on the PC keyboard and pretends to move
mouse and looks at the monitor.

Well having said that all he says is "da-da" , duck ma-ma ca-ar, etc.
and all the babbling. but he does not speak anything more that these
words...

I am getting worried. Any help ?

DD will be 16 mo in a few days. She says "ma," "da," "ta-tu (thank you),"
"bye,"chooos (shoes)," "juice," "dah (dog)," "nah (no)." I think that's it.

Old June 9th 05, 11:34 AM
lindseyfox lindseyfox is offline
Junior Member

Location: leicester

i babysit for a 16mth old little girl and she just babbles nonsense not even da da.

i would not worry this is normal