Who ya gonna call? (The term 'quackbuster' - are quackbusters abandoning it?)

Old August 30th 03, 08:42 PM
Orac

Default Who ya gonna call? (The term 'quackbuster' - are quackbusters abandoning it?)

In article et,
"Todd Gastaldo" wrote:

PREGNANT WOMEN: Please email this to your chiropractor...Ask your chiro to
ask the chiro trade unions to unify to help stop MDs from closing birth
canals and gruesomely manipulating most babies' spines at birth.

CHIROS - esp. Harold Tondera, DC: See the very end of this post...

[Snip]

Speaking of chiros, I just saw an ad on p. 143 of this week's issue of
The Village Voice for a "Dr. Shafir," a chiropractor. In the ad, he
published a rather remarkable claim:

BEGIN

Q: I suffer from asthma/allergies. I heard that chiropractic can help
with this. Is this true?

A: Chiropractic is very effective in treating asthma and allergies by
increasing your body's ability to combat these conditions naturally.
When your body has a subluxation (vertebral misalignment) the spinal
nerves can become quite irritated, decreasing their ability to flow. The
nevers connect to your muscles, organs, connective tissue, directly
affecting their ability to function. Very simply, if these nerves are
only functioning at 60% because of a subluxation then the areas they are
supplying (i.e., lungs, immune system) are only functioning at 60%.
Having your subluxation removed with a chiropractic adjustment ensures
that the nerves are functioning properly and allwing your body to fight
off asthma and allergies naturally. This directly leads to a decrease
an/or resolution of your symptoms.

END

Tell me: Do you believe this claim that chiropractic can treat allergies
and asthma? Never mind that there is no evidence that subluxation in any
way causes or exacerbates allergies or asthma. Never mind that there is
no evidence that spinal nerve dysfunction has anything to do with the
pathogenesis of allergies or asthma. Never mind that there is no
evidence that chiropractic "adjustment" can improve immune function.

Tell me: Should chiros be making such claims that they clearly cannot
back up with evidence?

|"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you
Old August 30th 03, 08:52 PM
Jeff

"Orac" wrote in message
news
In article et,
"Todd Gastaldo" wrote:

PREGNANT WOMEN: Please email this to your chiropractor...Ask your chiro

ask the chiro trade unions to unify to help stop MDs from closing birth
canals and gruesomely manipulating most babies' spines at birth.

CHIROS - esp. Harold Tondera, DC: See the very end of this post...

[Snip]

Speaking of chiros, I just saw an ad on p. 143 of this week's issue of
The Village Voice for a "Dr. Shafir," a chiropractor. In the ad, he
published a rather remarkable claim:

BEGIN

Q: I suffer from asthma/allergies. I heard that chiropractic can help
with this. Is this true?

A: Chiropractic is very effective in treating asthma and allergies by
increasing your body's ability to combat these conditions naturally.
When your body has a subluxation (vertebral misalignment) the spinal
nerves can become quite irritated, decreasing their ability to flow. The
nevers connect to your muscles, organs, connective tissue, directly
affecting their ability to function. Very simply, if these nerves are
only functioning at 60% because of a subluxation then the areas they are
supplying (i.e., lungs, immune system) are only functioning at 60%.
Having your subluxation removed with a chiropractic adjustment ensures
that the nerves are functioning properly and allwing your body to fight
off asthma and allergies naturally. This directly leads to a decrease
an/or resolution of your symptoms.

END

(...)

Nerves do not flow. They do move around with the parts of the body, but they
don't flow.

Gee, at many hospitals, they transplant hearts and lungs and kidneys. After
they transplant them, the nerves that supply them don't work any more (the
donor has them). Yet he hearts and lungs and kidneys work. What does this
say about the chiropractor's statement? And the chiropractor's understanding
of science and medicine.

Jeff

Old August 31st 03, 03:44 PM
Orac

In article ,
"Howard McCollister" wrote:

news

--

Yeh, that's a good one. We have a chiropracter around here that takes out a
big ad every few weeks with one such extraordinary claim after another. In

This "nerve energy blockage" seems to be big in the world of chiropractic.
Then I see someone on this group post a didactic syllabus for chiropractic
schools that indicate that chiropracters have more neurology study than real
doctors.

What a joke.

I could never understand how chiros could get away with the claims they
make for spinal manipulation. Next they'll be claiming you can cure
cancer by manipulating the spine...