For new nursing moms?

Old July 16th 07, 04:35 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

Default For new nursing moms?

Looking for some ideas, so if you have any, do let me know...
My cousin's wife is expecting some time soon. I actually have no idea, and
I really kind of don't care. I don't care much for this cousin (or his
parents and brother, but I would pick this particular cousin, minus his
wife, if I had to)
Anyways, I am preparing to be expected to have a baby shower gift. I
haven't heard anything of a baby shower, but I do know it will happen and I
do know I will be expected to attend. This wife and I really don't have
anything in common, that I know of, anyways. We're about the same age,
though. I think maybe only a few months difference. Anyways, this is her
first baby, so I'm kind of strapped for ideas.
I was thinking I would round up a little gift bag of the "essentials" for
new moms as far as nursing goes. I have no idea if she will be
breastfeeding or not, and again, I don't know if I care much. I was
thinking, though, that if I gave her a bunch of the breastfeeding
essentials, maybe this could be one thing that we could use to find common
ground? Like maybe I could offer her ideas or help or something.
Regardless of who's shower it is, I also know how you often get a crapload
of useless items (I remember for when any of mine were born, I specifically
asked for NO bottles whatsoever, yet I still got baby bottles!) Anyways,
regardless of what support is offered for new moms and breastfeeding, it
seems that many expecting moms "plan" to breastfeed and I've found that most
try but give up fairly quickly, and it seems mostly due to lack of support
and knowledge.
Is there any items or things you can think of that could make a good gift?
It's been so long since I was brand new to it, and even with DD2, she was
just kind of like a 'refresher course' and I was right back in the swing of
it. I was thinking something like a box of nursing pads, but I know with
that, it's each to their own - people seem to have their preference, and
even those I haven't used since DD2 was a newborn. Same with nursing bras
and tops, but those seem to be more of a mom gift, not a baby gift.
Any ideas? I don't want to come across as pushy, and my aunt (her MIL) did
make some random reference to her thinking about nursing, and I could tell
right away my aunt was kind of rolling her eyes about that as she was a
mother of newborns so long ago that back then, it seems, *most* babies were
bottle fed formula and not even tried on the breast.
Again, I don't want to come across as some breastfeeding nazi or something,
but is there anything that is really nice to have for mom and baby that you
can think of? I really want to steer clear of toys and clothing as I know
already (just because of my side of the family, anyways) that there will be
tons of that stuff already as it is.

Old July 16th 07, 06:55 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mary W.

On Jul 16, 11:35 am, "xkatx" wrote:

Again, I don't want to come across as some breastfeeding nazi or something,
but is there anything that is really nice to have for mom and baby that you
can think of? I really want to steer clear of toys and clothing as I know
already (just because of my side of the family, anyways) that there will be
tons of that stuff already as it is.

What about the book: So That's What They're For
http://tinyurl.com/38ms3q

I haven't read it but I've heard that it's a funny how-to breastfeed
book that
would appear less militant than the LLL book. If she's on the fence
about
breastfeeding, she may appreciate it.

I also really liked my boppy pillow, not just for nursing but also to
prop
baby up in for the first few months and then as a pillow to soften the
blow when they are learning to sit.

Mary W.

Old July 16th 07, 09:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
don_tspamme

I like the My Breast Friend pillow better than the boppy, as then if
they fall asleep on there you can just move them on it over to the
crib/moses basket whatever without waking them too much. However I
agree the boppy is nice when they get older for propping etc.

Also, new breastfeeding mom must SOOTHIES those gel things that help
get you through those first weeks - also any kind of cream however
they often give you lanisoh in the hospital, so not always necessary.

You could get her one of those pretty shawls for hiding breastfeeding,
as a new breastfeeding mom I felt like I was always trapped under a
blanket or a sheet - something stylish would have been nicer.

On a side note - I always give Gripe Water or gas medicine with my
shower gifts.. no one ever thinks to give anyone that stuff at a
shower, and since new babies are always gassy, that's another thing
that puts new breastfeeders off - they think its their milk, but its
not, just new babies tummy, and gas medicine/gripe water often helps
sooth tummies that are just figuring out how to work.

I love my MobyWrap as well, but not necessarily a great gift for new
breastfeeders as it might be intimidating to try and learn
breastfeeding in it - I don't have a problem, but I bought it for my
second child so I was already an old hand at BF.

Old July 17th 07, 05:22 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Marie

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 15:35:31 GMT, "xkatx" wrote:
Looking for some ideas, so if you have any, do let me know...

My favorite gift had to be from my SIL, after my 3rd baby was born.
She made me this bucket of different candies(mostly chocolates, but
she made some caramel popcorn balls that were the best in the world),
and a gift card for movie rentals. I still have the bucket.
But I guess something like that would be for someone you actually
liked ;o)
I give a box of nursing pads, and I either pick something off the
registry or find some momento-type gift, such as those kits where you
make casts of the baby's hands or whatever. And throw in a pair of
really cute newborn-sized bunny slippers.
Marie
Old July 17th 07, 05:36 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Flowergirl

"xkatx" wrote in message
snip
Is there any items or things you can think of that could make a good gift?

There are lots of ideas on Mother's Direct (sales division of the ABA /
LRC)
http://www.mothersdirect.com.au/

Amanda

Old July 17th 07, 06:59 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Teej[_2_]

In 7fMmi.49721$xk5.25013@edtnps82 "xkatx" writes:

Regardless of who's shower it is, I also know how you often get a crapload
of useless items (I remember for when any of mine were born, I specifically
asked for NO bottles whatsoever, yet I still got baby bottles!) Anyways,
regardless of what support is offered for new moms and breastfeeding, it
seems that many expecting moms "plan" to breastfeed and I've found that most
try but give up fairly quickly, and it seems mostly due to lack of support
and knowledge.

Again, I don't want to come across as some breastfeeding nazi or something,
but is there anything that is really nice to have for mom and baby that you
can think of? I really want to steer clear of toys and clothing as I know
already (just because of my side of the family, anyways) that there will be
tons of that stuff already as it is.

Since you don't know if she intends to nurse perhaps you should
consider something less over the top. If she is on the fence she
might feel like you are bing the pushing breastfeeding advocate that
you are not trying to be. If she decided against nursing, then your
gift will be greated with the same level of appreciation that you gave
to the bottles.

Maybe something like a boppy and a book about breasfeeding along with
a note telling her that you would be more then happy to answer any of
her questions she has about nursing or help trouble shoot problems if
she has any when the baby arrives.

Stacey

--
Teej
http://www.panix.com/~teej
Old July 18th 07, 12:00 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
CY[_2_]

This is exactly what I did for my sister in law. I made a HUGE basket with
the my brest friend pillow, gave that book, some nursing pads, and Medela
makes a kit of samples called something like Nursing Essentials kit. I also
gave her a gift certificate to Motherwear (even if she chose not to
breastfeed she could still find something there for the baby). I made a
little shirt for the baby that said "I'm Made of Mama Milk" for added
incentive to breastfeed (just got some t-short transfer paper and bought a
cheap shirt)! And a bib that says "I Love my Auntie". I tried to make it
humorous without being pushy, even though she knew that it was a "themed"
basket. She nursed for almost 18 months, and I like to think I had
something to do with that. It's always nice to have some support there and
she called on me often for advice. I really had fun with it

Good luck!

CY

"Mary W." wrote in message
ups.com...

Old July 18th 07, 05:16 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"CY" wrote in message
[...]

Hey, that reminds me... I was at my all time fav children's consignment
store the other day (hunting down a second pair of baby gates) and once
again, I made my way to this rack of baby onesies that have different funny
words on them. One of them (the one I still want to get for DD2, but don't
want to pay nearly $10 for an undershirt) was pink and said, "Mommy loves
me. I gave her boobs!"
There was a variety of them (If you're close enough to read this shirt,
you're close enough to change my diaper was another I remember) so maybe
I'll stick with some of the ideas already given... A book, pillow of some
sort, maybe things along those lines.

CY

"Mary W." wrote in message
ups.com...

Old July 18th 07, 08:25 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

On Jul 16, 1:55 pm, "Mary W." wrote:
On Jul 16, 11:35 am, "xkatx" wrote:

[...]

Another gift that could be for breastfeeding or not is the LaMa
Bra...http://www.lamabra.com

This could be used should she not breastfeed or if she does, it will
help with her engorgement and also make her more comfortable to stay
with it longer.
A friend that was a surrogate mom brought it to my attention and it
helped her since she didn't have the chance to breastfeed the child

Old July 21st 07, 04:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

As a new breastfeeding mom (DH is 5 wks. tomorrow) I'd say the most
useful thing I've had is support (i.e. breastfeeding classes and
books). I wonder if there isn't some place local that offers
breastfeeding classes? If you think that seems pushy, then I'd say a
book. I really like "The Breastfeeding Cafe". It's a funny book full
of anecdotes from breastfeeding moms - and they are really mainstream
ladies. The anecdotes are good because the stories are full of implied
hints and tips - there's no militant "force feeding" (so to speak).
Rather, it's just moms laughing (and crying) about their trial and
error experiences. I learned a few helpful tips that helped me stave
off problems before they started. For example, breastmilk (esp.
hindmilk) is more helpful for soothing and healing sore and cracked
nipples that lanolin. (I later looked this up in the medical
literature and found studies that prove this.) Or, swab the breasts
with distilled white vinegar at the first sign of thrush. (I started
to feel those tell tale pains and got under control within 24
hours) ... Finally, the stories are really entertaining and not too
long so they are perfect for keeping you occupied during those late
night feedings!