my genetic screening app't.

Old January 12th 04, 10:43 PM
Honey38ch

Default my genetic screening app't.

Well, I just got back from the 17 week genetic screening appointment. Just for
background, I will remind you that I am 39, and will be 40 at due date, so it
was necessary to go in to screen for Down's and other stuff.

They did the ultrasound, took tons of measurements which were too numerous to
be explained to us, and we got a great look at the baby. Yes, it is alive and
well, and was very active - lots of kicks and squirms. At the end of the
ultrasound the doc said it looked great - none of the warning signs had been
activated. He said "it couldn't look better." And he also said he felt he had
gotten a really good look, i.e. it was a really clear picture, so we felt
really good.

So we decided not to have the amnio, a decision which I feel very comfortable
with, and which we had gone in to the appointment expecting to make if the u/s
looked good. Also, no signs of any birth defects - heart, organs, etc. all
look great. He asked whether we wanted to know the sex (actually he said
gender, but I think this is a mis-use of the English language), and we said no.
So when he guided us through the baby's anatomy, he skipped very quickly from
kidneys to femurs! Nonetheless, Jim said "I thought I saw something there..."
He screwed up his face and asked again if we wanted to know, and we said no.
He said "well, I can assure you it has a gender, and it's either a boy or a
girl." We got a laugh out of that. Of course, if we change our minds, the
sex is now recorded on the chart, so we can just ask my doctor.

So yeah! I'm going to have a baby homo sapiens. The edd stays at June 18th,
although based on today's measurements it came back June 13th. I guess the
baby grows in spurts, so we can't assume it will be early based on this.

Wow, this gets more real by the day. I have now clearly identified what it
feels like to feel the baby move, which took me a long time. The books said it
would feel like a flutter, which I felt around 14 weeks, but since then it has
felt like prods and pressure on my cervix, so I was unsure, as I thought this
might be due to intestines churning or something.

Boy do I feel reassured! I can hardly tell you how much. I suppose it is
always hard to keep thinking positive after a loss, but I think it will be much
easier after today's appointment.

Thanks everyone for all your support - I love this newsgroup!
Honey
Old January 12th 04, 10:47 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Honey38ch wrote:

So yeah! I'm going to have a baby homo sapiens.

LOL! What did you think you were having, a homo erectus?

I'm glad your appointment went well. I was so relieved after our genetic
screening (we are young but they saw a soft marker on the 19.5 week u/s)
went well. The marker had disappeared and there were no others.

It's such a relief, I know

Old January 13th 04, 10:42 PM
Kim

In article ,
says...
[...]

Congrats, that's awesome! I am 37 and I am 11 weeks along with my
first, so we are currently mulling over whether to amnio or not. I will
definitely have a detailed u/s like you just described. Did they tell
you just what the detailed u/s can detect? Also, is this your first
baby?

(snip)

Wow, this gets more real by the day. I have now clearly identified what it
feels like to feel the baby move, which took me a long time. The books said it
would feel like a flutter, which I felt around 14 weeks, but since then it has
felt like prods and pressure on my cervix, so I was unsure, as I thought this
might be due to intestines churning or something.

I know 11 wks is too early to feel any movement, but today I could have
sworn I felt flutters, but then had a huge farting attack, so i guess it
wasn't the baby

Congrats again and keep us posted!

-kim
Old January 13th 04, 11:05 PM
Honey38ch

Congrats, that's awesome! I am 37 and I am 11 weeks along with my
first, so we are currently mulling over whether to amnio or not. I will
definitely have a detailed u/s like you just described. Did they tell
you just what the detailed u/s can detect? Also, is this your first
baby?

Thanks, Kim. Yes, it's my first, and after a few miscarriages, so I have had
perhaps more than my share of fears.

The detailed u/s can detect any number of 'soft signs' - i.e. anatomical
anomalies and features that are 'associated' with Down's or birth defects. It
can also get a good look at the heart, to screen for heart defects. The way
the doctor put it is that since none of the soft signs are activated, he is
willing to automatically reduce my typical age-related or generic risk for any
defect by 50%. He said he wouldn't reduce it any further, because no risk
every goes to zero. So only the amnio can tell you for sure, but this kind of
u/s is apparently pretty indicative. The decision to skip the amnio was
wholely ours. I could see that someone else might still want to know 'for
sure'.

Congrats to you too, and good luck with whatever you decide. Where do you
live?
Honey
Old January 13th 04, 11:55 PM
Kim

In article ,
says...

[...]

That is interesting, boy the things I am learning during this pregnancy.
I thought I already knew a lot because I am a science teacher, but I
didn't know nothin' about pregnancy I am finding out! I am sorry to
hear about your miscarriages, but it sounds like this baby of yours is
doing fine!! That will be nice to have a June baby and get the summer
to have baby outside a lot. I am due in Aug.

I have never been pregnancy before, but I am a little (ha, a lot)
nervous because I have to take precautions against blood clotting (I had
a major blood clot while on the pill) - I have to start self injections
of blood thinners tomorrow - ugh!

I live in Ohio, what about you?

-kim

-kim

[...]