I took the plunge! Will see a midwife!

Old January 13th 04, 03:47 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Default I took the plunge! Will see a midwife!

Well I actually made an appointment with the local midwives' group! I'm
very excited about it. They sound totally willing to work with me and
to listen to me. Yay! :-) I made the appointment *now* (i.e. only
half way through the first trimester) because I read somewhere online
that Ontario midwives are usually fully booked, and that you should
schedule your first appointment as soon as you find out that you're
pregnant. As it turns out, I barely squeezed in (phew!).

I can't believe that they do home visits. I mean, to me, that is just
shocking. ;-)

Old January 13th 04, 09:55 AM
Dagny

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
. ..
Well I actually made an appointment with the local midwives' group! I'm
very excited about it. They sound totally willing to work with me and
to listen to me. Yay! :-) I made the appointment *now* (i.e. only
half way through the first trimester) because I read somewhere online
that Ontario midwives are usually fully booked, and that you should
schedule your first appointment as soon as you find out that you're
pregnant. As it turns out, I barely squeezed in (phew!).

I can't believe that they do home visits. I mean, to me, that is just
shocking. ;-)

Great! What kind of midwives? Hospital or home birth or both?

-- Dagny

Old January 13th 04, 02:17 PM
Kat

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
. ..
Well I actually made an appointment with the local midwives' group! I'm
very excited about it. They sound totally willing to work with me and
to listen to me. Yay! :-) I made the appointment *now* (i.e. only
half way through the first trimester) because I read somewhere online
that Ontario midwives are usually fully booked, and that you should
schedule your first appointment as soon as you find out that you're
pregnant. As it turns out, I barely squeezed in (phew!).

I can't believe that they do home visits. I mean, to me, that is just
shocking. ;-)

That's great!! Glad that you feel good about your appointment! Awesome
that they do home visits, very convienent for you:-)
Kat
Mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and #2 EDD 02/01/04

Old January 13th 04, 03:04 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

Well I actually made an appointment with the local midwives' group!

Woo hooo! Hope it all goes well for you and that
they're everything you hope for.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 13th 04, 05:21 PM
Fer

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
. ..
Well I actually made an appointment with the local midwives' group! I'm
very excited about it. They sound totally willing to work with me and
to listen to me. Yay! :-) I made the appointment *now* (i.e. only
half way through the first trimester) because I read somewhere online
that Ontario midwives are usually fully booked, and that you should
schedule your first appointment as soon as you find out that you're
pregnant. As it turns out, I barely squeezed in (phew!).

I can't believe that they do home visits. I mean, to me, that is just
shocking. ;-)

That's great!! I am glad that they were able to get you in! I do hope that
they are a good match for you

--

Jenn*who just loves her MWs*
-WAHM

Old January 13th 04, 11:16 PM
Honey38ch

Well I actually made an appointment with the local midwives' group! I'm
very excited about it.

Congrats! I am considering a home birth and have just started thinking about
midwives. Are you talking about a home birth or a birth center? Is this your
first child? How did you come to consider a midwife as opposed to hospital
care? It all sounds very exciting and it's great that you got in and feel so
positive about this. I think that's really neat.
Honey
Old January 14th 04, 05:32 AM
Susanne Koenig

Vicky,

I am glad for you. It was no longer an option for me, of course! Keep us
informed!

Sk

Old January 14th 04, 02:23 PM
Dagny

"Honey38ch" wrote in message
Well I actually made an appointment with the local midwives' group!

I'm
very excited about it.

Congrats! I am considering a home birth and have just started thinking

about
midwives. Are you talking about a home birth or a birth center? Is this

your
first child? How did you come to consider a midwife as opposed to

hospital
care? It all sounds very exciting and it's great that you got in and feel

so
positive about this. I think that's really neat.
Honey

There are a lot of homebirthers here -- you may want to repost these
questions in their own thread. You'll get lots of responses.

-- Dagny

Old January 14th 04, 03:25 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Susanne Koenig wrote:

I am glad for you. It was no longer an option for me, of course! Keep us
informed!

I know I should probably keep my mouth shut (I
passed by your first posting with tongue firmly in cheek!),
but I just have to say it anyway because otherwise if things
don't go well for you, I'll feel bad for not having said
it Just In Case!
I know your u/s showed a large baby and a large
head. I know you had a lot of damage from your last
birth. However, late term u/s are notorious for being
inaccurate at guessing weight. There has actually been
a study showing that multiparas *guess* the weight of
their babies more accurately than late term u/s does!
In the studies, late term u/s is considered "accurate"
if it predicts the actual weight within 10 percent,
which is a *heck* of a wide range, and it only manages
to get *that* close less than 60 percent of the time
(even worse in some studies). So I really wouldn't
take the late term u/s weight estimate very seriously.
The head issue may be a bit more significant.
However, having birthed a baby with a very large head
myself, I have to say that I believe very strongly that
the issue there is all about positioning. If you stay
off your butt for second stage and have someone who
knows what they're doing, you'd likely do just fine.
I didn't have *any* tearing after delivering a baby
with more than a 15" head (and more than a 15.5" chest).
I know that your care providers are living
in the dark ages and that you feel you have limited
options. If you absolutely can't get reasonable
care, then maybe you will be better off with a
c-section, especially considering that your plan
is for this to be your last child and therefore
you theoretically won't have to worry about the
potential complications for future pregnancies.
It breaks my heart, though. I know you said it
isn't financially possible, and I have to accept
that, but I feel like if I were in your shoes I'd
be looking for any way to beg, borrow, or steal to
transfer to midwifery care.

Good luck however it goes,
Ericka

Old January 14th 04, 11:46 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Dagny wrote:

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
. ..

Well I actually made an appointment with the local midwives' group! I'm
very excited about it. They sound totally willing to work with me and
to listen to me. Yay! :-) I made the appointment *now* (i.e. only
half way through the first trimester) because I read somewhere online
that Ontario midwives are usually fully booked, and that you should
schedule your first appointment as soon as you find out that you're
pregnant. As it turns out, I barely squeezed in (phew!).

I can't believe that they do home visits. I mean, to me, that is just
shocking. ;-)

Great! What kind of midwives? Hospital or home birth or both?

-- Dagny

They do both. I want to be in the hospital, though. I want to be
nearer the emergency equipment, if necessary. ;-)

Midwife in Gilmore Girls Ilse Witch Pregnancy 6 November 5th 03 08:57 PM
This is why it's hard to find a homebirth midwife toypup Pregnancy 12 September 7th 03 06:19 PM
Looming problem with midwife Arthur Kludge Pregnancy 7 August 30th 03 04:51 PM
Midwife choices Elaine Pregnancy 3 August 29th 03 10:41 PM
Help! Need Statistics on Safety of Midwife Births Shelly Pregnancy 12 August 22nd 03 08:45 PM