Baby washcloths...and burp cloths

Old March 12th 04, 03:40 PM
Ilse Witch

Default Baby washcloths...and burp cloths

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:59:52 +0000, Jill wrote:

I am just wondering really, why people are so gung-ho over baby wash
cloths?

Because you do need lots of them! They are just the right size to stick in
a pocket or purse, and you will always need one when you cannot find one.
To burp, clean up some spills, wipe the mouth or hands, you use them ALL
the time. Cloth diapers are simply too big to carry around a few of them.
So in the end, wash cloths are everywhere and you will need at least 20 or
so. Plus, we use wash cloths instead of disposable diaper cloths, so we do
have quite a big stack of them.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (19m)

Old March 12th 04, 05:07 PM
Jill

"melbgal1" wrote

I have never seen a 'burp cloth' in my shopping adventures.
( but I am amused by your tale of cloth, please enlighten me !

Well, what I mean by burp cloth, is like what someone else said- it's about
one third the size of an unfolded cloth diaper- it's kind of shaped like a
dog bone treat, if that makes sense. When I first saw one I wasn't sure
exactly what you were supposed to do with it besides wipe etc but apparently
it's designed to throw over your shoulder for burping.

To me, the cloth diapers would work much better for this...or a receiving
blanket...

Old March 12th 04, 05:11 PM
Jill

"Ilse Witch" wrote
Cloth diapers are simply too big to carry around a few of them.

This is true. While folding the diapers I thought "There is NO way you could
fit many of these in a diaper bag"- so I bet I will end up using the baby
wash cloths more than I thought I would.

I have also been considering actually checking into a diaper service and
using cloth diapers too. The more I think about it it seems so much better
for baby's skin than all the chemically diapers.

Old March 12th 04, 07:21 PM
Ilse Witch

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:11:04 +0000, Jill wrote:

I have also been considering actually checking into a diaper service and
using cloth diapers too. The more I think about it it seems so much better
for baby's skin than all the chemically diapers.

It really depends what you prefer and how your baby reacts to it. Many
people believe using a diaper service is better for the environment, but
that isn't always the case. Also, disposable diapers absorb much better,
leaving babies skin drier and less sensitive to rash. Now that doesn't
mean you should not use cloth at all, I'm sure there are many people here
who can argue in favour of it. E.g. if you use cloth and wash them
yourself, it's definitely better for the environment, and for your wallet!

Old March 12th 04, 07:55 PM
Mary Gordon

Thanks Holly - holy cow, now there's a product that seems kind of
useless to me for routine use, given that its so much more costly than
just receiving blankets. I can see having one or two for special
outings if someone gave them to you as gifts, but other than that -!

MEG
Old March 13th 04, 04:15 AM
aml

"Jill" wrote in message .com...
I had already decided not to use these even though I know people can't
resist giving them to you at showers etc...I was planning on using cloth
diapers for this purpose.

Someone just gave me a large laundry basket of secondhand baby washcloths- I
swear there are like 50 of them- and a lot of burp cloths too. (Also a few
cloth diapers)...

Probably by the time I have my shower I will have about 100 baby wash
cloths. I'm not being sarcastic, I am just wondering really, why people are
so gung-ho over baby wash cloths? It doesn't seem like people in this group
are, but everyone I know otherwise considers them essentials. Sure they're
small and soft. but they're SMALL! For wiping drool and spit up cloth
diapers would be much better. Same goes for burp cloths. The way their
shaped I find cloth diapers to be more practical and multi-use.

I received alot of baby washcloths too...but not nearly the number
you have! I never had a problem of running out, but I only used them
for bathing (oh, and also fozen for teething).

Cloth diapers were great though. DS was a major league spitter and I
was a major league leaker (like 5 oz on the side DS wasn't feeding on
at the time). I went everywhere with them...usually with several. DS
weaned over a year ago, but he still insists on sleeping with about
six of them at a time (he would invariably fall asleep while
breastfeeding with one or more firmly in his grasp). He calls them
"mama towels."

I suppose if you'd like to find another use for the washcloths you
could try sewing them together to make larger, more absorbent towels
for burping.

aml
Old March 13th 04, 05:54 PM
Linz

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:59:52 GMT, "Jill" wrote:

I had already decided not to use these even though I know people can't
resist giving them to you at showers etc...I was planning on using cloth
diapers for this purpose.

Someone just gave me a large laundry basket of secondhand baby washcloths- I
swear there are like 50 of them- and a lot of burp cloths too. (Also a few
cloth diapers)...

Ideal for washing baby's bum instead of using throwaway wipes at nappy
changes. Especially if you're using cloth nappies - they can go in the
wash together.
--
Linz
YB: 4.5 months, 16lbs 6oz