Freaking out about buying stuff..

Old March 12th 04, 05:40 AM
Cam & Shane

Default Freaking out about buying stuff..

All you NEED is somewhere for baby to sleep, some things for baby to wear
and some nappies. I know some people get really obsessed with all the

stuff
but doesn't mean there's something wrong with you if you don't!

I had trouble buying stuff for number God knows why it just freaked me

out.
I ended up just buying a few little things at a time. I think I started

with
one baby hat! I am a big fan of buying most of the stuff after baby came

so
I knew exactly what I needed.

Judy

Hi Judy

I like that idea of starting off small and working up. I think I can do
that.

Cheers
Camille

Old March 12th 04, 02:36 PM
Irene

"Cam & Shane" wrote in message ...

Cam, for what it's worth, one big lesson we learned having our daughter is

that
you need lots and lots less than you think. Most baby stuff is frills;

the real
necessities are few. Think about it. Diapers, working breasts, a few

"onesies",
a warm place to sleep, and a happy Mommy will keep just about any baby

happy.

Richard
Micaela's dad

Hi Richard - you always have great answers. I reckon I can cover what you
suggested :-))))))

Thanks heaps
Camille

And a carseat! (And, depending on the weather, sleepers too.)

Irene
Old March 12th 04, 03:36 PM
Ilse Witch

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:30:58 +1300, Kereru wrote:

All you NEED is somewhere for baby to sleep, some things for baby to wear
and some nappies.

snip
I am a big fan of buying most of the stuff after baby came so
I knew exactly what I needed.

Fully seconded! I never freaked out, rather the opposite, and was stuck
with quite some clothes DS never got to wear because they were too small.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (19m)

Old March 12th 04, 10:45 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Cam & Shane wrote:

"

Same here, except for a couple of small items. We haven't even started
cleaning out the baby's room. For me, it's fear of loss, despite the
fact that I really don't think I'm going to lose it. I can totally
understand the fear of making it all seem real if you buy things,
though, because to me, it *would* make it all seem real.

OMG - I haven't even thought about cleaning out the baby's room. It's
probably a good thing we don't have anything to put in it yet....

Cam

My MIL has suggested that I wait for the summer term to start and then
tell DH that I'm too big, hot, and uncomfortable to do it and that he
should do it. Smart woman. ;-) Looks like it's heading that way no
matter what, though - I mean I just can't bring myself to the point of
getting started because it's *such* a mess. I will be forced to start
once we get some furniture, though.

Old March 13th 04, 05:26 AM
Cam & Shane

My MIL has suggested that I wait for the summer term to start and then
tell DH that I'm too big, hot, and uncomfortable to do it and that he
should do it. Smart woman. ;-)

I'm liking that idea...... except we have just starting autumn here - I
can just say I'm too big and uncomfortable.....

Old March 13th 04, 07:29 PM
Mary Gordon

I'm the mom of three, and like most people who answered you thus far,
I promise you you don't actually NEED a whole lot for a newborn, other
than some very basic items like a carseat, some changing supplies and
a basic wardrobe of sleepers, a sweater or two and a hat.

Sometimes its better not to buy too much, but to borrow items to see
what works best for you before investing $$. A lot of the stuff people
buy is frivolous and maybe nice to have, but not necessary - and
sometimes, items just don't work for a particular baby.

For example, fancy baby tubs....My kids were all really big, and those
sloped back baby tubs were useless since baby was too big in about 5
minutes flat, and got cold in them. I used a really cheap basic big
plastic one, or else the big tub with me in there at the same time.

Another example - swings. My kids hated, hated, hated them. I tried
several times with borrowed ones since my friends swore by swings, but
am very glad I didn't BUY one since my kids just never thought much of
the idea.

Things I think you need:
A big diaper bag (big is better, since you end up carting a lot of
stuff around with you, and it in effect becomes your gi-normous
purse).
At least 1/2 dozen footy sleepers.
A hat
A couple of baby sweaters or jackets.
Bum cream like Zincofax
Diapers
Receiving blankets (those flannelette squares). If you use cloth
diapers you need fewer since the diapers can be used for various
things, but if you use disposable, a big pile of receiving blankets is
handy.
A couple of washable baby blankets.

Not much, is it? I had a change table but I rarely used it, finding it
handier just to have a couple of change pads around the house so I
could change baby whereever I was. I had a crib and rarely used it
since I ended up co-sleeping (and believe me, that wasn't planned, but
worked out most practical for getting sleep with a frequent nurser).

I did have a big stroller that reclined fully (i.e. where you could
put baby flat to sleep) with a lot of cargo space, and that was a
useful thing right into the preschool years, but many people do just
fine without one.

I also found a borrowed moses basket a handy thing, since I could put
a young baby to sleep anywhere in the house I happened to be and keep
my eye on them (as opposed to them being upstairs, having a monitor,
and having to run upstairs to check on them every 11 minutes).

I breastfed, so I didn't need any gear other than nursing bras (I
recommend Bravado).

Mary G.
Old March 14th 04, 10:23 PM
Welches

Ilse Witch wrote in message
news
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:30:58 +1300, Kereru wrote:

All you NEED is somewhere for baby to sleep, some things for baby to

wear
and some nappies.

snip
I am a big fan of buying most of the stuff after baby came so
I knew exactly what I needed.

Fully seconded! I never freaked out, rather the opposite, and was stuck
with quite some clothes DS never got to wear because they were too small.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (19m)
mommy to two tiny angels (28 Oct 2003 & 17 Feb 2004)
guardian of DH (33)

Buy mail order? It's a bit more expensive for some things, but you can do it
at leisure. Maybe your dh can find some he likes and get you to look at them
rather than you trawling through sites.
I had very little before #1 was born. We borrowed/given 2nd hand stuff, but
that only came 3 weeks before she was due.
Debbie