VENT: post-dates

Old May 21st 04, 09:04 PM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

Default VENT: post-dates

I am whining, and I know it, so feel free to skip. ;-)

My "official" EDD, .sig notwithstanding, was actually 5/18 (this came from an
ultrasound I had at 9-1/2 weeks; my original EDD based on LMP was 5/16, so
given that I know when I ovulated I was probably due 5/20 rather than 5/22;
but I digress). This means that as of next Tuesday I am "officially" 41 weeks,
and am considered post-dates. Not in itself a big deal.

BUT, a condition of my ongoing care at the birth center is apparently twice-
weekly ultrasounds (for movement, breathing, and fluid levels) and fetal non-
stress tests. Now, on the one hand, that's not such a big deal, especially
since they're willing to let me go 42 weeks 6 days before getting pushy about
induction (assuming all looks normal). And at least the tests are non-
intrusive, and relatively quick; and as a first-timer I don't really mind some
extra reassurance about my little one's condition.

So here's the whining: I am SO TIRED of all the medical procedures! I'm not
keen on ultrasounds to begin with, and I've actually had six with this baby:
9-1/2 weeks for bleeding, 10-1/2 weeks because they couldn't pick up the
heartbeat (they had at 9-1/2), a Level 2 at 18 weeks as part of the AFP4,
another level 2 at 20 weeks because they couldn't get a good angle on the heart
at 18 weeks, another at 28 weeks because of bleeding again, and one a few
weeks ago to verify the baby's position (I was measuring a little short and
kind of sideways). Now TWO A WEEK? When I'm not even late, first-baby-wise?

(No, I wouldn't get all those ultrasounds if I had to do it over.)

I really like the birth center, and frankly I suspect if I were seeing an OB
at the hospital they'd be a whole lot less accommodating of me wanting to
wait for labor to start naturally. And I *do* appreciate that the effort is
going toward making sure my little one is thriving - that's the most important
thing, after all. The midwife made it clear that statistically there was
pretty much nothing to worry about - this was simply their policy after 41
weeks. Okay, I can live with that.

But I'm really, really pregnant at this point, I have a baby's head resting
pretty much on my knees, every Tom, Dick, and Harriet at work greets me with
"Oh! You're still here!", and I'm GRUMPY about having to go to the hospital
twice a week.

Whine, whine, whine. I feel better now, thanks. ;-)

Liz
EDD 5/22/04, or maybe 5/20/04, or actually not "expecting" on any particular
day at all at this point.

--

"No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. Man's reason and
spirit have often solved the seemingly unsolvable - and we believe they
Old May 21st 04, 10:18 PM
Kat

Default post-dates

My DS was born 9 days according to the EDD. My OB and his staff tried to
get me to agree to a non-stress test and told me I would end up being
induced (this was just one day post EDD!!). So I ended up refusing the
non-stress...Remember that you can refuse any treatment, you do have the
power to make that kind of decision. If you feel as though everything is
OK, it is OK to follow that feeling. Relax and the baby will come:-)
Anyway, hope that helped a bit.
Kat
mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and Will 02/10/04

Old May 21st 04, 10:19 PM
Nikki

Elizabeth H Bonesteel wrote:

So here's the whining: I am SO TIRED of all the medical procedures!

Whine away :-) I know exactly how you feel. I was so sick of all the
medical monitoring after #2 was actually relieved to just have a newborn to
take care of, lol. At least I could stay home with no hassles!

Hang in there, you are almost at the finish line!! :-)
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old May 21st 04, 11:51 PM
Amy

Two u/s a week?? That seems a bit excessive. I've been having one a
fortnight for a little while (I'm now 33 weeks) and that's just an extra
precaution because of a previous intra-uterine death. My next one in a
fortnight will likely be my last before baby is born at 38 weeks.
Is it a hard & fast rule there? They may just assume you find it reasurring,
and be prepared to cut the number down if you ask.

Old May 22nd 04, 03:39 AM
Unadulterated Me

Elizabeth H Bonesteel wrote:

But I'm really, really pregnant at this point, I have a baby's head resting
pretty much on my knees, every Tom, Dick, and Harriet at work greets me with
"Oh! You're still here!", and I'm GRUMPY about having to go to the hospital
twice a week.

Sounds very realaxing...not. Can you not just decline, say thank you for
your suggestions, I've considered what you have to say, researched the
matter and don't feel this will be of benifit to me so am declining.

Andrea

Old May 22nd 04, 06:26 PM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

In article , Kat wrote:
Remember that you can refuse any treatment, you do have the
power to make that kind of decision.

I do know. And I'm trying not to kid myself here about why I'm willing to
go through with the testing, whining notwithstanding.

Part of it is that it was presented to me as the policy of the birth center.
Certainly I can refuse - and they can then refuse to treat me there. My
alternatives at this point would be to go back to OB care (no, thank you;
and I can't imagine they'd be more willing to treat me without the tests),
or finding a homebirth midwife. And since "home" right now is a hotel room,
and will be long after Little One gets here, that's not especially appealing
either. ;-/

The other part - and probably the part that's influencing me most - is that
they've now planted specters in my head. I've got images of my baby
wasting away, of the amniotic fluid draining to nothing while I don't notice,
and a whole host of other, nebulous things I don't know enough to think of.
If I *don't* go through with these tests now, I'm going to be paranoid as
hell every time she naps, or changes position so she kicks toward the back
(I can never feel her movement as strongly when she does that!), or has
the hiccups, or DOESN'T have the hiccups. And I *know* that's hopelessly
neurotic and unhelpful; but my nature isn't going to change in the next two
weeks, no matter how I wish it might.

My biggest fear, of course, is that they're going to see something that's
really perfectly normal, brand it a "concern," and try to push me into
pitocin when she's really just not ready to come out. DH has been helpful
with this; he points out that there are a few conditions that are
legitimate emergencies, but that asking questions and waiting long enough
to do our own research is a viable, low-risk choice when it comes to
absolutely everything else.

And even the midwife said that most of the time these "routine" tests show
absolutely nothing wrong. So I guess between DH and the midwife, I've got
a decent support system.

Liz
EDD TODAY, I think, but still showing no signs of labor!

Old May 22nd 04, 06:28 PM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

In article ,
Nikki wrote:

Hang in there, you are almost at the finish line!! :-)

Thanks, Nikki. :-) A woman I work with pointed out that there are no cases
of 80-year-old women still carrying the babies they were pregnant with at
35. ;-)

Liz
EDD 5/22/04

Old May 22nd 04, 06:29 PM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

In article , Amy wrote:
Is it a hard & fast rule there? They may just assume you find it reasurring,
and be prepared to cut the number down if you ask.

I will probably ask when I see them again on Thursday. Of course, by then
I will either have had two of the damn things already, or it'll be a moot
point!

Liz
EDD 5/22/04

Old May 22nd 04, 06:31 PM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

In article ,
Unadulterated Me wrote:
Sounds very realaxing...not. Can you not just decline, say thank you for
your suggestions, I've considered what you have to say, researched the
matter and don't feel this will be of benifit to me so am declining.

Andrea, you sound so sensible. ;-) And I know you're right - my BP
always measures higher at the hospital, for some weird reason!

Liz
EDD 5/22/04, and I wouldn't mind if she stuck with it, thank you!

Old May 22nd 04, 07:36 PM
Kat

Sorry if I was too strong about my opinion. Sounds like there are very good
reasons for doing it all and that it is the right decision for you. I had
an experience where I felt like I was being "bad" for not wanting to do what
the drs nurses wanted me to do, so it mainly my issues coming through:-) I
wish you good luck!