Can a foot massage start labor?

Old May 19th 04, 12:47 AM
M Wayne

Default Can a foot massage start labor?

Now that I'm in my 31st week and can no longer comfortably reach my toes,
I'm treating myself to a pedicure tomorrow. I seem to remember reading that
there are parts of the feet and ankles that should not be massaged because
they can bring on labor, but I'm not clear on which parts. In case there's a
little foot massage involved in my pedicure (and lets hope there is, because
I could really use it!), I'd like to be able to enjoy it without wondering
if I'm going to go into labor right then and there. Does anyone know what
areas of the foot/ankle should be avoided (if any)?
Many thanks.
-Melissa

Old May 19th 04, 02:58 AM
Coccinella

DH gave me foot massage until the night before my scheuled c-section. My
baby didn't even drop!
Enjoy the pampering.

Love

--
Nicky

Proud mamma to Alexandra (03/22/2004)

Old May 19th 04, 03:17 AM
Tanya Elbourn

When I being induced with my first son the nurse knew a bit of reflexology
and massaged the bottom of my big toe for hours because she said it would
help labour along. 2 days later (despite being on an oxytocin drip as well)
I still didn't go into labour and had a c-section. All the toe massage
seemed to do was leave me with very sore, bruised toes.

I wouldn't worry about it - enjoy your pedicure and if you get a foot
massage as part of it make the most of it!

Tanya

Old May 19th 04, 03:37 AM
Leigh Menconi

I think there's a spot somewhere above the achilles tendon on the back of
the calf that is said to induce labor.

Leigh

Old May 19th 04, 03:57 AM
Puester

Leigh Menconi wrote:

I think there's a spot somewhere above the achilles tendon on the back of
the calf that is said to induce labor.

Leigh

If this were true, why doesn't every pregnant woman who is
beyond (or near) her due date have it massaged to begin
labor? Heaven knows they try some other weird old wives tales
to bring it on.

gloria p.
Old May 19th 04, 04:48 AM
Tori M.

There is really a spot on the foot that can bring on labor BUT from what I
have read you would have to know exacly where to touch to make it work. It
is unlikely that a pedicure person would hit it on accedent.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old May 19th 04, 06:57 PM
M Wayne

OK, it's about 2 hours post-pedicure, and I am officially not in labor :-)
My feet look lovely though...

Old May 22nd 04, 12:26 AM
Buzzy Bee

On Wed, 19 May 2004 02:37:38 GMT, Leigh Menconi
wrote:

I think there's a spot somewhere above the achilles tendon on the back of
the calf that is said to induce labor.

Also near the ankle bone and across where an ankle strap on strappy
sandals would be. I did get stronger contractions when a trained
reflexologist massaged those points but she worked them pretty darn hard
and I was already in pre-labour. I should think a standard foot massage
is fine, since those points aren't usually worked.

Big toe is your head, IIRC, so it wouldn't likely to work!

Megan M