Looking for a kid-safe vehicle- recs?

Old June 1st 04, 10:23 PM
Jill

Default Looking for a kid-safe vehicle- recs?

My husband and I are looking to trade his truck in for a vehicle better
suited for me to drive Rachel and future kids around in. He has a Ford F150
extended cab, and I have an old (c. 1990) Honda Accord. He is driving my car
for his commute to work, because with everyone else seemingly on the roads
in vans and SUVs, I don't feel my car is safe- it's so small I would HATE
for someone to hit me while I had the baby. The truck is safer but it is so
cumbersome. I am 5'2" tall and the truck feels huge to me, not to mention
it's awkward getting her car seat in and out of- we installed it in the
middle of the back seat - those back seats are tiny in extended cabs.

We can't buy new but I am obsessed with getting something as safe as
possible- I can't decide on an SUV or a minivan. I don't think SUVs are all
that safe really in crashes, but they have to be better than my car. Anyone
have any opinions or happy with the safety of what you are currently
driving?

I tend to prefer foreign and wish we could afford a Honda Odyssey
minivan....my husband likes Fords for some reason, and wants to look at Ford
Winstar vans or Ford Explorers...I like the really small SUVs (Ford Escape)
but don't feel they are safe...etc.......any suggestions? van or SUV?

Old June 1st 04, 10:53 PM
Circe

Jill wrote:
I tend to prefer foreign and wish we could afford a Honda Odyssey
minivan....my husband likes Fords for some reason, and wants to
look at Ford Winstar vans or Ford Explorers...I like the really
small SUVs (Ford Escape) but don't feel they are
safe...etc.......any suggestions? van or SUV?

How about a used Volvo station wagon? While I appreciate your concerns about
driving a car around all the minivans and SUVs, I *hate* that people give in
and engage in the "vehicle arms war" instead of resisting. In the long run,
you're better off driving a passenger vehicle that stops in less than half
the distance of an SUV/minivan and handle better, since you'll have a better
chance of avoiding an accident altogether. Plus, you'll get far better gas
mileage--remember, the cost of a vehicle isn't just what it costs you to get
it out the door of the dealership. And a Volvo is, of course, extremely
crash-worthy and safe in the event you *do* have an accident with one of
those nasty SUVs.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old June 2nd 04, 02:22 AM
DeliciousTruffles

Circe wrote:

Jill wrote:

I tend to prefer foreign and wish we could afford a Honda Odyssey
minivan....my husband likes Fords for some reason, and wants to
look at Ford Winstar vans or Ford Explorers...I like the really
small SUVs (Ford Escape) but don't feel they are
safe...etc.......any suggestions? van or SUV?

How about a used Volvo station wagon?

That's what I would suggest, too.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://ca.geocities.com/bironmonger/

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it,
requires brains."
~ Mary Pettibone Poole

Old June 2nd 04, 03:10 AM
Melody

"Jill" wrote in message
m...

We can't buy new but I am obsessed with getting something as safe as
possible- I can't decide on an SUV or a minivan. I don't think SUVs are

all
that safe really in crashes, but they have to be better than my car.

Anyone
have any opinions or happy with the safety of what you are currently
driving?

I spent 5 years as a reserve officer for a local Sheriffs Dept. From the
accidents I've seen I'd say that your Honda Accord would be much safer than
any SUV or mini-van.

Know what holds the roof on to a mini-van? Typically it's glue. They have
terribile visibility for the driver and because of their shape makes it
difficult for others to see around you as well. I've seen more mini-van's
demolished in accidents than just about any other sort of vehicle.

SUV's aren't much safer. Last time I checked the Toyota 4Runner had the
highest safety ratings (but that's been 5 years ago, I'm sure it's changed).
Even so, they tip easily and you still have a lot of the low driver
visibility factor.

I'd stay with the Honda. They're not only safe, but also reliable. Or I'd go
with a Volvo, they're still the safest cars on the road.

Melody
#2 due 1/12/04

Old June 2nd 04, 03:27 AM
DeliciousTruffles

Circe wrote:

Jill wrote:

I tend to prefer foreign and wish we could afford a Honda Odyssey
minivan....my husband likes Fords for some reason, and wants to
look at Ford Winstar vans or Ford Explorers...I like the really
small SUVs (Ford Escape) but don't feel they are
safe...etc.......any suggestions? van or SUV?

How about a used Volvo station wagon?

That's what I would suggest, too. Also, didn't Ford buy out Volvo?

Old June 2nd 04, 08:15 AM
zolw

I agree with Circe.

It makes more sense to me to drive a wagon than an SUV (a car that is
known for it's problems) or a van (like my husband says it drives like a
cow).

There are older Honda wagons ( I think up to year 1991) so it'll be
cheap, but if it wa well taken care of, it is good. Then there are the
known Volvo, passat etc.

Old June 2nd 04, 01:46 PM
Jill

"Circe" wrote
And a Volvo is, of course, extremely
crash-worthy and safe in the event you *do* have an accident with one of
those nasty SUVs.
--

Good rec, I hadn't thought of this. I am sort of anti-suv in the first place
because they are road and gas hogs and environmental nightmares-- that's why

Cars do handle much better-- my husband's truck has NO stopping distance at
all.

Jill

Old June 2nd 04, 02:52 PM
Mary Gordon

I'd like to chime in with everyone else. I had a station wagon for
years, and it was a terrific family car (we had a Taurus). We now have
three kids who are older (13, 10, and 6) so they stopped fitting
neatly three abreast in the rear bench seat - i.e. they are BIG - so
we have now gone to a extended bed van (we have a cottage, so we need
cargo space as well as people space).

The station wagon was very practical and worked well for us until two
or three years ago. You can get an amazing amount of stuff into one,
so it was good for vacations, trips to the hardware store, the garden
center or the "Bulk Barn" etc. as well as for the parental chauffeur
service and running errands around town. Ours also had a fold down
"jump seat" in the back, which would let you carry two more kids back
there.

Good vehicle. Don't know why they have kind of fallen out of favour,
since they get better mileage than a van.

Mary G.
Old June 2nd 04, 04:14 PM
Fer

Circe wrote:
|| Jill wrote:
||| I tend to prefer foreign and wish we could afford a Honda Odyssey
||| minivan....my husband likes Fords for some reason, and wants to
||| look at Ford Winstar vans or Ford Explorers...I like the really
||| small SUVs (Ford Escape) but don't feel they are
||| safe...etc.......any suggestions? van or SUV?
|| How about a used Volvo station wagon?

Great rec I'd say. Although I haven't owned one, I have driven them and was
very pleasantly surprised at the comfort & pep that they have (not a bad
stereo either NTM Volvos seem to go hand in hand with safety!

Good luck on your choice!
--?

Jenn
-DS Feb'92
-DD Feb'97
-36 weeks!

Old June 2nd 04, 04:33 PM
Circe

DeliciousTruffles wrote:
Circe wrote:
Jill wrote:
I tend to prefer foreign and wish we could afford a Honda Odyssey
minivan....my husband likes Fords for some reason, and wants to
look at Ford Winstar vans or Ford Explorers...I like the really
small SUVs (Ford Escape) but don't feel they are
safe...etc.......any suggestions? van or SUV?

How about a used Volvo station wagon?

That's what I would suggest, too. Also, didn't Ford buy out Volvo?

Yep. Ford also owns Mazda. Still, a Volvo is a Volvo when it comes to the
safety stuff and a Ford isn't (yet, anyway).