Alimentum / Pregestimil experience ?

Old October 9th 03, 05:00 PM
Parker T.

Default Alimentum / Pregestimil experience ?

Hi,

Our 2 weeks old son is experiencing what appears to be some sort of
digestive problem related to milk formula. He cannot be brestfed for
a number of reasons, and we initially gave him Good Start formula.
However, around 1 week of age, he started to show some difficulty when
getting his milk. After a few minutes of drinking, he starts to show
what seems to be digestive pain. Whenever he burps, he gets in pain
for a few minutes. Giving him a full 3-4 ounces can sometimes take
1.5 to 2 hours. Not exactly pleasure time.

We experienced a similar situation 3 years ago with his ultra-colicky
sister, who had to be switched to Nutramigen (a.k.a. NutraStinky) for
a few weeks and then to Good Start.

We started giving Alimentum to our son yesterday, and so far the
results have been non-conclusive (read: same behavior, plus he throwed
up at 2 in the morning). He seems to have much more gas with
Alimentum, so we're considering trying Pregestimil, in which the sugar
is different. We don't know how long we should stay with Alimentum
before switching to another formula.

Anyone with a Alimentum / Pregestimil experience ?

Thanks.

Parker
Old October 9th 03, 06:55 PM
CY

You may get a better/more responses from misc.kids as most of the mothers
here are not using formula...
om...

Old October 9th 03, 07:03 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

If your son is having trouble with Alimentum, he may be having trouble
with the casein in it. (No, Alimentum is NOT free of milk protein. And
quite a few babies who are intolerant of or allergic to milk will have
trouble with it.)

Your next alternative is a soy-based formula. About 30% of babies who
have trouble with milk will also have trouble with soy ... but the other
70% are home free.

If that doesn't work, your next possibilities are amino-acid based
formulas (which are quite expensive, and available by prescription only)
or breastmilk from a milk bank.

Going back to your earlier question, sort of, be aware that although
most babies who go milk-free will have improvement within a day or two,
some can take up to two weeks, due to the time it takes for the milk to
fully leave their systems and the time it takes their guts to heal from
the damage the milk caused.

Please feel free to ask further questions, or see what you can find by
starting at my web site and following the links.

Congratulations on your new baby,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old October 9th 03, 07:07 PM
JennP

"Parker T." wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Our 2 weeks old son is experiencing what appears to be some sort of
digestive problem related to milk formula. He cannot be brestfed for
a number of reasons, and we initially gave him Good Start formula.
However, around 1 week of age, he started to show some difficulty when
getting his milk.

While there are some here who do have experience with formula and you may
get some good answers from them, you might want to also ask this question of
misc.kids to get more replies. HTH
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old October 9th 03, 07:56 PM
iphigenia

Parker T. wrote:

Anyone with a Alimentum / Pregestimil experience ?

No idea - this is a breastfeeding newsgroup - but if you want to tell us why
he isn't being breastfed, we might be able to give some suggestions on
whether he truly can't be breastfed (which is a very rare situation).

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old October 9th 03, 09:49 PM
Denise

"Parker T." wrote in message
[...]

Like the others have, I'd suggest you go to misc.kids. My middle daughter
was on Nutramigen/Alimentum when I was told I couldn't breastfeed because of
her numerous allergies. I just took the doctors' words to heart and never
considered researching eliminating stuff out of my diet. I didn't notice
any changes in her for almost a month, and we had better luck with
Nutramigen than with Alimentum.

First had experience Vic General 0 May 19th 04 03:52 PM
More about my birth experience.. (quick) Jill Pregnancy 11 May 14th 04 04:00 PM
Planning my Future SAH Experience Bresslady General 12 April 19th 04 04:07 PM
Any experience? Fer Pregnancy 3 March 13th 04 01:00 AM
Any experience with late starters? Roxy Breastfeeding 8 August 5th 03 07:18 PM