Chronic sinusitis

Old September 17th 04, 03:14 PM
Dee

Default Chronic sinusitis

My oldest son was recently diagnosed with chronic sinusitis after
suffering two+ years with migraines. The doc said that the MRI showed
enlarged sinuses and has subsequently prescribed Flonase and Periactin
for the condition. She brought to my attention that Flonase contained
steroids which of course has caused me some concern - isn't that
dangerous for children? I did ask her about the use of steriods in
his age group and she told me that the medication was necessary and
the level of steroids wasn't severe enough to cause him harm. Now,
I'm not a medical professional but isn't any level of steroid use over
a period of time harmful? I'd appreciate anyone's input on this
topic, just so that I'm a little better informed. Thanks!
Old September 17th 04, 08:36 PM
john

yeah, all drugs are harmful especially long term use
http://www.whale.to/drugs/steroids.htm

Study naturopathic herbalism, shulze is the best
http://www.whale.to/c/shulze.html

and nutritional medicine, dr wright is the best know
http://www.whale.to/w/sites.html

don't know what age your kid is, amalgam isn't stuff to put into any mouth
http://www.whale.to/d/amalgam2.html

john

om...

Old September 18th 04, 10:54 PM
PF Riley

On 17 Sep 2004 07:14:42 -0700, (Dee) wrote:

My oldest son was recently diagnosed with chronic sinusitis after
suffering two+ years with migraines. The doc said that the MRI showed
enlarged sinuses and has subsequently prescribed Flonase and Periactin
for the condition. She brought to my attention that Flonase contained
steroids which of course has caused me some concern - isn't that
dangerous for children? I did ask her about the use of steriods in
his age group and she told me that the medication was necessary and
the level of steroids wasn't severe enough to cause him harm. Now,
I'm not a medical professional but isn't any level of steroid use over
a period of time harmful?

No. The dose makes the poison.

I'd appreciate anyone's input on this
topic, just so that I'm a little better informed. Thanks!

Fear of steroids is a contributing factor for why many children and
adults suffer from undertreated allergies and asthma.

Fluticasone is a steroid that is administered directly to the tissues
that need it (the nasal passages for Flonase, the lungs for Flovent)
and was designed to stay there, with minimal absorption into the rest
of the body. In essence, it's a topical medication. Because it doesn't
have to be administered systemically, the dose is tiny (measured in
micrograms). In fact, you would consume far more steroids with a
single 4-day course of oral prednisone for an asthma attack than by
using Flovent for an entire year.

The choice between a trial of Flonase, where the risk of side effects
is approximately zero, vs. continuing to suffer with chronic headaches
should be easy.

PF
Old September 24th 04, 06:32 PM
Dee

PF Riley wrote in message . ..
[...]

I do appreciate your thoughts on the subject and the info. Given all
the bad press that steriods receive, I'm sure you understand my
concern over giving the nasal spray to my son.
Even so,he's suffered too long from the migraines. He's taking both
medications, and seems to be doing well so far.