supplementing with formula - does anyone here?

Old October 12th 03, 06:38 AM
Kristine

Default supplementing with formula - does anyone here?

I've had to supplement with formula for about 2 months now. I would
pump at work (before, twice during, and on the way home - 10 hour
period) but just couldn't keep up with him. He likes to eat

I also started him on juice at 4 months and solids as well. Was this
wrong? I personally don't think so as every baby is different. I
followed my instincts and they were telling me that he was ready for
more than just breast milk. He gets cereal everyday - noonish - and 2
jars of babyfood in the evening. While I'm home, I nurse him on demand
and while I'm at work he gets whatever I managed to pump the day prior
and formula if needed.

I've been extremely lucky as he doesn't seem to care if it's me, bottle
or spoon - as long as it's food, he's happy. He's 6 months old now and
weighs in at 22lbs. Healthy, happy, giggly (I love that), getting ready
to crawl - Can't ask for more than that

Kristine

~Mom to Raven - my little "ChubberButt" - 04/01/03~

Old October 12th 03, 11:01 AM
Taniwha grrrl

Yup I do, Lydia has had formula every now and then since
birth, at the moment she has about two 150ml bottles a day,
one in the morning and one in the evening. And I leave a
bottle of formula for dh when I go out, but I have just
bought a breast pump so the plan is to hopefully leave
breastmilk now when I go out, I used it for the first time a
few day's ago and got 50mls in 5 minutes, so I figure if I
pump for 15 minutes I should get a 150ml bottle...I hope.

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Old October 12th 03, 11:42 AM
Andrea

I do, now and again. Also Kami is now on solids, and before anyone pounces
on me, I don't get how drugs are safe to take but formula is poison?

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 18lbs @ 18 weeks. (7lbs 9 and
a half born).

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
We took Moo boy swimming today and afterwards I settled down to
breasteed him, nothing unusual there, a few people do, some with
bottles, some with boob. Us parents were talking afterwards about
weaning and I said that I was going to wait until Moo was ready for
it, we talked about how we'd know that he was ready etc and one of the
dads was really surprised that he only ever has breast milk. Moo is
one of the healthiest looking babies there, he's so fat I swear the
water raises in the pool when we get in! The dad asked if it was
tough on me, and I agreed it can be but as it's not forever I was
prepared to do it for the good of the Moo.

It seems the others have either started their babies on solids at
around 4 months and/or are supplementing with forumla. Is this common
practice? I am not considering it for us but would like to know if
any of you lot supplement.

cheers (the first time I typed this it came out with a typo -
'chewers', maybe thats more apt for a teething boy!

teapot

Old October 12th 03, 12:53 PM
KC

I gave formula early on because of low diaper counts/dehydration, but
was eventually able to wean off with the use of galactagogues.

I also am feeding my baby rice cereal, and some fruits and veggies.
She is almost 5 months, but we started right at 4 months. She seemed
pale to me so I was happy to get her the extra iron in the cereal, and
she was soooooo ready. I had thought I might hold off until 6 months,
but she was just so ready staring at anything that went to our mouths
and lunging for it, and no more tongue thrust.

I also fed my first dd food at 4 months, and she wasn't ready at all.
We would get hardly any food into her, but with Jessi she lunges at
the food and opens wide and eats. She eats alot too even though I bf
her before and after. She was already 90th percentile in height 75th
for weight at her last check, we wonder how big she will get :-)

Jessi is just an early girl. She already sits up and is just about
crawling and has been able to stand at a table (if you put her there)
for 5 minutes since she was 3.5 months old.

KC -
buy or rent Whittlestone Breast Expressers at:
http://www.alittlestore.com

Old October 12th 03, 05:23 PM
Shannon

Babies are suppose(hasn't your doctor told you to start?) to start solids
around 5 months but breastmilk is still suppose to be the main source of
food. My boy was just born recently but he doesn't live with me right now so
he is supplemented with formula after till I get a pump anyhow. But
hopefully soon he will be home and I can strictly breastfeed him till solids
come in.

Shannon
mom to Heydn(born sept 23 2003)

Old October 12th 03, 05:33 PM
badgirl

top posting:

Let's clear up this little myth right now. Babies *can* start solids as soon
as 6 months but aren't "supposed to" Some babies don't start eating solids
until after a year of age and for them that's perfectly ok. Some babies are
ready as early as 4 or 5 months old but it's still better to wait until at
LEAST 6 months since their digestive systems really aren't ready until 6
months old. And doctors are there for medical advice, not parenting advice.

Jen
*who hopefully was just struck wrong by the way that the post below was
written*

Old October 12th 03, 05:41 PM
Shannon G

"Shannon" wrote in message
Babies are suppose(hasn't your doctor told you to start?) to start solids
around 5 months but breastmilk is still suppose to be the main source of
food. My boy was just born recently but he doesn't live with me right now

so
he is supplemented with formula after till I get a pump anyhow. But
hopefully soon he will be home and I can strictly breastfeed him till

solids
come in.

Babies are supposed to start solids when they are ready, which may by 4
months but most likely somewhere after 5 months, and may be much, much later
than that. When a babe initially starts experimenting with solids, the
solids should not replace any breastmilk (or formula, if you are
supplementing).

Shannon

Old October 12th 03, 05:56 PM
Emily Roysdon

Andrea wrote:
I do, now and again. Also Kami is now on solids, and before anyone pounces
on me, I don't get how drugs are safe to take but formula is poison?

I'm not sure anyone said formula is poison, but its use is linked to
numerous illnesses and bad effects to the baby (see
http://promom.org/101/index.html). Drugs (I assume you mean medications
and not street drugs like cocaine) have a certain molecular structure
that can measured, so people like Dr. Hale of _Medications and Mother's
Milk_ can tell how much of the drug can get into the milk, and how much
of a problem that might be. With formula, *all* of it goes into the
baby; with most medications a mother would take, very little, if any of
it, actually makes it through the milk to the baby.

That's my very unscientific explanation, but there you have it.

Emily, who would continue to breastfeed while taking almost any
medication, with formula being a far distant choice

Old October 12th 03, 09:00 PM
Andrea

"badgirl" wrote in message
top posting:

Let's clear up this little myth right now. Babies *can* start solids as

soon
as 6 months but aren't "supposed to" Some babies don't start eating solids
until after a year of age and for them that's perfectly ok. Some babies

are
ready as early as 4 or 5 months old but it's still better to wait until at
LEAST 6 months since their digestive systems really aren't ready until 6
months old. And doctors are there for medical advice, not parenting

advice.

Jen

Ok if dr's know what they are talking about, why was it they recommended
solids from 3 months, then they changed it to 4 months and now it's 6? I
think that show just how much they don't know.
I am the best judge of when *my* baby is ready for solids. Kami is 5 months
in a few days, and he loves his solids.
It was either introduce solids, or give up breastfeeding. This way he is
still breastfed, and has solids. In these situatuations moms have to decide
what's right in their individual circumstances.

Old October 12th 03, 09:02 PM
Andrea

"Anne Rogers" wrote,

He's at the bottom end of the age range for solids, but if he needs it
then he needs it. Nathanael's a week older and we tried him on some rice
as our HV reccomended it as he had lost weight, he hated it and clearly
wasn't ready, so we stopped.

I find my 5 babies never touched plain babyrice - I don't blame them it's
yuk! Kami like something with a bit of flavour, baby rice with a hint of
orange.