Transition from cribs to beds?

Old October 22nd 03, 09:16 PM
Jim Wehner

Default Transition from cribs to beds?

Oops, yeah... that's what I meant. She's not too optimistic that they'll
be readily accepting if, one night, they're in cribs & the next night it's
"sleep here now!" (in big kids' beds). Those are her thoughts, not
mine. I don't think there will be much of a problem.

Jim

H Schinske wrote:
wrote:

Last night, my wife commented on how we probably can just dismantle the
cribs and expect our twins to immediately adapt to beds.

Do you mean she thinks you *can't* do this? Ours adapted just fine. We used the
crib mattresses on the floor for a while, so it was all the same bedding and a
familiar feel, it just wasn't up high and enclosed.

--Helen

Old October 22nd 03, 10:04 PM
Nikolette

It wasn't a big crib, BC're just small. They seem like being
tangled together; and sometimes C will pop into B's bed because he doesn't
really like sleeping by himself and when he kicks off the blankets the cat
takes off. The toddler beds use crib mattresses so the size is just as if
they are sleeping in the crib together, except they can get out at will.

Nik

"Jim Wehner" wrote in message
They slept in a crib *together* when they were older than my
twins? Wow! Must've been a big crib. Ours were in a basinet together at
first, then separate basinets, then maybe 2 or 3 days together in a crib,
before we put them in separate cribs (at about 4 months, I think).

Anyway, thanks for the input. I'll send it on to my wife.

Jim
(daddy of Adam & Rebecca)

snip

Old October 22nd 03, 10:08 PM
TwinMom

Well, everyone has different methods, even our own family. For our boys
(2/96), we bought toddler beds at a garage sale and used them, with the crib
mattresses, for less than a year - they simply got too big for the
mattresses. When they were about 4, we bought them twin-sized Lo/Hi beds
from IKEA. These are "knock-down" (aka build them yourself) beds that go to
three heights. We used the "middle" height until they were about 7 and that
left the 3ft space underneath as a play area. HOWEVER, we used extreme
caution!! Their ladders were placed against the wall, and the beds were
"wrapped" in a homemade fabric "tent" of sorts - roof and panels that
covered all sides and tied down under the mattresses. There were openings
between the beds and at the doorways but other than that, there was no way
to accidentally fall out. Earlier this year, we moved the beds to the Hi
bunk position and the boys have a full 4-5 feet of play area underneath.
Both beds fit nicely into the room, while still giving the boys room to
play.

For our daughter (8/00), since we're a little more experienced, we are
skipping the toddler bed phase. We simply dropped one side of her crib and
gave her a two-step Rubbermaid step stool - very lightweight but sturdy.
She's been climbing in and out on her own for about a year now and, since
she is now getting too big for that mattress, we've ordered her a twin sized
day bed with a trundle underneath so that Grandma can stay over from time to
time.

For the boys, the Hi/Lo's worked well in one room, for the little girl, and
occasional company, the day bed option works also.

Old October 22nd 03, 10:58 PM
Nikolette

Wow, that Lo/Hi sounds fun! I wanted to get a trundle bed for the boys but
DH wanted the car bed so the trundle would've been too much right now;
trundles are such a great idea though.

--
Nik
Brendan and Cade, 09.26.00

Old October 22nd 03, 11:01 PM
David desJardins

TwinMom writes:
Well, everyone has different methods, even our own family. For our
boys (2/96), we bought toddler beds at a garage sale and used them,
with the crib mattresses, for less than a year - they simply got too
big for the mattresses. When they were about 4, we bought them
twin-sized Lo/Hi beds from IKEA.

US crib mattresses, and toddler beds, are 52 inches long. Surely your
4yo children couldn't have been 52 inches tall! The 99th percentile at
that age is about 44 inches.

There's nothing wrong with giving them bigger beds if they want them,
but I don't think it's really a necessity until much older.

David desJardins

Old October 22nd 03, 11:11 PM
Seth Jackson

On 22 Oct 2003 10:25:57 -0400, Jim Wehner
wrote:

Last night, my wife commented on how we probably can just dismantle the
cribs and expect our twins to immediately adapt to beds.

How have others done this with limited space in the house? We can't have
2 cribs & twins beds in their room at the same time.

We waited until at least one of our kids kept asking for a bed. By
the time she got the bed, she was so excited about it that there was
no problem whatsoever in making the transition. Our other kid didn't
show the same level of excitement, but he also went straight from crib
to bed with no problem.

We skipped the toddler beds and went directly to twin sized beds. We
bought a rail to prevent them from rolling out and falling onto the
floor.
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.co...lypictures.htm

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net