Most tonsil operations 'needless'

Old September 10th 04, 01:41 PM
john

Default Most tonsil operations 'needless'

"Tonsillectomies have become common procedures in the West, with 45,000 in
Britain every year...Adenotonsillectomies - where both the tonsils and
adenoids are removed - were performed on 115 of every 10,000 children in
Holland, but only 50 per 10,000 in the 1998. In Britain the rate was 65 per
10,000 children. The Dutch researchers ....found rates of fever were lower
during the first six months after an operation. But from then on, there were
no differences between the two groups. Writing in the online version the
British Medical Journal, they concluded that the operation 'little clinical
benefit'. "

Most tonsil operations 'needless'

Daily mail 10 Sept 2004

TOO many needless tonsil operations are being carried out, according to a
study published yesterday.

Tonsillectomies have become common procedures in the West, with 45,000 in
Britain every year.

But doctors are being far too hasty to use them to treat minor throat
infections claim researchers, and simply waiting see how a child's condition
develops is often just as effective.

The study highlighted big variations in the number of operations carried out
between countries.

Adenotonsillectomies - where both the tonsils and adenoids are removed -
were performed on 115 of every 10,000 children in Holland, but only 50 per
10,000 in 1998. In Britain the rate was 65 per 10,000 children. The Dutch
researchers monitored 300 two to eight-year -olds, of whom half had surgery
and half were subject to 'watchful waitng', over two years.

They found rates of fever were lower during the first six months after an

Old September 10th 04, 02:22 PM

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:41:06 +0000 (UTC), "john"
wrote:

"Tonsillectomies have become common procedures in the West, with 45,000 in
Britain every year...Adenotonsillectomies - where both the tonsils and

I had mine removed when I was 8, figuring that this could be
heridary(hey I can be parinoid too), and being a new dad, I looked up,
and asked doctors.

Now I'm repeating this from memory, so don't beat me up. I was told
it's not like it was 2 decades ago where they remove them because they
are troubled. It's understood they 'sacrifce' themselve in an
infection to protect the body and isolate the bacteria/virus and
attack it.

Now a set of requirements need to be met before removing them.
Something about size? Anyone know what this is, and if it actually
applied in today's medicine?

later,

tom

***************** Check Us Out *****************
http://www.CarFleaMarket.com
Discover low-cost sell my car ads to the web!
Old September 10th 04, 08:23 PM
backbeat

While there may be too many surgeries, some done for the wrong reason,
still, 7 strep infections in a year warrants the surgery. That was the
criteria used with my son. And, where he was getting very frequent strep,
now he gets no infections from strep because the place where the bug was
resident has been removed.. Proof is in the pudding- for me at least. Strep
is inherently a nasty bug...so the alternative: the risk of septicemia from
strep, or resistance developing from antibiotics, or even worse risk to
heart valves and the kidneys, make this surgery a viable option in some
cases.
backbeat

Old September 10th 04, 11:37 PM
MSEagan

My 18 year old son has developed very large tonsils. His throat does not
hurt (anymore) and all his blood work has come out fine, but he used to be a
very good competitive swimmer and he started complaining of fatigue and
inability to breathe (even with his inhaler) this past winter. I looked in
his throat and was amazed he had any room to breathe. The ENT doc is trying
him on a corticosteroid nasal spray to see if this might shrink things. One
side looks like it may have come down. But, I don't know if surgery is
something we should consider. Is there anyway they can do a biopsy of his
tonsils to see if an infection is hiding? Would it be worth a try to give
him a course of antibiotics in case there is a bacteria in there? I am just
not sure what we should do if things stay swollen. He does not snore. This
new study certainly gives me more reason to continue to watch without
cutting.

Marianne

Old September 11th 04, 08:45 PM
john

tonsil removal was the main cause of bulbar (iron lung) polio
http://www.whale.to/vaccine/polio4.html

Old September 12th 04, 09:10 AM
Peter Bowditch

"john" wrote:

tonsil removal was the main cause of bulbar (iron lung) polio

Just when you think that John could not say anything more foolish, he
says something like this and surpasses himself.

--
Peter Bowditch
The Green Light http://www.ratbags.com/greenlight
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com
Old September 12th 04, 02:30 PM
john

"Peter Bowditch" wrote in message
"john" wrote:

tonsil removal was the main cause of bulbar (iron lung) polio

Just when you think that John could not say anything more foolish, he
says something like this and surpasses himself.

Anything that doesn't come packaged with your pharma brainwashing you have
been conditioned to believe is foolish

"Dr. R. V. Southcott (Med. Jour. .Aust. 1953. ii. 281) believes that a child
whose tonsils were removed at the usual age of 5-7 yrs suffers trauma to the
nerves of the pharynx which increases susceptibility to bulbar poliomyelitis
for at least ten years. In an outbreak in South Australia in 1947-48 he
found that in 35 out of 39 cases of bulbar poliomyelitis the patient had
been tonsillectomised."--M. Meadow Bayly, M.R.C.S.,

Old September 12th 04, 02:35 PM

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:30:05 +0000 (UTC), "john"
wrote:

"Peter Bowditch" wrote in message
.. .
"john" wrote:

tonsil removal was the main cause of bulbar (iron lung) polio

Just when you think that John could not say anything more foolish, he
says something like this and surpasses himself.

Anything that doesn't come packaged with your pharma brainwashing you have
been conditioned to believe is foolish

"Dr. R. V. Southcott (Med. Jour. .Aust. 1953. ii. 281) believes that a child
whose tonsils were removed at the usual age of 5-7 yrs suffers trauma to the
nerves of the pharynx which increases susceptibility to bulbar poliomyelitis
for at least ten years. In an outbreak in South Australia in 1947-48 he
found that in 35 out of 39 cases of bulbar poliomyelitis the patient had
been tonsillectomised."--M. Meadow Bayly, M.R.C.S.,

Isn't common knoweledge that the removal of tonsils effects the immune
system as a whole?

Just asking,

tom

************* Got a Site? ****************
http://www.LinkSkyRise.com
Add your site to our Site for Free
Old September 18th 04, 06:44 PM
Kat

has anyone got/had those tonsil stones?? stinky things (? solid pus) from
their tonsils, I do feel better with mine out ( take n out at 19) I do
still think we are better off with tonsils if they do help keep infections
out...
news
wrote:

"Peter Bowditch" wrote in message
. ..

Old September 20th 04, 12:02 PM
gill

my oldest daughter suffered a lot of ear and throat infections, at the
age of 5 she had an operation to remove tonsills and adenoids. my
other daughter is 7 and has the same problems as her sister resulting
in time off scholl all she keeps getting is a six month checkup

Foster care needless in many cases sez DCF Chief Regier Fern5827 Spanking 0 March 6th 04 03:53 PM
Tonsil surgery Denise General 4 October 3rd 03 03:13 PM
Well I have GD, now what? Can I avoid needless interventions? jjmoreta Pregnancy 1 August 21st 03 03:29 PM