Sigh-Annual appointment with OB

Old November 15th 05, 03:40 PM
cjra96

Default Sigh-Annual appointment with OB

Anne Rogers wrote:
And it's not just how the uni in question perceives you. To get
funding, particularly NIH, if you haven't been active in research for
more than a year, it will be extremely hard to get a grant funded. No
grant funding means no research. And what do you do with your lab in
the year you're off? Your students, post-docs, etc? If by 'off' you
mean, check in every few days, meet with students and post-docs to go
over their projects, write papers whilst at home, go in to teach the
occassional class, then yeah, it's doable. If by 'off' you mean not
step foot in your lab for a year, well, you're very lucky you managed
it. Even my colleagues in the UK would argue they'd have a hard time
collaborating with someone who was absent from their lab for so long.

I think that was part of why my supervisor was so happy for me to have a
baby during a phd, he thought that long term that would be better for me and
no skin of his nose,

Whereas mine would have had a panic attack.

When you're doing a PhD, you're working on a specific project that is
usually of interest to the PI as well. If you stop the project for a
year, how "OK" that would be depends upon the research environment.
Stopping it may mean you get scooped - a bad thing for your PI as well
as the student.

If, OTOH, you're willing to ditch the project entirely and pass it on
to someone else, then come back later and start on an entirely new
project from scratch, then it could work.

This is also a little bit different in how the course of research goes
for a US PhD vs. a UK one. Obvioulsy, this is not true for all, I'm
speaking from experience of myself and many colleagues in both
countries. In the US, a student is more likely to start a prject from
scratch, taking a couple of years to develop, lay the ground work, if
there's field work involved then setting up the preliminaries. In the
UK, a student typically comes on to an already defined already
established project, of which they take up one component. As a result,
leaving it and passing it along to someone else is a littler easier
than it would be in the US. Again, this does indeed vary (I was at a
few different US universities and have been involved in 2 UK ones), but
I found this generalisation to be mostly true.

Old November 16th 05, 02:16 AM
medgirl

"cjra96" wrote in message

My sister took off more time when her kids were older (they're now
10,13,15) then when they were newborns - she had the first two when she
was a resident (her husband is also an MD). By the time they were
school age, she was comfortably established, and then in between jobs
when they moved for her husband's job. So taking off was no big deal.
Still, she never took more than 6 months. She did manage to do some
part time for awhile as well, but again that was later, after being
established in her career where she can negotiate.

I think it does make a big difference when you are done with
residency/fellowship in terms of having more flexibility. When I am
finished I plan to structure my schedule in a much more family-friendly way.

Sarah
DD 3/1/05

Old November 16th 05, 09:46 AM

Ditto.

Old November 16th 05, 09:51 AM

My tech niche happens to be in publishing, where, while things may
change a lot, the basics move like molasses. I'm not too worried about
it--I learned the programs on the job, I could do it again, and the
base experience with desktop publishing programs is worth far more than
happening to be hot on one particular incarnation of one particular
program.

Then again, the chances that I'll want to go back into publishing are
slim right now.

Old November 16th 05, 11:43 AM
Linz

wrote:
Ditto.

?

Old November 16th 05, 05:40 PM

When you're doing a PhD, you're working on a specific project that is
usually of interest to the PI as well. If you stop the project for a
year, how "OK" that would be depends upon the research environment.
Stopping it may mean you get scooped - a bad thing for your PI as well
as the student.

I used to be, and DH is, in a field where publishing is blind-reviewed
and there *is* no PI -- joint publications are very rare. There aren't
generally a lot of post-docs either, but most people take 6+ years for
the PhD. That makes you ~33 if you go straight through before you've
got a tenured position. Get a masters, as he did, or take a little
longer to publish, as many do, and you're ~40.

Given that I had severe pre-eclampsia at the age of 30 and that the
risk of developing it increases as you age, I guess I'm grateful that I
got off the PhD track. Mayhap I'll get back on in a few years.

Old November 16th 05, 06:36 PM

Anne Rogers wrote:

What kind of rheumatology issues do you have? I'm trying to have info in my
mind as I'm seeing one next month to see if they can shed any light on the
instability in my pelvis, I really haven't a clue what on earth they might
say and was quite surprised that this was who my GP referred me too, but a
dr friend said that would have been his course of action too, so it must be
the right thing.

I have psoriatic arthritis (a type of arthritis that about 15% of
people with psoriasis get). I am very fortunate that I have hardly any
issues with the psoriasis, but the arthritis, which I've had since
childhood and went undiagnosed for a long time, has done some real
damage to some of my joints. I take celebrex twice a day for the
inflammation (they've recently completed the testing in BFing women and
it is safe to take) and sulfasalazine to control the disease. The sulfa
is ok to take while pg or BF (I went off all drugs during my pregnancy
though since it went completely into remission) but my rheum. wanted me
to take methotrexate which of course is totally not OK for bf or pg
women (it is the drug they use in chemotherapy and also in a lower does
to flush out ectopic pregnancies -- which I've also had). But it is a
powerful drug for controlling arthritis.

I hope your new doctor can shed some light on your pelvic pain. Chronic
pain can be a really draining, depressing thing, not to be taken
lightly. It must be especially hard for you with two small children to
care for

Elle

Old November 17th 05, 06:16 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Thanks for the info, I don't think I have anything like that, I think we are
more looking at connective tissue issues, but I don't know for sure, I'm
more concerned that they will take one look at me and say nothing is wrong
in there field, which will be distressing, I don't know what is wrong or who
I need to see, so if I then have to join the back of another waiting list I
will be cross!

Where did you get all your drug information from? The official information
in the UK is very behind the times as they take the manufacturers info,
rather than the more uptodate deductions from newer research.

I'm particularly fearful that this will end with a referral to the pain
clinic, they are good, but there waiting list is VERY long.

Anne

Old November 17th 05, 11:39 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Where did you get all your drug information from? The official information
in the UK is very behind the times as they take the manufacturers info,
rather than the more uptodate deductions from newer research.

Hale's has published the results of the Celebrex trials, and the sulfa
I can't remember exactly but I looked at some studies on PubMed and
also my rheum. confirmed that it is safe.

I'm particularly fearful that this will end with a referral to the pain
clinic, they are good, but there waiting list is VERY long.

I find rheumatologists tend to be very aware of chronic pain issues,
they are very serious about investigating it and finding ways to
control pain. I hope you are in good hands with your new doc.

Elle

Old November 29th 05, 11:02 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Just found this, sorry for the late reply... the "ditto" was in
response to Larry's "I have one who weaned at 6 years to the day".
Because that's exactly how old dd1 was when she weaned.
Jenrose