Yikes! Major biting attacks!

Old October 24th 03, 05:05 AM
Laurie

Default Yikes! Major biting attacks!

I know this is a fairly FAQ, but I've done all the normal suggested things
and am still having problems. For about 10 days now, Christopher has been
biting me like mad. It hurts. A lot. He has 2 bottom teeth. I've tried
saying "NO!" loudly and putting him down, he always laughs. I've tried
pulling him in towards me, which works best to get him off less painfully,
but it doesn't stop him from biting. I'm getting better at telling when it's
going to happen and preventing it that way, ending a session immediately,
etc, but there are times when I KNOW he's hungry or wants to nurse to sleep
and he's biting as he's trying to latch on. I'm going crazy. Any other
suggestions? I've also tried offering chew toys before nursing, etc.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 2.5 years
and Christopher, 6 months

*This email address is now valid*

Old October 24th 03, 08:12 AM
news.eclipse.co.uk

"Laurie" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

When pulling him in are you cutting off his air briefly?

Nikki

Old October 24th 03, 03:34 PM
Nikki

Laurie wrote:
I know this is a fairly FAQ, but I've done all the normal suggested
things and am still having problems. For about 10 days now,
Christopher has been biting me like mad. It hurts. A lot. He has 2
bottom teeth. I've tried saying "NO!" loudly and putting him down,
he always laughs. I've tried pulling him in towards me, which works
best to get him off less painfully, but it doesn't stop him from
biting. I'm getting better at telling when it's going to happen and
preventing it that way, ending a session immediately, etc, but there
are times when I KNOW he's hungry or wants to nurse to sleep and he's
biting as he's trying to latch on. I'm going crazy. Any other
suggestions?

I struggled with Hunter doing the things you describe fore about 4 weeks.
He didn't get the messasge until I unlatched him, sat him down, and walked
out of the room. He didn't like me leaving him at all. I also then refused
to nurse him for 5 minutes or so even when I knew he wanted to. 5 days of
this and he stopped and never bit again. He was 10 months old. The
refusing to nurse was 50% accepted (probably times he didn't really want to)
and 50% screaming fit. I had to do it though as I was at the end of my rope
with the biting. Good thing he refused the bottle or I might have weaned
him at that time ;-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old October 24th 03, 04:20 PM
Laurie

news.eclipse.co.uk wrote in message
"Laurie" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

I'm not really sure. Probably for a second or so.

Old October 25th 03, 02:49 AM
Alphawave

Laurie says:

I'm getting better at telling when it's
going to happen and preventing it that way, ending a session
immediately, etc, but there are times when I KNOW he's hungry or wants
to nurse to sleep and he's biting as he's trying to latch on. I'm
going crazy. Any other suggestions?

Yikes. Sorry about the biting situation, Laurie. :-( The only thing I
can offer is what worked for me. The first time Quinn bit me, I
reflexively gasped. At first he laughed, then he saw the look of horror
on my face. He pouted for a few moments, then started to cry. The same
thing happened the second time he bit (except that time I got a little
more dramatic with my gasp and look of consternation). We haven't had
another bite since, and I'm hoping we won't have to play this out again.

I hope you find something that works for you SOON! :-)

-- Alpha
alphawave at earthlink dot net
Old October 25th 03, 02:56 AM
Laurie

Nikki wrote in message ...
I struggled with Hunter doing the things you describe fore about 4 weeks.
He didn't get the messasge until I unlatched him, sat him down, and walked
out of the room. He didn't like me leaving him at all. I also then

refused
to nurse him for 5 minutes or so even when I knew he wanted to. 5 days of
this and he stopped and never bit again. He was 10 months old. The
refusing to nurse was 50% accepted (probably times he didn't really want

to)
and 50% screaming fit. I had to do it though as I was at the end of my rope
with the biting. Good thing he refused the bottle or I might have weaned
him at that time ;-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Yeah, it's really difficult. Good to know it eventually stopped; thanks

Old October 25th 03, 02:56 AM
Laurie

Alphawave wrote in message ...
Laurie says:

I'm getting better at telling when it's
going to happen and preventing it that way, ending a session
immediately, etc, but there are times when I KNOW he's hungry or wants
to nurse to sleep and he's biting as he's trying to latch on. I'm
going crazy. Any other suggestions?

Yikes. Sorry about the biting situation, Laurie. :-( The only thing I
can offer is what worked for me. The first time Quinn bit me, I
reflexively gasped. At first he laughed, then he saw the look of horror
on my face. He pouted for a few moments, then started to cry. The same
thing happened the second time he bit (except that time I got a little
more dramatic with my gasp and look of consternation). We haven't had
another bite since, and I'm hoping we won't have to play this out again.

I hope you find something that works for you SOON! :-)

Me too. Thanks Alpha!

Old October 25th 03, 06:46 AM
Hope

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 04:05:02 GMT, "Laurie"
wrote:

[...]

I so feel your pain! my daughter is 10 months old and has cut her
first 4 teeth in the last week. She is biting me and I'm reading all
the advice you get with great interest.

Hope

--
Riley 1993 c/s
Tara 2002 HBAC

Oh lord, panic attacks again... Jill Pregnancy 3 May 25th 04 05:02 AM
Panic attacks. Jill Pregnancy 34 April 22nd 04 12:13 AM
Help stopping a panic attacks in progress? Jill Pregnancy 13 February 13th 04 02:55 PM
Panic Attacks caused by going off birth control dbrenz Pregnancy 3 October 1st 03 08:04 PM
[OT] What Is "Terrorism?" Catherine Woodgold General 39 August 10th 03 01:23 AM