pregnant eyes

Old March 16th 04, 07:17 PM
ted

Default pregnant eyes

I went for an eye check up today. I never had any eye exam done so I
thought I should get my eyes checked just for the heck of it. One of
my eyes was becoming red for no reason so I thought I would take this
as an excuse to see the eye doctor. Turns out it's just dry so becomes
irritated and red.

Anyways, the doctor did few other tests also and gave me a
prescription for eye glasses with very less power (0.5 & 0.5). I'm
sorry I don't know the technical term for this. I never had glasses
before and even now I can read and see everything clearly. I was
wondering if this is related to pregnancy at all. I remember reading
few threads about pg changing vision.

I want to ignore this prescription for glasses until I deliver (EDD
Sept) and then go for another eye exam to see if I still need them.
What do you think.

Thanks.
Old March 16th 04, 07:21 PM
Mary W.

ted wrote:

I want to ignore this prescription for glasses until I deliver (EDD
Sept) and then go for another eye exam to see if I still need them.
What do you think.

If you aren't having headaches or any other symptoms, I'd
probably wait and see, until after baby, if you really need
glasses.

FWIW, my eye doctor doesn't like to see me when
pregnant because of the changes that can happen
due to pregnancy. I'm due for my annual eye exam
next month and I'll probably put it off until after the
baby is here (July).

Mary

Old March 16th 04, 07:48 PM
Ericka Kammerer

ted wrote:

I went for an eye check up today. I never had any eye exam done so I
thought I should get my eyes checked just for the heck of it. One of
my eyes was becoming red for no reason so I thought I would take this
as an excuse to see the eye doctor. Turns out it's just dry so becomes
irritated and red.

Anyways, the doctor did few other tests also and gave me a
prescription for eye glasses with very less power (0.5 & 0.5). I'm
sorry I don't know the technical term for this. I never had glasses
before and even now I can read and see everything clearly. I was
wondering if this is related to pregnancy at all. I remember reading
few threads about pg changing vision.

I want to ignore this prescription for glasses until I deliver (EDD
Sept) and then go for another eye exam to see if I still need them.
What do you think.

It's quite common for your eyes to change during
pregnancy. My eye doctor recommends waiting a good six
weeks after delivery before an exam to make sure things
have settled down before investing in a new prescription.
Personally, given that you seem to be seeing well, I'd
be very unlikely to pay for glasses until after the
pregnancy.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 16th 04, 07:51 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

ted wrote:

I went for an eye check up today. I never had any eye exam done so I
thought I should get my eyes checked just for the heck of it. One of
my eyes was becoming red for no reason so I thought I would take this
as an excuse to see the eye doctor. Turns out it's just dry so becomes
irritated and red.

Anyways, the doctor did few other tests also and gave me a
prescription for eye glasses with very less power (0.5 & 0.5). I'm
sorry I don't know the technical term for this. I never had glasses
before and even now I can read and see everything clearly. I was
wondering if this is related to pregnancy at all. I remember reading
few threads about pg changing vision.

I've read that pregnancy can do things to your eyes. If everything in
your body relaxes, I guess it makes sense that the muscles in your eyes
might do that, too. I haven't noticed any change in my own eyesight,
though.

I want to ignore this prescription for glasses until I deliver (EDD
Sept) and then go for another eye exam to see if I still need them.
What do you think.

That depends. Do you have good insurance? If so, then why not get them
now, if you think they might be useful. That way you'll at least have
great eyesight for the duration of your pregnancy. If you can get
another pair covered after you deliver, then it should be no problem.
If you can live without them, though, then I would do that.

One thing, though - weak prescriptions are a *lot* cheaper than strong
ones (at least that is the case where I live), which should be good news
for you. I think that mine came up to about $200 or so CDN, with the
majority of that money going into designer frames and a
scratch-resistant coating on the lenses. The lenses themselves I think
were maybe $50. Poor DH, OTOH, payed over $400 for his, which are much
stronger. The lenses were quite expensive. His frames and
scratch-resistant coating cost about the same as mine. If you get a
pair now and the prescription needs to be changed later, they can use
the same frames, so it will cost you very little the second time around
(good thing if your insurance only covers one pair per year, or something).

Personally, I hate glasses so I only wear mine when I really need them.
For this reason, it's nice to have them around, but I really do hate
them, even with the nice frames. They're such a pain.

Old March 16th 04, 08:16 PM
R.Sitter

"ted" wrote in message
om...
[...]

your eyes can actually change shape during pregnancy, and you can definitely
have visual changes. did you tell the dr that you were pregnant?

unless your vision is being really disturbed, i would hold off and get a new
exam a couple of months afterward.

you should also tell your OB about any vision changes you're experiencing.
just to be on the safe side with pre-eclampsia and all.

randi
mother of megan, 10, riley, 13mos, and chloe due 3/30/04

Old March 16th 04, 09:22 PM
Anne Rogers

as I understand it that kind of power you don't need to wear glasses
unless you are aware of a specific activity you are struggling with, if
you don't feel you need to wear glasses and you can pass the eye sight
standard for driving then you should be fine.
Old March 17th 04, 01:08 AM
Leanne

As far as I know you aren't supposed to get your eyes tested for reading etc
while pregnant as your vision can change.

Old March 17th 04, 12:34 PM
Sue

You're really not supposed to get your eyes tested during pregnancy because
your eyesight can really change. Also, wearing glasses when you really don't
need them may cause your eyes to be weaker. If you can see, then I wouldn't
wear the glasses and just wait after the baby is born. Also, the hormones
that continue to go through your body while you are breastfeeding can also
change things. So I would wait if I were you. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

om...

Old March 17th 04, 09:27 PM
Amy

One thing, though - weak prescriptions are a *lot* cheaper than strong
ones (at least that is the case where I live), which should be good news
for you.

I wonder if that's because with the stronger prescriptions they have to use
superthin lenses with these trendy new frames to avoid the 'goldfish bowl'
look. I have a prescription of -4.75 in one, -6.00 in the other, and I opted
for the thinnest lenses they had, which I know are more expensive.
They still overlap the edges of the frames considerably, so I wear contacts
most of the time.

Old March 17th 04, 09:29 PM
Amy

Here in NZ you don't need a script for glasses that low powered, you can get
a pair on the reading glasses stand for between $10 - $20 at most department
stores.

om...